Author Topic: Down under up top - 1988 K75s - My first K  (Read 4672 times)

Offline ppmk75s

• Curious
Down under up top - 1988 K75s - My first K
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
Hi there,

I just arrived in the US and picked myself up a 1988 K75s in dull red. 17,000miles, running reasonably smoothly as far as I can tell from the 10 minute test ride I took before snapping it up.

Visiting from Australia and planning a few California trips and possibly further East or up to BC.

I am based in Marina del Ray, CA just staying with some friends for the next few weeks.

I am going to register the bike on Monday morning so that I can move it but would like to do simple run through on the bike beforehand as it has been sitting for a good 4 years with only the occasional run. I already picked up oils, coolant, plugs and filters. My garage/work space has just fallen through so I am looking for anyone at all interested in a 'mow-your-lawn/buy-you-some-beer-in-exchange-for-a-few-hours-in-your-garage-with-your-tools'. Wishful thinking but it's always worth a try.

Plan is to give it the general service and get riding before pulling it off the road in two weeks for a re-paint in gloss white and at that time I will fit new tyres, braided lines, brake pads and some tragkorbs if I can find some reasonably priced ones.

Here is a pic of the bike. That mark on the bottom/front left side of the tank is a patched hole that I will re-inspect when I get the fairing off. 

Any K'ers in the area?

Great site thanks!

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Down under up top - 1988 K75s - My first K
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
Hi there,

I just arrived in the US and picked myself up a 1988 K75s in dull red. 17,000miles, running reasonably smoothly as far as I can tell from the 10 minute test ride I took before snapping it up.

Good looking 75 considering its age factor.

Be me, I would also lube the drive-shaft splines for peace of mind.  Clutch splines can wait till 40 K, sooner if you experience hard down shifting. If you have to rev to make a DS happen, warning sign that the input side need lubrication attention.

At the 17K marKer your whip is a baby.

Congrats and welcome to motobricK _________.  :k75s :k75s :k75s

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
If you feel like heading east for a couple of hours on I-10 to Rancho Mirage I've got some free time this week and all the tools you'll need.

Welcome to motobrick.com. :mbird

(Oh, and it's Marina Del Rey. You Ozzies need to work on your Spanish. :laugh)
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline ppmk75s

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
Hi DRxBMW,

Thanks for the tip. I had intended to do the drive shaft splines too as I've read up a lot on the importance of keeping that checked.

Offline ppmk75s

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
Hey frankenduck

Thanks for the offer! I got a hold of some tools this morning so will get most of the work done tomorrow morning after I get back from the DMV to register the bike. I will probably take a ride out your way in the next couple of weeks so I will keep in touch.

That's funny I've just spent three months learning spanish in Mexico and the Ray/Rey slipped me by..  :loco:

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
greetings ppmk75s...

they speak spanglish in socal and in mexico..

if want to learn spanish you should go to spain...

just saying...

there are lotts o sources for motobrick components in socal... holler if you need something...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »
If you get out this way(Rancho Mirage) in the next week or so you can stop by for a TB synch.  I've got a TwinMax with me and it only takes a minute or two on a K75S since no bodywork has to be removed to get to the throttle bodies.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Tags: