Author Topic: gearbox,wrecked clutch pics and resetting the abs  (Read 12483 times)

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
gearbox,wrecked clutch pics and resetting the abs
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »
hi, i have a 1991 k75rt and the drive has gone, i think its the input shaft so thinking of changing the gearbox complete, but until i strip the bike down i dont know for sure, does anyone know if a k100 gearbox will fit a k75 engine? reason being as there are more k100 parts available, is there any difference in gearing or is all this done via the bevel gear final drive,

thanks in advance
1991 K75rt

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: gearboxs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »
Any K100 or K1100 transmission will bolt right up to a K75.

The only gearing difference is fifth gear. 1.67 on a K75 vs. 1,61 on a four cylinder bike.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »
Hopefully when you get it tore down, you will just find a stripped clutch friction plate.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »
This is exactly what I have found is this common? Any idea why this could thave happened? :confused:
1991 K75rt

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »
When splines are not kept properly lubed they wear out due to metal sliding against metal under load.  Friction is the cause.

More here: Dr. L. Duck Hubbard explains: Splientology                  
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
i think we are crossed purposes, yes the teethe on the clutch splines were worn but not that stripped out however... the centre of the cluch friction plate was ripped from the plate itself!!!
1991 K75rt

Rick G

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:27:43 AM »
So was it the very center that is rivited in or did the steel of the plate crack and break.

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »
it was the steel around the rivets almost broke directly around the collar, i have pics will try to upload them
1991 K75rt

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Hit the Reply button and then "Attachments and other options" below the replay test frame.
Buy parts here.

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »
some pics,,,
1991 K75rt

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
whoops
1991 K75rt

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 04:11:37 PM »
splines worn, no sign of any grease what so ever!! so much for "its had a new clutch" means nothing if its badly installed!!! there was not dowels in the gearbox or the back of the engine and i suspect mis alignment upon installation may have had a part in this as there are signs of fracture and stress splits and metal fatigue around the metal where it has sheared
1991 K75rt

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
rear view
1991 K75rt

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
side view, the clutch was slightly worn, thanks for all your help, the bike is back with a new clutch, repaired drive shaft (new splines) proper grease in the proper places, and rides like well its amazing, i love this bike it always makes me smile and realise why i love riding bikes so much, behind the bars is such a nice place to be, whatever the weather!,

incidentley i had a bitch of a time resetting the abs, i ended earthing the dealer socket centre pin to the abs earth which is directly to the frame and it worked first try, after about 10 failed attempts, could be just purely coincidence but thought id mention it. i will post a pic of the old girl now i know how to it (thanks franken duck)
1991 K75rt

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
Re: gearbox,wrecked clutch pics and resetting the abs
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
Holy cow!

Here's what aligns the trans with the bellhousing.  Those are still there, right?
Buy parts here.

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 04:26:28 PM »
for those of you who are unsure i held the abs button down, whilst still holding down i switched on the ignition, counted to a good thirty (was about x30 blinks of the abs light) then switched off the ignition whilst still holding the abs rocker switch down. As i said about 10x failed attempts trying to earth a wire from the centre of the 3 x pin dealer socket (brown wire i think) to the bike, incidentally whilst trying this the abs light did not blink. then as soon as i ran an earth from the centre of the dealer plug behind the right hand side panel to the actual abs earth, in the resetting process explained above the abs light was blinking, after the 30x seconds or blinks hey presto it worked

could be purely coincidental as i say but it worked for me
1991 K75rt

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »
no, some goon in its 112k has lost them!! :loco: so i had to make some, they are in place now.
1991 K75rt

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
I'll bet that was the source of your problem.

My guess would be that a lazy mechanic who couldn't get things lined up properly removed them.  They don't just fall out.
Buy parts here.

Offline neo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
i rekon to, why people do these things is beyond me!! on a different subject spain have just beat france 2-0 in the euros, wish us luck on sunday were playing italy, i think we will need all the luck in the we can get :loopy:

still stunned about that friction plate!, hope no more problems manifest, i carried out the procedure to my best mechanical ability  :hmm: oh ye of little faith!! :tongue
1991 K75rt

Rick G

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »
Not having the locating dowels is where the problem was for sure. I have also seen the same damage from a plate center being bent when letting the gearbox hang on the shaft at the time of instalation. Don't ask how I know.

Tags: