Author Topic: K1100RS by wooboodoo  (Read 14107 times)

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
K1100RS by wooboodoo
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:54:38 PM »
 :welcome

Well, probably more people gonna hate me than like for what I'm doing (even my wife said that I'm crazy and she like original version better) but I hope to share some info with few people who gonna find this thread useful Smile
Few months ago I found online picture of K100 modded by Retrorides by Laurencno Brothers and I fallen in love.
I don't know why, I said to myself this is what I want ! Period.
About 8 years ago we closed small ironwork shop upstate NY but all tools and equipment is still there almost forgotten, so I turned it for new home for my 93 K1100RS.
Originally I was looking to buy a K100 but couldn't find anything in decent condition and reasonable price. After a few months of searching I was lucky to find 1993 K1100RS with 34K miles for $1500, couldn't resist ;)
And here this story begins... actually it begun June second so I have some progress done, I'll try to catch up this thread asap.

It was the next day after purchase...

IMG_3457 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3458 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Few hours later...

IMG_3460 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3461 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

• Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
Re: K1100RS by wooboodoo
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:51:38 AM »
To be honest I though that parting out process will be way easier, I was wrong lol

IMG_3619 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3621 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3620 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3625 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

A cozy mice house in the filter box? well this bike was parked in the barn and undriven past couple of years so why not ;)

IMG_3622 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3641 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

The engine under the filter box was a totally disaster, same in the battery area... poor, "unloved" beemer

IMG_3634 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3635 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3636 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3637 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3645 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Almost ready for frame cut !

IMG_3647 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

• Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 01:10:07 AM »

Now time for fun part !

IMG_3656 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Yea I know - safety first... don't do this the way I did grab some safety glasses. 

IMG_3658 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

I had to extend the pipe to relocate the vin number and make additional support.

IMG_3671 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3679 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Now finally I can play with horizontal suspension arm, for the beginning I got some Chinese, cheap 300mm shock for welding purposes while I was waiting for the British NITRON NTR R1, I trust NITRON more than YSS and will not pay about $1K for Ohlins...

IMG_3672 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3680 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Clean and ready to weld, since I'm crazy about welds it gonna look like there's no weld

IMG_3682 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

So far worst part of this project, it took me almost a day to adjust the seat supports the way I like (accept) these... Wish I had somebody to help me.

IMG_3683 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3684 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Outer welds done, I applied some primer to prevent corrosion will do inner welds when take the frame off the engine but first I have to create some battery holder, still undecided which way to go...

IMG_3685 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3686 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

I would say - not bad ;)

IMG_3693 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

• Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 01:19:07 AM »

Recently I got awaited shipment so finally I was able to install the shock, not bad but do I really like this color? 
In the meantime I found the company Fast Bike Industries LLC and looks like they have in stock metalic black color spring for my shock so I'll order to see which one I like better.

IMG_3893 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Still trying to figure out how to hide this battery, alone or together with ecu? maybe better place for ecu gonna be under the seat? Idk but will decide next weekend I mean I have to finally because it takes too long... Will appreciate any suggestions maybe some pictures ?

IMG_3894 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_3895 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

I got a phone call from Fast Bike Industries LLC today that my new spring and some other shock parts are on the way !

• Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 01:28:00 AM »
You're making an intricate and well-fabricated design in an adventurous place to throw sparks. :-) Thanks for the clear photos of what's happening. Please keep them coming.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline TommyT

• New Brick Owner
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 06:02:15 AM »
  Wish I had somebody to help me
Where are you doing this work? Upstate NY?
  • Olive NY
  • 1990 K75RT, 1991 K100 16V(2), 1986 K75 "T"

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
You're making an intricate and well-fabricated design in an adventurous place to throw sparks. :-) Thanks for the clear photos of what's happening. Please keep them coming.

Thank you, sir ! :)
Yes, this place was built to throw sparks, but these not been seen for several years, I hope I will throw much more with the new project that I have in my mind already ;)
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 12:52:51 PM »
Where are you doing this work? Upstate NY?

I live and work in the city but on my bike I work upstate NY in Gilboa every weekend or so that’s why it takes so long... but the hardest stuff is done now I’ll put everything together slowly.
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
I live and work in the city but on my bike I work upstate NY in Gilboa every weekend or so that’s why it takes so long... but the hardest stuff is done now I’ll put everything together slowly.

That's a long way from Brooklyn, amazing how much you get done.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline TommyT

• New Brick Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »
Well I am not too far away, I am on the other side of RT 28 before you turn to go up to Hunter Mtn. I like to see what you are doing one day and if maybe you need another hand , give one.
  • Olive NY

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 10:13:21 PM »
That's a long way from Brooklyn, amazing how much you get done.

Well, if I'm lucky and there's no traffic it takes me 3 hours... also I have to share my time with bike and family since wife and kids love Catskills they are always with me ;)
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »
Well I am not too far away, I am on the other side of RT 28 before you turn to go up to Hunter Mtn. I like to see what you are doing one day and if maybe you need another hand , give one.

Looks like you're about one hour from me if you'll take rt42 then 23A... not so bad especially when you can enjoy the ride and beautiful view. We have to definitely hangout one day !
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline E30_Crazy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 10:50:15 PM »
I would be interested, if you find yourself selling anything. In particular the side panels, maybe the seat.
  • Newport News, Virginia
  • '85 K100, '93 K1100RS
God created Crew Chiefs so Fighter Pilots could have heroes, too.

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 11:25:09 PM »

The next step was finally removing the frame for inner welds, but before I had to double check the seat support angle if both match perfectly... Thankfully these did lol ;)

IMG_4005 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Since I will rewire whole electric installation I decided to go with motogadget m.unit blue. I think that best spot for this little device gonna be just under the tank with bolts welded directly to the frame for best ground, just making sure everything gonna clear nicely...

IMG_4001 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4003 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4002 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Welding, clearing and preparing for paint... I know that powder coating is better option but unfortunately I couldn't find anybody in reasonable distance for this job, my electric oven is too small to fit the frame... oh well even if it could fit instead of powdercoating I would go with cerakote since I'll cerakote all aluminum parts including engine covers.
Anyway, primed with 2K epoxy primer and ready for paint, hopefully it gonna last few years if not I gonna think about it later ;)

IMG_4025 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4026 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

For the finish coat after a long research I picked VHT SP139 Engine Enamel GM Satin Black, don't ask me why...

IMG_4027 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4028 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4029 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

I will let it dry now and move to the engine subject... ;)

• Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 11:29:54 PM »
I would be interested, if you find yourself selling anything. In particular the side panels, maybe the seat.

Sure, I still have all panels and seat just let me know what parts exactly you need and I'll snap some good pictures for you next weekend.
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 12:20:11 AM »
Fantastic progress. The pictures are great, and will make a superb scrapbook history when the brick is completed. Looking forward to seeing the ceracote process.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
Fantastic progress. The pictures are great, and will make a superb scrapbook history when the brick is completed. Looking forward to seeing the ceracote process.

Thank you very much ! ;)
As about the cerakote I have two types, the oven cured H series and the air cured C series in the same color and finish. For the suspension arm, seat supports and side engine covers I’ll go with H series but for front engine cover I want to go with C series since there’s oring and I don’t think so it is good idea to bake it in 300*F and it want leaking so I don’t want to remove it and install new one.
Preparing for cerakote is real pain... engine covers was painted from factory so I had to use a paint remover to take as much paint as I could then sand paper and sandblasting. I started blasting with glass media but finish is to fine for me I want it to be more matte so I just got aluminum oxide media 70 grid to cut a little bit deeper.
I’ll try to find time tomorrow to see if I like it better.
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline TommyT

• New Brick Owner
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
Looks like you're about one hour from me if you'll take rt42 then 23A... not so bad especially when you can enjoy the ride and beautiful view. We have to definitely hangout one day !
I ride around there alot, very pretty roads yes. I do a Hunter Windham loop often.  Let me know when you are up there and I can ride up. I maybe getting a 1100 RS soon, it would be a good ride to stretch it's legs...
  • Olive NY

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 09:28:25 AM »
Hi Wooboodoo,

Nice work, I really like the seat and spring kits available, not cheap though. Good luck with the rest of your build and keep the pictures coming.

Dave
  • Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »
I ride around there alot, very pretty roads yes. I do a Hunter Windham loop often.  Let me know when you are up there and I can ride up. I maybe getting a 1100 RS soon, it would be a good ride to stretch it's legs...

I thought that I’ll be there this coming weekend but looks like my wife made different plans so I’ll probably see you next weekend...
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »
Hi Wooboodoo,

Nice work, I really like the seat and spring kits available, not cheap though. Good luck with the rest of your build and keep the pictures coming.

Dave

Thank you Dave,
I do have some progress pics and will upload asap. ;)

• Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline almostordinary

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 05:17:21 PM »
Nicely done!
  • Los Angeles
  • 1991 K75s

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 07:21:34 PM »
Ok, the next step was to take the engine apart for cleaning and painting. I recorded a short video while engine was still running because I could hear some disturbing noise.

Folks on FB forum said that’s absolutely nothing to worry about or eventually to inspect the monkey nuts. Looks like monkey nuts are ok to me, now I’m not sure where that noise was coming from? Somebody mentioned old oil... maybe? We’ll see...  However I bought new ones just in case ;)

IMG_4031 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Taking the engine covers off and separating gear box was a good opportunity to inspect the engine closer.

IMG_E4074 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4075 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4088 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4093 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Looks like the cracked clutch pushrod boot caused long term leak because the back of the gear box was very dirty.

Also realized that the gear position sensor isn’t in good condition I think that I’ll try to apply some new epoxy layer on the top of the wires, hopefully it's gonna help.

IMG_E4094 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Mice had no mercy :( I understand in the air filter box but in the engine? Slight exaggeration...

IMG_E4104 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4105 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Ok, cleaning and preparing for paint, it was one long day.... degreaser, brakleen, acetone, brass brushes, scratch pads and many more took me the whole day to clean it properly.

IMG_E4106 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4107 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4108 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4109 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4111 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Two wet coats of 2K epoxy primer and VHT SP130 Engine Enamel Flat Black is my engine and gear box finish.

IMG_E4112 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4113 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

As I mention before I’ll apply cerakote on the engine covers and other aluminum brackets and supports...

Well I did start with the front engine cover because of the oring it can’t be baked/cured in 300*F so for this panel I chose an air cured C type cerakote, I painted it and unfortunately I’m not happy with the finish :( it’s way too shiny for me and I have to take it down, probably sand blasting again.

I start to study cerakote manuals all over again and “miracle” ! I found information that there’s an alternative option to cure/bake H type cerakote instead 1 hour in 300*F  2 hours in 175*F !!!

Why does this matter? Well the C type cerakote is one component product and we have no influence for finished product but H type cerakote is 2 component product which requires catalyst and mixing these two components in different ratios will give us different finishes, I’ll definitely go with 24:1 matte finish.

Cerakote ratio by wooboodoo, on Flickr

• Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Offline wooboodoo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 12:15:17 AM »
Hopefully next weekend I'll start assembling back the engine and I will attach the frame to the engine, it would be cool and motivating ;)
In the meantime I've checked the screws size and thread pitch to order some quality bolts since the oem look terrible...

IMG_4119 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4118 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

I got super corrosion resistant stainless steal 316 bolts and Bumax 109 washers.

IMG_4157 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4158 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4159 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Mystery package from FBI ?!  :johnny

IMG_4160 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Yup... New spring arrived in different I believe better color and some other goodies... wrench and spare bushings with orings.

IMG_4161 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4164 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Getting back to the sandblasting media and cerakote process... Here I have some samples of Glass Bead 80 Grit and Aluminum Oxide 70 Grit and of course cerakote C series.

Glass Bead 80 Grit (too fine for me).

IMG_4165 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Aluminum Oxide 70 Grit (way better).

IMG_4169 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Beautiful, 26 year old engine cover bolts ;)

IMG_4177 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4178 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Blasted and soaked in the acetone (approx 30 min) rubber gaskets lifted up and protected, acetone and rubber is not good combination, be careful :-/

IMG_4179 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4181 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

C series...

IMG_4182 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

And here we have finished product, as I mentioned it's too shiny for me but I'll leave these screws with this finish for now.

IMG_4211 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_4210 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

What can I say about the front engine cover? Well first of all use tack cloth or very strong compressor, make sure there's no dust in the room... no compromises cerakote is very thin coating and It gonna look crap as my engine cover lol anyway I don't like this shiny finish so I'll respray it with matte. Lessen learned !

IMG_4212 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

Ohhh I almost forgot, I just started designing new Christmas tree lights I hope to finish these by December ;)

IMG_E4120 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4121 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

IMG_E4123 by wooboodoo, on Flickr

I'll be back soon with more progress...
  • Brooklyn
  • BMW K1100RS

Tags: