Author Topic: A Brick Newbie! 1990 K100RS ABS-German Specs.  (Read 2266 times)

Offline PaoloNH

• Curious
A Brick Newbie! 1990 K100RS ABS-German Specs.
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:18:28 AM »
Hello all!

Finally after admiring these bikes for over 25 years, I finally got one.  So gentlemen and ladies, I have questions and hopefully some of you can help me out.  My recent purchase is a 1990 K100RS - German specifications (serial # 6407087 - Build date: 2/1990)  The bike was brought to the US in the early '90's by its German owner.  Nine years later, it made its way to West Virginia with 2600 miles on the odometre.  In 2001 it came to New Hampshire with a little over 10K and sold to me last month with 27K on her.  Beautiful bike!  Repainted by John Borella in Connecticut (Colour Code 661 - Pearl Silver).  Gorgeous condition.  My bike is featured in a YouTube video ("BMW Service-K100RS 16V German and US Model") showing the minor differences between the US and German versions.

So, from what I can gather, the 1990 K100RS 16V was not sold in the US.  The 1991's and '92's were that model in the US, though the 1990 model was sold in Europe and Canada (I recently found a 1990 being sold in Quebec, Canada #6407041 - why Canada and not the US??) Is this true?  What also makes this bike unique is that it's retrofitted with a K1100RS fairing.  I can not find any information on this retro fit kit other than what Chris Harris presents in the above mentioned video.  Does anyone else have this retro fit? 

My intent is to bring the bike back to its 1990 German Specifications so I have questions relating to that.  The rear cowl has no badging, though I've seen bikes of this year sold in the Netherlands have a K100 badge on the left, but UK and Canadian versions have RS badging on the right.  Does anyone know if the German version was naked?

I'm assuming the bike originally was calibrated in kilometres, though this bike is calibrated in miles.  Can anyone tell me if it's US law to have motorcycles calibrated to miles if imported to the States?  The face plate for the speedo does not match the face place for the tach.  The lower portion of the tach has a series of horizontal lines surrounding the idiot lights and gear indicator, yet the speedo has no series of lines and looks like the face plate of K series bikes from the mid-late '80's.  Again, minor detail, but I want the bike to be what it was in Germany in 1990 (yes, I suffer from OCD!)

I'll probably have more questions in the future.  Thank you for slugging through this message and thank you in advance if anyone has answers to the questions I have.
  • Warner New Hampshire USA
  • 1990 K100RS ABS - German Specifications

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: A Brick Newbie! 1990 K100RS ABS-German Specs.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:23:13 AM »
greetings paolonh...

welcome to motobrick.com...

how abouts posting up some photos of your motobrick...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: