Author Topic: Hello from Northern California (K75S bringing back from dead)  (Read 295 times)

Offline xyxy

• Motobrick Curious
Hello from Northern California (K75S bringing back from dead)
« on: February 04, 2024, 01:55:35 AM »
Hello everyone, long time was reading this forum, a lot of useful stuff and finally got to write an introduction.
I recently got K75S 1988 bike that was sitting for 6 years and seller doesn't know it's history, no keys, no battery, no documents (bike was abandoned by it's owner and sold by the property owner). So I got it pretty cheap.
I wasn't affraid much as just wanted to tinker and throw away in case if it's done.

I was able to turn it on recently, after replacing alternator that was shorted to ground and did a regular maintenance (oil, spark plugs, lubed final drive spline, put a new tires, etc).
Again this forum was really helpful with maintenance and finding issues.

There are still some things to do, I haven't decided whether to restore it as is or make it custom.
  • North California
  • '88 K 75 S (0563,0572)
'21 R NineT Scrambler

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Hello from Northern California (K75S bringing back from dead)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 08:35:33 AM »
Welcome!  I hope you don't go the cafe route with this bike.  The K75S is the best looking of the classic K bikes and lately there has been way too may being hacked up.  Yours looks to be in fairly decent shape cosmetically and red is the fastest color.

As far as helping with your problems, you should start a new thread to document what you have for future reference.  Intro threads isn't the place to do troubleshooting.  I have some ideas on your problems but will only respond to a separate thread.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline xyxy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 02:25:13 PM »
Thank you The Mighty Gryphon!
I did started new thread here https://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=15479.0

It definitely wouldn't be a cafe racer as I want it to be actually rideable and comfortable, I'm getting old :laughing1:
But I'm torn between keeping all the fairing which has cracks and keeping it's classing look and making some naked version with modern components.

Cheers!
  • North California
  • '88 K 75 S (0563,0572)
'21 R NineT Scrambler

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 02:15:11 PM »
The body work on these bikes is surprisingly easy to repair if you have a little bit of experience with fiberglass and fillers.  Someplace here there is a thread where I go through repairing a fairing panel with fiberglass. 

The hard part is finding the formulas for the BASF Glasurit paint that was used at the factory.  Fortunately, more auto paint sellers have computer color analyzers that can pretty accurately match the original finish, right down to any fading that may have occurred over the years.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: