Author Topic: Gonna try some Bar Backs, does everyone love’em?  (Read 691 times)

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Still learning about Bricks from this site!
Gonna try some Bar Backs, does everyone love’em?
« on: June 06, 2022, 08:15:45 PM »
These look like a good idea, and I’ve had them in a box for years. The 1 3/4” rise and 1 1/4” back should help with my back fatigue. I haven’t seen anything against them, so hope the general thinking on this mod is positive.    😎
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Gonna try some Bar Backs, does everyone love’em?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 08:57:57 PM »
I don't like them. They're fine if your just tooling around on the bike but they make it harder to get your upper body leaned forward (where it's supposed to be) in the turns.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 10:13:02 PM »
I love mine.  Took them off for a while and too much lean for my old bod.  Put them back on and never looked back.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 10:35:05 AM »
After one year of riding my Brick then reading this essay by Duane Ausherman, I removed the moto's windshield and replaced its RT touring handlebar with a C-style bar followed by a Flanders sidecar bar which is slightly lower, has slightly less pull-back and is a few inches wider than an S-style bar. I sold the Corbin seat and now ride an OEM Brick bench seat filled with this padding—discomfort-free riding for as many hours as I care to ride. I carry rain gear in my tankbag for rinse cycle.  :laughing4-giggles: I have used this setup for seven years during both local and also long-distance riding approximately 7K miles a year. I like it.

Before.

After.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 12:08:38 PM »
I have owned a K75S and now ride a K100RS.  Neither bike had bar backs even though I have lower back and neck damage from accidents.  I find the K bike riding position fairly comfortable for up to 4-5 hour rides. 

If you are experiencing back pain when riding, you may be better served by using some sort of back support.  In the old days that was a "kidney" belt, but nowadays you can go to the drugstore and get a back brace that does pretty much the same thing.  My riding pants have built in back support that keeps me comfortable even for Iron Butt rides.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline KCinSB

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 12:57:49 PM »
Wow. TON of info provided in the links. Sorting thru my confusion.
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 04:54:23 PM »
I've never used them on my bricks as I find the K75S riding position almost perfect for me.  5'11" with a long wingspan.

My '91 R100RT had them when I bought it which was unknown to me until it was pointed out at an Airhead tech day.  I did remove them (required new bolts) and have been riding without since with good results.
So the answer is "it all depends", that is your preferred or comfortable riding position, how you ride and the seat you have.  There are lots of variables.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline KCinSB

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 06:56:11 PM »
Decided to put it back together as it was. They can stay in the box I guess.
   :threadjacked : so with the bars off at the moment, I have access to the stem “nut” and I want to check the fork for bearing adjustment. Hopefully find something in the Tech files…….     :thisplacewhack
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD

Tags: