Author Topic: Touring the Western US and possible repair facilities  (Read 2057 times)

Offline pinhead

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Touring the Western US and possible repair facilities
« on: March 24, 2022, 05:36:22 PM »
I have a 1985 BMW KRT100 and it has about 85000 miles on it.  I was wondering if anybody composed a list and locations for good service/repair of these old bikes in the event of a break down when touring.  Rather than having to panic and chose the first one you can.....  Not that I doubt the reliability of the flying brick, I just wanted to have something like that in the case of a bad event. 
  • sacramento, ca
  • 1985 RT 100

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Touring the Western US and possible repair facilities
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »
greetings...

getts your aaa rv premier paid up and donts give it another thought...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 06:57:05 PM »
+1 on AAA RV Plus.

Keep your bike maintained and serviced and don't worry about finding someplace to get it repaired.  I used to race in my misspent youth and it taught me the value of diligent maintenance and preparation.  Maintain your ride and use it regularly and you will have no problems.  Make sure all your electrical connections and the fuel system are clean.  With your '85 K100 I would suggest replacing your ignition coils with later models for more reliability.

I carry the factory tool kit along with a set of Harbor Freight ball end Allen wrenches, a 4in1 screwdriver, and a set of 1/4" drive sockets.  A tire kit and a 12v compressor will handle tire problems.  I have a tablet with the factory repair manual on it.

I carry a few spares: a clutch cable, HES plate, some fuses and a couple relays.  My K75RT horizon chaser has 100,000 miles now, and I think nothing of doing 7-8,000 miles on a trip.  So far, I have only had to replace a couple worn out tires and add some oil to the engine.  When I am all alone out in the middle of nowhere after dark my only concern is whether or not I have enough fuel to make the next gas station.

Last, being from California, as long as you don't break down in Oregon or Washington, U-Haul will probably pay you take one of their trucks back to Cali with your bike on it. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 09:01:15 PM »
Not sure  how up to date it is but IBMWR has a list of BMW and indy shops:
https://ibmwr.org/index.php/bmw-dealers/

I know a lot of K owners who wrench in the western states. I can give you my phone number in case you break down.

I have roadside assistance and trip interruption coverage with my Progressive Insurance policy.

I had a flat in Nowhere, MT and it worked out great.

At 85k your K bike should still be very reliable. I wouldn't worry too much about a breakdown if I were you.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline koapono

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »
assuming you keep your bike in tip-top condition just ride it!

I have nearly 400,000 on 2 different K's (over a span of many years).
Neither have let me down, ever!

plenty of good advice above regarding what to carry along, tools as mentioned, tire repair kit and mini-compressor.
I installed a "spare" set of cables (clutch/throttle) ran them alongside existing cables. Do this and you will never need a cable again. It's the law of supply inventory: "if you have it on-hand, you'll never need it".

The K's are solid performers and meant for the long haul!
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline pinhead

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 05:39:34 PM »
Not sure  how up to date it is but IBMWR has a list of BMW and indy shops:
https://ibmwr.org/index.php/bmw-dealers/

I know a lot of K owners who wrench in the western states. I can give you my phone number in case you break down.

I have roadside assistance and trip interruption coverage with my Progressive Insurance policy.

I had a flat in Nowhere, MT and it worked out great.

At 85k your K bike should still be very reliable. I wouldn't worry too much about a breakdown if I were you.

Yes, PM me a message with that info and I would appreciate it!  I will be traveling by myself and it would be nice to have that.  thanks!
  • sacramento, ca
  • 1985 RT 100

Offline TaosBrick

• RedHotMotoBricker
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 08:19:36 AM »
Hadn’t been on forum in awhile, just saw this. Hope by now you’re making your happy, trouble-free way across the US of A by now.
I have an independent shop near Taos NM. mesaclassicmoto.com
Flog It Every Day - I mean, the BIKE!
'92 K75, '73 R75/5 Café,'89 Yam XT350
Expect Nothing, Be Ready For Anything.
- Samurai Maxim

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 01:29:50 PM »
Hadn’t been on forum in awhile, just saw this. Hope by now you’re making your happy, trouble-free way across the US of A by now.
I have an independent shop near Taos NM. mesaclassicmoto.com

If your bike isn't broken when you reach New Mexico then it will be once you traverse the miles of rutted out washboard between pavement and his place.

DISCLAIMER: Charlie and I are friends and I'm just poking fun here. If you ever need help in NM he's a great resource.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline TaosBrick

• RedHotMotoBricker
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 08:41:15 AM »
True, you gotta git yer GS mojo on for the last mile n’ change to my place…
My K75 makes a good little GS pony tho.
Flog It Every Day - I mean, the BIKE!
'92 K75, '73 R75/5 Café,'89 Yam XT350
Expect Nothing, Be Ready For Anything.
- Samurai Maxim

Tags: