Author Topic: Sequential Indicators easy conversion. Not so easy but solved  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Sequential Indicators easy conversion. Not so easy but solved
« on: October 13, 2020, 11:24:35 PM »
I've got a couple of spare rear indicators so I thought I'd convert a set to sequential indicators. After a bit of looking and measuring I bought a set of four for $30.00 Au.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001078052317.html? They seem to have quite a few different sets so I found one set that listed it suitable for a K75.

It turned out the only modification required was to the globe holders which required the removal of the globe contacts. These can be refitted at anytime if you go back to OEM. The sequential indicators are a tight fit but can be pushed into the socket with by either greasing or by reducing the diameter of the rubber mount. They fit pretty tight but for added security I applied a bit of hot glue. The wires that go into the OEM wiring require the fitting of spade connectors, these wires were also reduced in length. You could also gain more room in the housing by shortening the wires between the resistor and the indicators. I also wrapped a bit of tape around the connections to the OEM wiring. They will however fit without shortening with a bit of wrangling.

The whole job took around 1.5 hours but could be done a lot faster. I also looked at converting the front K75s indicators and while it could be done, slicing and dicing would be required. With the scarcity of K75s indicator in OZ i was reluctant to carve up mine/
Regards Martin.

* Sequential Indicators 1.webp.png (62.14 kB . 768x576 - viewed 542 times)
* Sequential Indicators 2.webp.png (51.17 kB . 768x576 - viewed 485 times)
* Sequential Indicators 3.webp.png (52.96 kB . 768x576 - viewed 475 times)
* Sequential Indicators 4.webp.png (54.15 kB . 768x576 - viewed 476 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
Re: Sequential Indicators easy conversion.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 07:32:49 AM »
Is there a negative effect on bulb monitoring, or did you perform the bulb monitor trace excision?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:21:17 AM »
I ordered this kit from Jaycar. Each side blinks sequentially.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
OOO early Christmas. As far as I know which is not a lot, the indicators don't run through the bulb monitor. I just went and checked and the little red light goes out when the front and rear brakes are applied. When I ordered the indicators they could be had for different motorcycles and they could be had with or without the resistors. I went for the resistors assuming rightly or wrongly that they would equate to the current resistance of the standard bulbs. The front indicators are standard bulbs and they all play together nicely, no slow flashing and no hyper flashing.
Regards Martin.

* Sequential Indicators Resistor.webp.png (41.11 kB . 768x576 - viewed 472 times)

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 06:48:38 PM »
As far as I know which is not a lot, the indicators don't run through the bulb monitor.
You're correct; it's the flasher relay that causes hyperflashing of LEDs introduced into the system. Maybe it isn't as obvious with sequential indicators.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 07:32:20 PM »
Laitch I believe that the incorporation of the resistor stops the hyper flashing. Replacing a standard bulb with a LED bulb with less resistance is what causes hyper flashing. If you added a resistor to the circuit to make up the equivalent resistance you should be OK. That way you wouldn't have to modify the indicator relay. RBM might confirm or disprove this.
Regards Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »
Your belief is correct, too. The trace cut of the flasher relay just simplified the process for many folks and the relay could be restored easily.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

Re: Sequential Indicators easy conversion. Not so easy but solved
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 06:08:51 PM »
The Mk 1 versions weren't really bright enough in full sun. In the Mk 2 version I fitted two sequential indicators into the OEM housing, and as expected still not bright enough. Onto the Mk 3 version, I had a friend mill out two slots in the OEM lenses. After a little bit of fettling with a Dremel and files I achieved a good fit. I used clear silicone where the indicators fit into the slots and used a hot glue gun to glue the lower one to the bottom of the lens then glued the upper to the lower one with additional gluing at the entry point. A portion of the bulb holder surround had to be removed in order to allow access. As an added precaution I packed the area around the indicators and the back of the housing with heat proof foam.

Initially I had the heat sinks inside the rear indicator housing, however I spent yesterday and this morning moving the heat sinks to a more suitable position on the rear frame rails under the start of the ducktail.  The heat sinks do heat up quite a bit and I didn't want to melt anything. The Mk 3 versions are quite visible in full sun and a couple of guys wanted Mk 3 versions, however only one extra set was made. Apparently it was a nerve racking job and a problem with the CNC machine compounded the stress. I would like to thank Peter from the Trades Guild for undertaking this job twice. He won't be doing any more, he's off to his psychiatrist.
Regards Martin.

Tags: