Author Topic: Electrical whack....looks like I bypassed the ignition switch  (Read 263 times)

Offline TriSpark

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Electrical whack....looks like I bypassed the ignition switch
« on: September 15, 2023, 08:30:14 PM »
Here's your electrical whack puzzle for the weekend, folks.

I've been working on a non-start issue with my '87 K75s for a while now, tracing it to a failed starter motor and seized fuel pump last year. Put a new fuel pump in the tank and it now goes buzz buzz nicely when 12V is applied. After 35 years the original was probably a bit tired anyway.

I stripped and rebuilt the old starter motor myself with new brushes, it would spin when turned by hand off the bike and thought it was sorted, but when I reinstalled it and fired it up again the cable from the starter relay to the motor caught fire. Oops ! I had the battery disconnected in a few seconds but it already toasted that cable. I ended up with a pre-owned BMW - Nippondenso starter from fleabay, and learned how to bench test starter motors along the way. I had O'Reillys test the old motor and confirm it was jammed, and that the replacement was good, so that is on the bike now.

I manged to cook the starter relay in the cable melting episode too, and put in a new Bosch one, as well as a new cable to the starter motor. I put it all together again today, and of course had forgotten which cables go to which battery terminals, so just attached the Pos and Neg, temporarily leaving off the connectors to the starter relay and FI relay that also go to Pos. Once these were secured, I realized the headlight and all lights were on, and the starter motor would spin when the green button was pressed.....which was great, except there was no key in the ignition.......

Looks like I have bypassed the ignition switch, but I have only been working around the fuse/relay box and the starter area. Has anybody else seen this before? Have I missed something obvious and/or wired in the relay wrong?
  • Chattanooga TN
  • Red 1987 K75s

Tags: