Author Topic: Didn't I see a "Going to Look at K bike" buying guide somewhere?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline flypig

• Motobrick Curious
Maybe I just gleaned things from various posts... I thought I saw a used bike buyers guide list of inspection items? Is there such a resource?

I may go look at a 90 K75 with 15K miles. Unfortunately the current owner had it only briefly and isn't the person who "underutilitzed" the poor thing. So I'm on my own.

Some stuff to check is obvious for any bike, but what are the K75's secret gotcha points?

Obv:
fuel tank interior
brake lines and reservoir
any visible hoses for flex
any visible oil leaks or seal leaks
tire date

I have read that the odometers fail, though mine didn't on the same bike. No way to know besides it's currently moving while test riding?

Here's the temptation.... don't swipe it out from under me, as I just crashed my beloved bike that is this one's doppleganger...
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/d/chicago-1990-bmw-k-miles/7215226029.html

Flying Pig on Flying Brick
  • Madison, Wisconsin
  • 1990 K75, Two matching ones

Offline BrickDad

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Didn't I see a "Going to Look at K bike" buying guide somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 09:18:37 PM »
  • Arlington County, Virginia
  • 1995 K75T + Paralever, 1991 K100RS 4-valver + 1990 Flexit sidecar

Offline K1300S

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »
and there was a thread on this a few months ago
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 11:20:48 PM »
The moto you crashed had a low seat. The moto you're watching has a standard seat that might be a couple of inches further from the pavement. To swap the prospective moto's seat would take having a low bench seat and all the hardware that goes with it, plus the sloping tank/battery cover for looks.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline flypig

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 11:29:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I should have put it together that not only was the Russell Day Long a costly customization, it lowered the seat height. I saw a lower seat on sale here for $300 recently. Wish I could keep that saddle and rubber. We'll see.
  • Madison, Wisconsin
  • 1990 K75, Two matching ones

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 01:16:44 AM »
It's likely the moto in the ad was equipped with an OEM low-style bench seat; the Russell was fabricated to hold the distance to pavement of the original.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 03:15:49 AM »
I have read that the odometers fail, though mine didn't on the same bike. No way to know besides it's currently moving while test riding?
There's a way. Only you, your mother, your CO, your parole officer or another responsible adult can decide if you're competent enough to successfully deploy it without the moto's punching a hole in a house wall, damaging shrubbery or endangering human life.
    • Park the moto in a well-ventilated area.
    • Write down the mileage of both the odometer and the tripmeter.
    • Place a comfortable stool where you can see and hear the moto but not breath its fumes. If there's a Port-O-Potty nearby, that would be perfect.
    • Place the moto on its center stand so its rear tire will not contact the pavement or anything else.
    • Connect a ratchet strap from the front wheel to the center stand then tighten it so the moto cannot be moved off the center stand.
    • Make a sandwich of Mrs. Paul's Fish Sticks, lettuce and tartar sauce on a toasted brioche.
    • Pour a glass of Fever Tree Ginger Beer.
    • Put the glass of ginger beer and a plate with the sandwich on an upside down milk crate next to the stool.
    • Put the transmission in Neutral.
    • Start the engine then allow it to warm until it can idle without the idle speed control.
    • Shut off the engine.
    • Put the engine in second gear.
    • Pull in the clutch hand lever.
    • Start the engine.
    • Slowly release the clutch hand lever until the transmission fully engages the rear drive.
    • Sit on the stool.
    • Eat the sandwich.
    • Wash the sandwich down with ginger beer.
    • Give forth one or more long, sonorous burps.
    • Stand up.
    • Stretch.
    • Release flatulance with exuberance.
    • Shift the transmission into neutral.
    • Release the clutch hand lever.
    • Shut off the engine.
    • Compare the instrument's odometer and tripmeter reading with the numbers you recorded at the start. If the numbers have changed, the odometer might be working but you won't know for certain how well it's working until you ride the moto out and check it using mile markers on an interstate, or use calibrating software.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 09:55:35 AM »
There's a way. Only you, your mother, your CO, your parole officer or another responsible adult can decide if you're competent enough to successfully deploy it without the moto's punching a hole in a house wall, damaging shrubbery or endangering human life.
    • Park the moto in a well-ventilated area.
    • Write down the mileage of both the odometer and the tripmeter.
    • Place a comfortable stool where you can see and hear the moto but not breath its fumes. If there's a Port-O-Potty nearby, that would be perfect.
    • Place the moto on its center stand so its rear tire will not contact the pavement or anything else.
    • Connect a ratchet strap from the front wheel to the center stand then tighten it so the moto cannot be moved off the center stand.
    • Make a sandwich of Mrs. Paul's Fish Sticks, lettuce and tartar sauce on a toasted brioche.
    • Pour a glass of Fever Tree Ginger Beer.
    • Put the glass of ginger beer and a plate with the sandwich on an upside down milk crate next to the stool.
    • Put the transmission in Neutral.
    • Start the engine then allow it to warm until it can idle without the idle speed control.
    • Shut off the engine.
    • Put the engine in second gear.
    • Start the engine.
    • Slowly release the clutch hand lever until the transmission fully engages the rear drive.
    • Sit on the stool.
    • Eat the sandwich.
    • Wash the sandwich down with ginger beer.
    • Give forth one or more long, sonorous burps.
    • Stand up.
    • Stretch.
    • Release flatulance with exuberance.
    • Shift the transmission into neutral.
    • Release the clutch hand lever.
    • Shut off the engine.
    • Compare the instrument's odometer and tripmeter reading with the numbers you recorded at the start. If the numbers have changed, the odometer might be working but you won't know for certain how well it's working until you ride the moto out and check it using mile markers on an interstate, or use calibrating software.

Comprehensive write up! There are some regions that add a Moon Pie between steps 16 to 22, just FYI, as I have also seen Devil Dogs used in Virginia.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C, '21 ARGO 8x8, '24 KLR650
Texas catheters ROCK!

Tags: