Author Topic: Are They Blowin' Smoke Up My ***.....  (Read 4489 times)

Offline KMGuy

• Curious
Are They Blowin' Smoke Up My ***.....
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:54:53 PM »
The '89 K100RS I bought the other day was at a non-BMW dealer(They do own a Beemer lot across town though) and the next day I was having some ABS fault issues, that's been dealt with, and the temp gauge was bouncing on the red at a stop but would pull down to mid-range on the highway and run mid to 3/4 on city streets. They agreed to take care of it and today they did a fluid service on her. The fan does work BTW. The Beemer mech said that the temp gauge worked like that, it was a flakey design and would be no problem. That seems odd to me but I don't truly know. I'm wondering if they're shining me on and it might need a thermostat or if they're being legit about it. Thoughts??

Offline Tiny97

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Are They Blowin' Smoke Up My ***.....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »
My temp gauge doesn't bounce around at all it will slowly creep up towards the red at stops till the fan kicks on. My fuel gauge will bounce around a bit at stops but generally reads correct at speed though when it gets low it starts to bounce more and may even read empty. My assumption is either bad sending unit or corrosion on a connection somewhere. Its on my list of gremlins to chase down but not highest right at the moment. Mines a 97 k1100 hope this helps.
1997 BMW K1100LT
1974 Yamaha TX750 (project bike)
1980 Yamaha XS650 bobber
1992 Yamaha Virago 750
1984 Yamaha Venture Royale (SOLD)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 (SOLD)

Offline KMGuy

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:34:18 PM »
My temp gauge doesn't bounce around at all it will slowly creep up towards the red at stops till the fan kicks on. My fuel gauge will bounce around a bit at stops but generally reads correct at speed though when it gets low it starts to bounce more and may even read empty. My assumption is either bad sending unit or corrosion on a connection somewhere. Its on my list of gremlins to chase down but not highest right at the moment. Mines a 97 k1100 hope this helps.
It does, I guess when I said "Bounce" I meant touching on it and then the fan kicks on as you described, thanks!!

Offline beachcomber

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:13:43 AM »
Electrics on ALL the Kays need TLC. Favourite to go go awol are the connectors into [ under ] the instrument pod and the ECU connections. That brings all sorts of weirdness to the gauges !

The first thing I do with a new to me Kay [ I've had 15 ] is to remove said connectors and give them a good dousing with switch cleaner. I have yet to get a bike and find NO corrosion at all, however mild - running all the way up to encrusted green crud. :eek:
"If at first you don't succeed - youve already been a failure once"

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:54:33 AM »
greetings kmguy...

what you described is generally typically normal...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »
+1 Beachcomber.  The additional instruments connector under the tank and connectors to each instrument are prone to corrosion being AMP open housing designs.  The flakey gauge behaviour is attributed to poor connections and can benefit from a good cleaning with contact cleaner (I recommend Deoxit).
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Finnigan

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:02:35 PM »
My temp gauge has always been VERY steady. Where are you located?

Tags: