Author Topic: Hey from Florida and Oregon  (Read 183 times)

Offline Closed_Casket

• Curious
Hey from Florida and Oregon
« on: November 17, 2021, 06:05:29 PM »
Howdy gang, cheers for having me be part of the fold.  I'm a lifer, have owned close to 50 BMW bikes, a few BMW cages, and currently reside in Nokomis Florida (Gulf coast, south of Tampa and Sarasota) and just bought a house on the central Oregon coast in a little berg called Yachats that is on the Pacific Coast Highway.  Yes, motorcycle heaven.  I'm retired though not by choice.  By age. 

My garage constantly has a revolving door as I've a ravenous appetite for bikes.  My current stable here in Florida is a 1985 K100RS with a lucious color matched Hannigan Sprint sidecar, setup by Hannigan in KY (not the jelly).  It runs tops, I just bought it a few months ago, it has just 19K miles, and I am working out a few niggling kinks (will have some questions for y'all once I get off the ground here). 

I also have a 2004 BMW R1150RS that I recently picked up in Our Kansas (AR), with just 13.5K miles on it - I flew there and rode it 1100 miles in two days to get aquainted.  Fabulous bike.

Then I have a 2014 BMW R1200GS LC loaded with all the goodies.  I'll tow this 3250 miles behind my Kia SUV to Oregon in a few weeks when I can extract myself from Florida, most likely post holidays.  Though the road is calling me now.  The GS will stay in Oregon, where it will be in its element.  I intend to retrace many routes I've taken all over the great West when I lived there over 30 years, and discover many new ones, on this bike.  My daughter lives in BC Canada and there's all kinds of adventures waiting for me there.  I've never ridden to AK, for one.  I'll pack some McCallan and make believe I'm one of my heros, Neil Peart. 

Once I get to Oregon, I'm picking up a sweet 1986 Honda VFR700 Interceptor that I am buying privately from someone mid-state whom I've paid most of the funds for, and for which he is holding for me until I meander my way there, and then sometime taking delivery of a Sondors Metacycle, if they ever decide to ship.  It's paid for.  Google it, it looks fun. 

I'll welcome just about any of you to my place on the PCH in Oregon once I get to know ya a bit.  Have a big enough garage for another couple bikes if I leave the SUV outside in the elements. 
  • Sarasota, FL for now
  • 1985 K100RS with Hannigan Hack

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Hey from Florida and Oregon
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 06:43:38 PM »
Welcome!  I was supposed to do my bucket list Alaska trip in 2020, but some stuff came up.  Maybe next year.  Hope you can do yours.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 08:30:05 PM »
Have you learned how to pronounce Yachats yet? How'd you end up there?

I ride the coast often. Maybe I'll stop by.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline caveman

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 05:36:47 AM »
Welcome,
Wife and I stayed a night in that town last year, the Dublin House if I remember right. Had a nice ride up in the surrounding hills that the owner of the hotel (Eian) suggested.
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 11:18:12 PM »
Hi, you will find many questions answered here (most, not by me!) and a lot of questions I did not even know about.
Trip north sounds good: i've been looking at the Dawson City - Inuvik - Tuktoyuktuk trip. Not optimal for a K bike unfortunately, but possibly my F650 unless I unleash my bank account at a R1250 GS that I stumble upon.

Anyway, welcome Closed_Casket. Perfect monniker.
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 11:29:17 PM »
One thing great about Yachats is that you can go down to the beach at high tide and fresh live Dungeness crabs get washed up on the beach by the tide. You can just pluck them right out of the surf.

Don't speed there though.  The popo there like to radar often at the south entrance to town.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Tags: k100rs hannigan