Author Topic: DIY Sidecar  (Read 8503 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
DIY Sidecar
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:05 PM »
Gents:

The other day I swapped Keith some K75 bits for a DMG sidecar mount kit for K75.  Today I've been reading up about the various customizations possible and the pitfalls.  This is pretty fascinating to me as my wife had to give up her cycle last year and our family dog loves to go for rides...Never on the cycle, but my instincts say he will go for it.  A pal in nearby Madison WI has a Ural, KMEV who sold me my K has a sidecar. I plan to take the pooch for a spin. The dude with the Ural is hardcore for winter riding, pretty cool. ( I posted a vid here of him last year...

Another fun item is that I am enrolled in a welding certificate program at the local community college. So the idea of a DIY frame isn't particularly intimidating. 

Then there is this YouTube documentary about dogs and sidecars.  I must admit, this hit me like a stack of bricks.  Pnut, my son's service dog is an amazing companion when not working so any excuse I have to bring him along, I do. 

The set up details are fairly well documented online.  The customization with a leading link front suspension and the use of auto tires is something I need help understanding. 

It will be interesting to see in this can be mounted to my S, I expect from the images of the DMC kit that the case fairing must be removed? Two bolts, no big deal.   

I wonder if there are actual plans out there for one of these rigs? 

I saw one custom rig that utilized a monolever from a K for the sidecar suspension with a curved tub arching around to meet the top of the shock...very clever in deed.

Ok back to work.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Not sure about the car body yet...rolling dog house? ..I like the Kenna model at the DMG site.
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Rcgreaves

Re: DIY Sidecar
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 07:42:29 PM »
 Kudos to Keith for a top drawer packing job on this DMG mount kit.  I have everything less the rear shock , and brake caliper for the sidecar suspension so welding up the frame should prove less challenging than the bits in hand.  Time to scrounge tubing.  I'm thinking a roll bar and cage are in order. 
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »
Hey --

I've had a DMC K75 mount since 2006 for my 1976 California Sidecar Friendship I sidecar. Jay installed it for me on site at his shop in Enumclaw back then, so if you have any questions about that I can probably answer them.

I see people with their dogs in sidecars and personally I think some of them are nuts for putting their animals in a position where they are so vulnerable. I mean, sidecar passengers are by nature just as vulnerable as their riders at the bars, but IMO the dog should at least have some protection. I looked for a year before finally finding the Friendship 1 in some dude's back yard. The Friendship I has a hatch, and both my sidecar dogs have been trained not to get in or out unless I personally open the hatch for them. Otherwise, you have to have to have some voice command that keeps them in there (and a very well-trained dog) or restrain them physically, which is potentially very bad since they are harnessed in and can't get away from danger if need be. I think the animal should be free to follow its instincts in a critical situation, but not have its center of gravity sticking out above the rim of the tub like I've seen some of these people so, where the dog is just sitting on the stock seat waiting for some reason to jump out or some minor impact to send them flying into traffic.

I pulled out the stock seat of the Friendship I the very first day so the dog would sit as deep as possible in the tub. In the meantime, I built a custom seat specifically for the canine physiology since it's so different from the human one and my current dog has some hip dysplasia issues and needs extra padding.

Anyway, good luck with that project and let me know if there's anything can do to help out...

MH

1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:29:31 AM »
BTW that Sit Stand Ride video is old news for me, just so much hipster blah blah blah. I made this video long before there were GoPros and had to do some serious creative engineering to get the three cameras mounted and keep them running all day with 2008 technology. There's a story to this whole thing that makes even strong men weep but I prefer to keep it to myself.

1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
There's a story to this whole thing that makes even strong men weep but I prefer to keep it to myself.
Well done!  :clap:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 03:12:57 PM »
Motohobo,

Pnut barked at the display as we watched

"the ladies would love me" he said....

Thanks.  The Friendship 2 looks to be well suited for us.  Saving our pennies.

Offline billday

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »
Who's a good dog?
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
I forget the context of this image I believe it came up in my Facebook newsfeed, methinks the caption referenced Minneapolis.  it does look like a familiar stretch of road in that area.

Anyway, Im digging the idea my K could come out to play despite the snow cover.

DIY planning:

The image below of the Swing rig is the look Im shooting for, though my rig with be rigid.  But, Roll bar, yes, Snowflake wheel etc..

Today I am drawing dimensions and designing the mount points for the K monolever suspension link.  Guess I shouldn't have been so fast to sell my extra Brembos and rear shock! 

Offline Rcgreaves

Re: DIY Sidecar - Chassis Fabrication
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 10:31:16 PM »
So what started as a napkin drawing is now tacked and awaiting several hours of TIG welding.  Thats my son TIG welding in the images...

Thanks to Motohobo I approached Jay at DMG and started a profitable correspondence over several weeks. 

At 55 I enrolled in a year-long community college certificate welding program.  I'm the proverbial kid in the candy store.  After reading the fine print I set up and operated a plasma cutter for the first time to cut down the seat base from a Toyota bucket seat.  What an incredibly cool tool. See the base attachment section severed like so much paper with a razor blade. So cool.

Next week I will be creating a custom mount to adapt my K75S final drive complete with Brembo and OEM wheel. I'll tap the mounting to match the mount in the tranny casting of a K75

The seat base is from the waaaay back bucket in my Toyota Sienna that pretty much takes up shelf space in my garage.  The wider design allows room for momma and Pnut with two place seat belt harness in the base enabling me to create a custom pooch shoulder harness.  24 wide, headrest and integrated seat belt anchor.

I've studied literally dozens of designs and worry about having my passenger's feet out front inside a fiberglass shell like so many early sports prototype race cars where the driver's feet were very vulnerable.  The 917 comes to mind...So next will be a roll bar, anti-submarine bar and forward cage along the lines of a formula V or formula Ford sports race car chassis.  Heavy yes...but she's my bride after all...Cheers.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
The yellow book:

So for the benefit of newbs like me-  There’s a somewhat pricey title called”. Driving a Sidecar Rig by David Hough and available via the publisher Printwerk Graphics and Design at 847-772-0320. .

BTW
DMG sidecar in WA offers it on their website for what seems a sizeable discount off MSRP
Richard Skip Green a Winona MN machinist friend loaned me his copy.  If ever in Win. MINN his Apparatus MC shop is worth a visit...

https://www.dmcsidecars.com/yellow-book/

Whilst the majority of the content addresses new rider orientation etc there’s a gem of a chapter at the end on setting up a hack.

For my part, eyeballing can only take me for part of the trip to finalizing the design of my rig and this book spells it all out.
Overall a rig should not weigh more than 30% of the tug. So for my K75 that’s about 150 to 200#....I’m going to end up heavy......

Car tire alignment- a skosh of toe in

Lean-  tug should lean away from the rig +/- 3/4”off vertical

Rig wheel position is a longitudinal compromise between tire skid in turns and fighting the rigs tendency to high side you right and over the handle bars in heavy braking, so the author wisely proposes a compromise position 10 to20% forward of square with the rear wheel of the tug.  On my &75 that’s roughly a foot forward.
My rig will have an OEM Brembo and 75S rotor and big time overkill braking capability so the author says 30% less braking authority on the sidecar wheel over all is sufficient....a proportioning valve in-line will allow me to dial this in just so when road testing with a monkey.

Leading Link- this is a big challenge area:   Moving the front tire’s contact patch forward is key to overcoming the heavy steering action inherent in unmodified rigs- the cycles rake angle fights your steering inputs when un modified...The explanation in the book is worth the purchase price.  Enough to say that DMG makes a custom leading link front end for my K for $2800, if you look at all the factory R bikes they use this method.  Some rigs like Ural. us a steering damper. I get missed votes for this on my K...Someone suggested a type 1 VW unit works well to reduce a rigs tendency to wobble....my nemesis btw.. 

I could fabricate a custom Triple Tree that rotates the fork tubes forward, buy or build a leading link set up. Like is stated...This is an unre$olved challenge.  Initially my rig will be a hand full until until can tackle this issue.  PM me if you want specifics from the book.

Double wishbone frames are the easiest to mount to a sidecar.   Again, the DMG brand K mount I own is  an awesome bit of powder coated workmanship.  Without it I wouldn’t be in this mess...Keith you scum!!!

Wrist clamp receivers on the lower mount points (see pics) enable a very articulate and flexible connection to the cars lower mounts.  Brilliant stuff to behold when you’ve been racking your brain is search of just such an answer.  Thanks to Josh a DMG for his tutelage, great guy!  That, when clamped are very solid.  love these “wrist fixtures!! DMG uses two designs with either a 45 degree or 70 degree “wrist twist”- my term.  My bike axles sit 12 and 13 inches off the ground.  These connectors can rotate to match this stance. 

The diagonal braces in my rig use a combination of a HEIM connector and a clevis at the top connection.  Interestingly, the threads of these adjustable length turnbuckles if you will,  are the authors suggested weak point it the rigs fixtures.  He also sites welds to lower mounts as frequent points of structural failure in DIY rigs.

So what’s next?  I need to do a pile of TIG welding on the chassis. I am drawing a roll cage that will start with a roll bar positioned around my son’s 6 foot frame sitting in the car’s seat.  Then two L tubes to an anti submarine bar forward of the rider. 

Currently I am staging to machine a swing arm mount to match the K75S swing arm, so some bends on a press break, some welding some tapping and finally painting.

Cheers! 
Snow on April 11 is just so sick and wrong.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
So I acquired a K1100RS some of the very best hacks I’ve seen use this cycle.  I love the look of this one with a link front suspension and auto tire.  First to restore the bike then I’ll have to decide between this and my k75s. I kibbutz about having to cut into the fairing.. decisions decisions.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 07:56:33 AM »
My last post here was 2019. Stalled action to say the least.

So my bride of 32 years spots a Harley+trailer is the local Walmart.  In a totally uncharacteristic fashion, she approaches the owner and starts up a conversation. She comes home with the dude's number....but for me!

"call this guy" she says you will like him.  And BTW...He has a sidecar for sale and, wait for it..."I think you should buy it".

So after picking myself off the floor I rang Duane and made an appointment to view his "barn find" Motorvation Formula II.  I think she has grown tired of passing the half-complete scratch build in the workshop.  That's her in the pic saying some smart a$$ comment about "so where is it"...wrong side dear!!! just kidding dear...

It's rough and the body was "carved" to create a hinged door.  I like the results, only I wish he would have installed a finer blade on his saws-all, lots of fiberglass strings hanging out. Fine fellow, but that's how it's done "on the farm"

Are there accessories out there?

Motorvation is closed down correct? 

It has a four-bolt hub and no brakes....cause for pause. Can I go 5 bolt?

Curious if someone can offer specifics on the mount to a GL1200 Aspencade.  Is there a specific mount kit? Will my pictured bits work?

I have yet to acquire the rig.  Thanks for your insights.

Yes I have the yellow book.

50 year rider/wrench. 

Yes I will seek out instruction....Where?

I just can't bring myself to mate my beautiful K75S to a rig.  I'll use my GL1200 Aspencade.  I have a new DMG mount kit for sale for a K75 if you are interested.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 01:13:23 PM »
Just posted for sale

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 02:13:11 PM »
Motorvation is closed down correct? 
It has a four-bolt hub and no brakes....cause for pause. Can I go 5 bolt?
Curious if someone can offer specifics on the mount to a GL1200 Aspencade.  Is there a specific mount kit? Will my pictured bits work?
Congratulations on your new love interest, Rc! Freedom Sidecars seems to reference the allegedly defunct Motorvation on their site, where I found this hopeful FAQ.
Q: Should I have brakes on my sidecar
A: Some folks prefer a brake on a sidecar and many do not. It is a personal choice but we do advise to
learn to drive a rig without a brake and then make the decision to install one or not after more
experience is gained.

Anyway, maybe this guy could be consulted.  :laughing4-giggles:
Good luck with this affair.  icon_cheers
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »
Today I SOLD my DIY project to The Indiana gentleman with the MBD Multiple Bike Disorder. His terminology.  Anyway, I am investing the proceeds in the above shown Motorvation Formula 2.  Winter resto project. Hopefully I will progess on this faster.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 09:54:51 PM »
When collecting my latest resto project MBD patient Mr. TenBrook I "rode the chair"on my trailer ride home behind his truck. this will be fun.  Tug will be 85 Aspencade delivered for winter service today.

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 03:41:25 AM »
When collecting my latest resto project MBD patient Mr. TenBrook I "rode the chair"on my trailer ride home behind his truck. this will be fun.  Tug will be 85 Aspencade delivered for winter service today.

Where are your "NO Malarkey" Ray Ban Aviators and flight line Vest?
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline mr_10brook

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 07:44:59 AM »
Where's the video!!!!

bmp
97 K1100LT  93 K75S x 2
95 K1100RS and 92 K100RS in same week both broken! WTF
91 K1 Black

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 10:59:40 PM »
Not my best video effort...but the MBD patient asked.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L6rsXfLQUogfgi2Y9

see ya "side car suckaaaahhh"

Tags: