TECHNICAL MOTOBRICK WRENCHING In Remembrance of Inge K. > Project Sidecar Motobricks

DIY Sidecar

(1/4) > >>

Rcgreaves:
Gents:

The other day I swapped Keith some K75 bits for a DMG sidecar mount kit for K75.  Today I've been reading up about the various customizations possible and the pitfalls.  This is pretty fascinating to me as my wife had to give up her cycle last year and our family dog loves to go for rides...Never on the cycle, but my instincts say he will go for it.  A pal in nearby Madison WI has a Ural, KMEV who sold me my K has a sidecar. I plan to take the pooch for a spin. The dude with the Ural is hardcore for winter riding, pretty cool. ( I posted a vid here of him last year...

Another fun item is that I am enrolled in a welding certificate program at the local community college. So the idea of a DIY frame isn't particularly intimidating. 

Then there is this YouTube documentary about dogs and sidecars.  I must admit, this hit me like a stack of bricks.  Pnut, my son's service dog is an amazing companion when not working so any excuse I have to bring him along, I do. 

The set up details are fairly well documented online.  The customization with a leading link front suspension and the use of auto tires is something I need help understanding. 

It will be interesting to see in this can be mounted to my S, I expect from the images of the DMC kit that the case fairing must be removed? Two bolts, no big deal.   

I wonder if there are actual plans out there for one of these rigs? 

I saw one custom rig that utilized a monolever from a K for the sidecar suspension with a curved tub arching around to meet the top of the shock...very clever in deed.

Ok back to work.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Not sure about the car body yet...rolling dog house? ..I like the Kenna model at the DMG site.

Rcgreaves:
 Kudos to Keith for a top drawer packing job on this DMG mount kit.  I have everything less the rear shock , and brake caliper for the sidecar suspension so welding up the frame should prove less challenging than the bits in hand.  Time to scrounge tubing.  I'm thinking a roll bar and cage are in order. 

Motorhobo:
Hey --

I've had a DMC K75 mount since 2006 for my 1976 California Sidecar Friendship I sidecar. Jay installed it for me on site at his shop in Enumclaw back then, so if you have any questions about that I can probably answer them.

I see people with their dogs in sidecars and personally I think some of them are nuts for putting their animals in a position where they are so vulnerable. I mean, sidecar passengers are by nature just as vulnerable as their riders at the bars, but IMO the dog should at least have some protection. I looked for a year before finally finding the Friendship 1 in some dude's back yard. The Friendship I has a hatch, and both my sidecar dogs have been trained not to get in or out unless I personally open the hatch for them. Otherwise, you have to have to have some voice command that keeps them in there (and a very well-trained dog) or restrain them physically, which is potentially very bad since they are harnessed in and can't get away from danger if need be. I think the animal should be free to follow its instincts in a critical situation, but not have its center of gravity sticking out above the rim of the tub like I've seen some of these people so, where the dog is just sitting on the stock seat waiting for some reason to jump out or some minor impact to send them flying into traffic.

I pulled out the stock seat of the Friendship I the very first day so the dog would sit as deep as possible in the tub. In the meantime, I built a custom seat specifically for the canine physiology since it's so different from the human one and my current dog has some hip dysplasia issues and needs extra padding.

Anyway, good luck with that project and let me know if there's anything can do to help out...

MH

Motorhobo:
BTW that Sit Stand Ride video is old news for me, just so much hipster blah blah blah. I made this video long before there were GoPros and had to do some serious creative engineering to get the three cameras mounted and keep them running all day with 2008 technology. There's a story to this whole thing that makes even strong men weep but I prefer to keep it to myself.

Laitch:

--- Quote from: Motorhobo on February 21, 2019, 09:29:31 AM --- There's a story to this whole thing that makes even strong men weep but I prefer to keep it to myself.

--- End quote ---
Well done!  :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version