Author Topic: Cant get out of neutral (video)  (Read 479 times)

Offline taron32

• Motobrick Curious
Cant get out of neutral (video)
« on: November 30, 2023, 11:36:21 PM »
Purchased this 1992 K75S with everything working flawlessly during the test drive with all maintenance docs on hand. Ive done a lot to this bike but completely avoided anything to do with the transmission because I'm novice at building and I'm learning as I go. Only thing mildly related to the transmission that Ive touched has been the new rear sets and adjusting the clutch cable length. Throughout the build i've been able to get it in and out of neutral when i had to transport it, but now it's stuck there.

Now I'm nearing completion (still can't start the bike for another 2 weeks) and I noticed that the bike wont go into any gears. If you listen to the video you'll hear that when I shift down once, it will make a certain noice then wont make that noise again. when i shift up, again it will make a certain noise but wont make it again if i keep shifting up. Its been a long day and i hope that makes sense..

Any idea what this could be?

• Garage
  • 1992 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K75S

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Cant get out of neutral (video)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 12:24:39 AM »
Ive . . .completely avoided anything to do with the transmission because I'm novice at building and I'm learning as I go. Only thing mildly related to the transmission that Ive touched has been the new rear sets and adjusting the clutch cable length.
Does this mean that after setting the cable length you did not do a basic clutch adjustment as outlined below? If so, perhaps you should.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline taron32

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 01:38:37 AM »
Does this mean that after setting the cable length you did not do a basic clutch adjustment as outlined below? If so, perhaps you should.

Hi Laitch, I did not make this adjustment. thank you for that info. that being said, and obviously im still trying to figure all this out but if the bike is turned off, wouldnt the clutch not matter when trying to engage other gears like 1 and 2? In this video i removed my exhaust for a better view and i tried it twice, once with the clutch cable completely removed, and another time with the clutch fully engaged and i still cant get into any other gear

sorry for the youtube "shorts", youtube forced it because of the video orientation
https://youtube.com/shorts/XR8MJdyQqJY
  • Garage
  • 1992 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K75S

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 08:47:29 AM »
Hi Laitch, I did not make this adjustment. thank you for that info. that being said, and obviously im still trying to figure all this out but if the bike is turned off, wouldnt the clutch not matter when trying to engage other gears like 1 and 2?
I suggest hypothesizing how things might work will not solve this conundrum. Do the basic adjustment as described; double check your work. On a motorcycle that is not running and not rolling, shifting sometimes needs double clutching, sometimes needs the drivetrain jostled but don't do either until you've done the basic adjustment, and you have a full grasp of procedure. You're out in the weeds right now.

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 10:34:18 AM »
Can you start the engine?  Start it and try again, I'm pretty sure that if you do, the shifter will work.  Even bumping the starter briefly can help. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline taron32

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 12:47:48 AM »
update: god i feel stupid. it was as simple as rolling the wheel back a bit. getting into gear fine now
  • Garage
  • 1992 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K75S

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 01:13:38 AM »
Thanks for the update.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles