Author Topic: R1150R...NOT A K BIKE!  (Read 526 times)

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
R1150R...NOT A K BIKE!
« on: September 20, 2023, 09:45:49 PM »
Ok Gentlemen, I have the opportunity to purchase an 04 R1150R with 34k on the clock. $1200...The bike stalls when dropped into 1st. I'm thinking its not the cable because it "easily" goes back into neutral and there is tension on cable..besides the owner would have adjusted the cable...I've done clutches on these things..lotta work but doable...Trannys run about $400 with decent output splines. The bike rolls in neutral so I'm not thinking the shaft locked up. If its stalling, the spline should be grabbing? Thanks.
  • Naples Fl
  • 1994 k75, 2001 Harley Dyna, 2006 Vespa LX150!

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: R1150R...NOT A K BIKE!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 12:13:06 AM »
The bike stalls when dropped into 1st.. . . its not the cable because it "easily" goes back into neutral and there is tension on cable..besides the owner would have adjusted the cable...
Doesn't the R1150 have a hydraulically-operated clutch system with a master cylinder at the clutch hand lever connected by a hydraulic line to a slave cylinder? If that is accurate then it wouldn't have a "cable" even though BMW might call it a "cable" in Germglish. If all that is accurate, then the clutch hydraulic system may need to be bled to engage the clutch disc sufficiently. Anyway you would know all about that because you've worked on these clutches.

Maybe the problem could be a bent shifting fork. Another reason might be the side stand safety switch is defective. During starting, the neutral switch is over-riding the defective side stand safety switch when the side stand is up but when you let out the clutch the engine stalls because the side stand safety switch is still engaged in interrupting engine function. :idunno:

In any case, I'd be reluctant to rely on a previous owner to have done any maintenance or adjustment correctly, and would review all adjustments.

Beyond that, the R1150 series has possible transmission input shaft spline wear problems outlined in the attached video which is so enjoyable to just hear, I don't care whether it's accurate but it says enough for me to avoid one of those motos, even if I could afford to own one, even if I wanted one, regardless of whether six speed or five.  :laughing4-giggles:

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 08:33:09 AM »
Ahhh the K bike afectionatos..If I can remember correctly my R1100rs had a cable... That being said, I will be pulling the transmission regardless to lube the splines. While Im there...change the friction plate ( upgraded to deeper spline housing )...BTW..Im guessing the owner would have known the side stand switch could be defective or at least thought of it...the first thing Ill check thank you!... Didn't think of fork..again thanks.
  • Naples Fl

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 10:23:12 AM »
. . .If I can remember correctly my R1100rs had a cable..Im guessing the owner would have known the side stand switch could be defective or at least thought of it.
You remember correctly but the R1150R is a newer and different animal; besides that, it's challenging to remember what has never been owned. I'm only going by the diagrams in the MaxBMW parts fiche showing banjo bolt hose connections leading to the clutch slave cylinder.

Defective side stand switches have confounded several owners who have posted here and elsewhere with starting trouble. Some secondhand buyers didn't even know about them.  :laughing4-giggles:

Good luck with your new ride. 112350   Be sure to display your handiwork with it at the R1150 aficionado site where there will likely be full appreciation for it.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline jbt

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 02:28:39 PM »
It's a common fault on these models that the clutch hydraulic receiver leaks. And, by the way, leaks fluid on the clutch...I recommend changing the whole clutch by Sachs mechanism with a ERB oil resistant disc, because the 2 gaskets behind the flywheel will also leak.

If it has an ABS fitted, you'll get in expensive trouble, whatever you service the bike. This device is pure crap and that's why I sold my R1150RT last week.

The R1150R is a beautiful bike, and the assisted braking is terrific. But it's the more boring bike I ever had (and I had about 200...)!
It's fast, handles very well, roadholding is excellent, comfortable needs good aftermarket suspension...but boring. I felt as excited as travelling by train from point A to point B.
  • France
  • K100, K1100LT, K1, K100RS, K75GS, K100+Sidecar, K1+sidecar

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 02:55:27 PM »
The bike does not have ABS, thankfully…Ok so the question begs is  the Sachs  available with the full contact /extended spline mount. I would have to make the choice between oil resistant clutch or spline shear. I like the 1150 , It would be to kick around the hood. I’ve ad a few 1100RS models.
  • Naples Fl