Author Topic: Cruising in the pro complexhttp://www.motobrick.com/Smileys/MB_Smiley/falldown.g  (Read 5927 times)

Offline BlossomStein

• Curious
So... bought the 23 year old gal for $2k with 136k miles on her. Had her about a month and had really come to appreciate her. First time in 30 years I had ever been caught in rain... the only thing I wouldn't ever ride in, and she was a champ. I put 3k more miles on her, decided I was falling for her and started cleaning her up, fixing the paint pits. Looking to see what didn't work or had been hidden by one of the previous owners. Our last ride, possibly, was to my doctor's office. In the professional complex, on a two way little lane with no traffic control, Little Missy in the photo decided to turn left, and I mean RIGHT NOW. We go down. My girl gets towed away. The other driver tells me she didn't see me, she had not stop sign so why didn't I (reiterate: NO stop signs anywhere) she wanted to know why I continued through the little intersection when she was approaching with her blinker on.

Only one BMW shop anywhere around. About to call them and see how my girl is doing and if she'll make it. Faring busted up, mirror gone, engine case shaved down some, fuel leak... all of which were in near perfect condition... cross your fingers for me. Maybe I'll be able to post another ride here some day.
  • Reno, NV
  • 1992 K100RS (4v) 139,000 miles
Current teardown/rebuild: Honda 1983 CB900F

Dear departed:
FJ 1100
Seca 650 Turbo
Volusia 800
SR 185

Offline drut

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
That's a bitch,hope it sorts out well for you!
  • Newcastle upon Tyne UK
  • 1990 K100RS + 1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II + 1971 Aermacchi/HD 350ss
Much older but certainly no wiser!

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Are you okay?  That is the most important thing. 

Probably cost too much to repair and parts are a challenge for some.  Will insurance pay you out?  Have to find another bike.
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
greetings blossomstein...

was little missy distracted...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline BlossomStein

• Curious
Just heard: they're writing it off as a total loss. In their twisted little financial world, I am not shocked. Most of the damage seems to have been superficial... fiberglass, a mirror and a light coming off, and the engine cover getting filed down some. I paid $2k for it, they're offering $2100 - $250 deductible, and I'm not going to find a decent bike that will tote my wife and I across the Sierras (which had been the plan... an occasional ride from Reno to 'Frisco) for $1850, minus registration, the obligatory $200 or so from the "Oh, I never knew it had that problem." problem post-purchase... Never thought I'd like a BMW. Don't know that I'll appreciate anything as much as a BMW now.

The good news is that I'm a knuckle-busting gear head who had already started expanding into a little body work on that bike, so I'm guessing I can get her back into shape for a few hundred dollars plus some resin and custom, hidden brackets. I was planning some creative, undercover customizing anyway, so as long as there are no surprise issues I may very well but it as a salvage. The adjuster thinks it might go for $250-$400... we'll see.

:falldown:

- B.
  • Reno, NV

Dear departed:
FJ 1100
Seca 650 Turbo
Volusia 800
SR 185

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
probably similar damage, only mine was caused by an errant deer.  Mostly cosmetic, got it on the road again with a bikini fairing, later found the S bodywork cheap at  Beemerboneyard and did the camo thing.  187K miles now and runs better than ever.  Keep it and fix it!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline BlossomStein

• Curious
Re: ... http://www.motobrick.com/Smileys/MB_Smiley/falldown.gif
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 07:23:42 AM »
Brother, that's the kind of support I need to hear.

For MANY and complex reasons, I've been sitting on my best friend's 83 CB900R for about 14 years. The last ten of them I have been trying to get "permission" to have the time to start a full tear-down and rebuild, as it had been left in the elements, not running, etc. and the last 10 years of it in the Reno winters resulted in... well... I'll have to start by sticking a vacuum hose into the cylinders to remove most of the debris...

When we had to sell our house, I decided to just find a cheap little get-around to save $60/week in gas, which I could put towards rebuilding the Honda. I ended up with the Beemer. The wife already has the key in the ignition of the Buy-Back-A-Broken-Bike!!-Bitch-o-Matic 3000, but my leverage is that she is the one who made the final push for me to buy it in the first place. I've been married nearly 20 years and she has n e v e r been willing to ride on a bike. But this... idk what happened but she wanted to buy her own helmet on our way to purchase the bike! Next weekend we went out riding. Unbelievable. The shop is good with me coming down to check out the bike, start her up, etc. I explained the situation to the boss-man, and he is a good dude, particularly for being the only BMW bike shop in Northern Nevada apparently. He did the maint. on it for the previous owner. A brief rundown of damage, from the shop manager, Scott, and the Geico adjuster includes (right side only) foot pegs, hand brake, rear view mirror/turn signal, some damage to the faring that is mostly scraping instead of snapping. One arm of the faring bracket may be a bit bent according to Scott. None of this concerns me as I as already filling and sanding the side panels on the bike, had the hard cases off of the bike for repairing the repairs somebody else had done and then hidden with black duct tape (which is why my leg ended up under the bike... the bags were at home... fortunately it was one of the rare days I had the Fed's laptops and external drives in a backpack, which certainly must have helped break my fall :musicboohoo: )

I've been pricing parts on ebay, at the boneyard, and at the limited offerings from the k100 site. All in all, and mind you I'm not too proud for fiberglass and resin to do the job instead of my paycheck, it appears that getting her back into the shape she was in when she went down will cost somewhere around $300, not including the valve cover (I'm told it's an "engine cover"). I know she didn't hit too hard as I broke her fall. I can't afford to find out a month from now that some control module somewhere was actually damaged, or some mounting point cracked, etc. She's my daily driver. Too much thinking to do for one day. I guess it will depend upon what it will cost me to buy her from Geico, whether or not there is any meaningful damage, and whether or not I can convince the wife of the logic here.

Thanks for letting me ramble, Folks. I haven't had a bike accident since I was 15, stupider, and was driving in the middle of the night with no headlight. Thirty years later I buy a bike I was skeptical of, get to know her pretty well, and then kerplunck within about a month... unbelievable.

I'll let you know how it turns out if anybody is interested. In the mean time, I'm a professional researcher, so if anybody thinks of anything I should know about, particularly as a nooBee-mer, I will be grateful to hear about it.

Cheers.

-B.

P.S.: I do have a rather trivial tech question that I truly can't think of anybody but you folks to ask. I know this thread is for travels, so I will post the question wherever I think it would likely be most at home. My best man, as well as my sons now, are giving me a bunch of crap over this, so let me see what I can gather online and i'll match notes with any input I get here. Thx again.                                                     
  • Reno, NV

Dear departed:
FJ 1100
Seca 650 Turbo
Volusia 800
SR 185

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
Sorry to hear of your mishap.  At the speed you were traveling I am guessing the damage is similar to what you would get in a fallover in a garage.  The good news is that there are a lot of fairing parts out there as RS and RT models get cafe conversions. 

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get any cosmetic parts.  If you're patient and check eBay every day you will find some very good deals.  For example, I was able to buy all the parts to convert my 92 K100RS fairing to an 1100RS fairing for under $150 last winter.  Heck, I got the belly pan for the $10 opening bid. 

Search using the "newly listed" sort function.  That will give you the date of the original listing.  On "Buy It Now" items that have been around a long time I will contact the seller with a lower offer price.  They don't always accept my offer, but when they do I have gotten some nice deals.  When someone has had a part listed for two years, they may be willing to go pretty low just to get rid of it.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline BlossomStein

• Curious
Great advice, Gryphon. I'd been looking up parts online for cheap, but hadn't considered your approach. Money is a big issue for me, so I'm grateful for the input.

That being said, here's the email I just sent my best man (the guy who used to own the Honda I'm rebuilding:

Yep. Totaled. I'm attaching all the damage that was identified by the adjuster, which I was told equaled over $4k. Little does he know that foot pegs are supposed to fold up, that I had the mirror/lamp taped on because I couldn't get the clips to hold reliably (although the glass is now broken), that I don't really need to worry about scrapes on the "engine cover"...  I think I told you I paid $2k and after deductible will be getting $1600ish. Somebody wants to buy this bike and part it out probably...

So I bought it. The $1600 I'm getting INCLUDES taking out the $100.00 that they were going to sell the salvaged bike for.

Let's review:

I find a bike that is known for never dying locally. The book value on it is $1900, and I agree to pay him $2k, down from his $2500.

The bike runs well and reliably, and the only leak was due to the previous owner changing the oil poorly.

Sadly, I total it. The damage is all superficial though and can be addressed with some resin and a new mirror. I get $1600 for it. Net cost for the bike: $400. Had to trade a clean title, bruised ribs, and a swollen knee for it.

I'm ok with that.
  • Reno, NV

Dear departed:
FJ 1100
Seca 650 Turbo
Volusia 800
SR 185

Tags: