Author Topic: Replacing instrument cluster connector  (Read 3070 times)

Offline -mek-

• Motobrick Curious
Replacing instrument cluster connector
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm going to replace the lunch box with Acewell meter in my K75 street tracker project. I'm going to use Marulabs BEP 3.0 adaptor, but the problem is, that the dashboard connector won't go trough the frame. Connector is just too large to fit between the frame tubes and steering lock. I got the lid out of the connector, but didn't figure it out, how to remove the wires from the connector. I need the connector for BEP 3.0 so I can't just cut the wires but need to reassemble it again to BEP 3.0 under the fuel tank. Any adwise?

* 20190218_170857_resized.jpg (42.3 kB . 768x432 - viewed 704 times)
  • Finland
  • 2020 BMW R1250GS

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Replacing instrument cluster connector
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
greetings...

a proper street tracker project would be wioring loom off frame restoration as the foundation... then reinstall of loom components as necessary with freshly refurbished loom pieces...

that will solve your problem...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56:35 PM »
You can't disassemble the connector.  Wires are crimped on and can only be removed destructively.  Are you considering locating the BEP on the outside of the bike?  I don't think the BEP is even rated for a minimum of IP56.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline -mek-

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 05:33:56 AM »
I gave it another try and succeeded to squeeze the connector trough frame. It was tight between the steering lock and frame tubes, but it goes when the ECU box is removed at first.

I rearranged the cable harnesses under the gas tank and placed the BEP on right side, covered carefully with rubber (against moisture and securing the connectors). OEM dashboard cable goes over the ECU box to the right side now. I tested all the electrics that can be tested without starting the engine (the tank is still on painshop).
  • Finland
  • 2020 BMW R1250GS

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 06:42:50 AM »
I tested all the electrics that can be tested without starting the engine (the tank is still on painshop).

Wise move testing, and retesting all electric's as the build comes together. Beat's the heck out of "checked good components" right up to pressing the starter ... and then silence..fanculo!

Is the tank getting hammered and rolled in the "painshop?" ;)
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C, '21 ARGO 8x8, '24 KLR650
Texas catheters ROCK!

Tags: