MOTOBRICK.COM > The MBdotCOM Community Center

What RPM should I shit gears at on my 1991 K75RT ?

(1/3) > >>

xcaret:
I'm always dodling along and in no hurry . I often am in town with 30 mph ( 50 kph ) speed limits . I find my tach is usually pointing to around 2500 RPM's . I keep wondering if it's to low. If I want to pick up speed I downshift .
Another thing that I wonder about is the rare time my tachometer is up around ,or over 5000 rpm's and I'm in a lower gear ,my bike has way more exceleration than if I was at 3000 rpm's . The 60 mph,( 100 kph ) highway speeds in 5th gear keeps my tach around 5000.
Is this bike meant to be kept in higher rpm's in any gear ?       

johnny:
if you aints flirting with the red line you aints doing it right...

The Mighty Gryphon:
Bricks will run at the redline for hours.  They are built for that.  However they also have fair amounts of low end grunt. 

When I got my first brick, I was constantly looking for 6th gear when running down the road at anything above 50mph.  After several years of riding I now frequently find that I am happily going down the road at 65mph in 4th gear. 

I would say that 2500rpm is a little too low, the engine isn't really happy until it's turning at least 3000rpm, and as many say the fun doesn't start until you are over 4 grand.

frankenduck:
Max torque is at 6750. Rev limiter kicks in at 8700 RPM.

Passing on the highway works best if you shift to third and pin the throttle.

If you ride it in a lower gear through turns than you normally might then you'll have more torque coming out of turns.

Don't worry about high RPMs or even bouncing it off of the limiter occasionally. The engines are pretty bulletproof.

"Ride it like you stole it."

Chaos:
I tool around town about 2500 rpm too, no harm done but more power higher up.  Coming off an R65 when I bought my K I was surprised how low I could go and accelerate away smoothly.  And with a pipe on it now it's best not to wind it to redline in residential areas. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version