Author Topic: Spline Lube Goo - TS-60 (Son of Guard Dog 525 Grease)  (Read 1587 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Spline Lube Goo - TS-60 (Son of Guard Dog 525 Grease)
« on: January 28, 2022, 11:48:13 PM »
Available at Ted Porter's Beemershop:
https://www.beemershop.com/product/ts-60-spline-lube.html

You can find out more about it by reading post #6 in this MOA thread:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?97219-Moly-lube-for-spline-shafts
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
Re: Spline Lube Goo - TS-60 (Son of Guard Dog 525)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 07:40:04 AM »
TAKE NOTICE: OBSESSIVE DIRECTIONS FROM MANUFACTURER
For splines and other mechanical components, clean off old lubricant with solvent and blow dry. Using fine bristle brush, work TS-60 into crevices of splines leaving only a thin coating of grease on the spline surface. Brush off excess grease. For clutch spline applications, only apply to the transmission spline, do not apply to the female spline of the clutch plate.

It's no wonder it can't be flung off; excess application is discouraged, but don't let that stop you. It's only $12.76 an ounce.  If you can't afford flinging that, you shouldn't own a Brick. :laughing4-giggles:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 11:04:43 AM »
TAKE NOTICE: OBSESSIVE DIRECTIONS FROM MANUFACTURER
For splines and other mechanical components, clean off old lubricant with solvent and blow dry. Using fine bristle brush, work TS-60 into crevices of splines leaving only a thin coating of grease on the spline surface. Brush off excess grease. For clutch spline applications, only apply to the transmission spline, do not apply to the female spline of the clutch plate.

It's no wonder it can't be flung off; excess application is discouraged, but don't let that stop you. It's only $12.76 an ounce.  If you can't afford flinging that, you shouldn't own a Brick. :laughing4-giggles:

Let's say you waste a buck or two of spline goo every 40,000 miles. Big deal. Heck, let's say you have really extravagant deep pockets and waste a whole $5 of spline goo every 40,000 miles. Meanwhile you've spent maybe $1,000 on tires and purchased at least 800 gallons of gas. Let's say gas costs $2 per gallon. Over 40K just gas and tires costs $2,600. Even excluding other costs of ownership, "wasting" $5 worth of spline goo worst case increases the ongoing cost of ownership by a whopping 0.2%. :johnny

I've been using a thick application of spline goo for almost 20 years now on numerous Ks and it's never caused any issues. Nor has it had a material impact on my wealth.

At least to me, a much bigger issue is being able to recognize when the splines are getting "dry" and a lack of lubrication is causing excessive spline wear. I can tell from experience (including completely stripping the clutch splines on a K75RT back when I was a Knoob and knew very little about splines) that false neutrals on downshifts is a typical symptom of "dry" splines.  I've also purchased several used Ks that exhibited that behavior but once I gave them a clutch spline lube it went away.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 12:07:38 PM »
. . . Nor has it had a material impact on my wealth.
If the eight or so Bricks you own haven't had an impact already, I'm not surprised.  :laughing4-giggles:  Glopping is simply wasting material—a First World pastime. The splines don't go "dry." The molybdemun or graphite material wears off.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Tags: