TECHNICAL MOTOBRICK WRENCHING In Remembrance of Inge K. > The Motobrick Workshop

transmission fluid poll

(1/7) > >>

DavidATL:

I'd like to improve the 1-2 shift on my K75.

This is my second K-bike and neither had a great 1-2 shift. I don't know all the history of my current bike but I believe it has BMW Super Syn that is at least 10 years old. No idea regarding mileage but the bike only has 19k. The transmission drain plug is about as dirty as the rest of the underside so it was not changed recently.

Given the unknown but multi-year age, any change is warranted and will probably improve things. Even so, I thought I'd consult the Motobrick hive via a most unscientific method: the voluntary anecdote-based poll!!!!! So...

What do you use?

These seem the most popular:
- BMW Super Synthetic gear oil SAE 75W140
- Mobil 1 75w140
- Mobil 1 75w140 + Liqui Moly 2019 MoS2 Anti-Friction Gear Lubricant
- Redline Heavy ShockProof

or some other witch's brew of dead dino squeezings and slick-as-snot nasa goop?

Chaos:
Valvoline synthetic 75-90 helped mine, but that 1 - 2 shift is never going to be buttery smooth.  Best bet is to spend some time on a Ural, after crunching that box of rocks the K will seem like an automatic.

The Mighty Gryphon:
I use synthetic gear lube(no specific brand, but mostly Mobil 1) to which I add about 2-3 heaping tablespoons of 1.5 micron molybdenum disulfide powder.  It takes about a hundred miles to completely treat the internals, but I have noticed a noticeable improvement in the smoothness of shifting, especially down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st.

I also lube the transmission input shaft splines with Honda Moly 60 to help the clutch disengage smoothly.  This is another maintenance item that helps with downshifting.

DavidATL:

--- Quote from: Chaos on January 15, 2017, 10:33:58 PM ---...
 Best bet is to spend some time on a Ural, after crunching that box of rocks the K will seem like an automatic.
--- End quote ---

now that is funny, right there. :-)

--- Quote from: The Mighty Gryphon on January 15, 2017, 10:37:04 PM ---
also lube the transmission input shaft splines with Honda Moly 60 to help the clutch disengage smoothly.  This is another maintenance item that helps with downshifting.

--- End quote ---

I did this right after I purchased the bike last summer and it did make some improvement. It was pretty dry but fortunately didn't have significant wear on the splines. I have 2 or so applications left of Guard Dog moly (aka unobtainium).

I know the K transmission will never shift like my prior Hondas. But the rest of the bike MORE than makes up for it! :-)

The Mighty Gryphon:
Put some of this stuff in your transmission and it will help make things more like a Honda.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391442186584?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version