Author Topic: Coolant change…  (Read 256 times)

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
Coolant change…
« on: May 01, 2024, 05:39:23 PM »
 94 K75 8500 miles. Gentlemen, I decided to flush radiator and cooling system. The fan is now turning on more frequently in cool weather… ( not overheating, no light  )
  Ok drained everything, started from scratch. I can only get 2.25 liters into machine….there HAS to be air in block!
   1) You could not possibly add coolant more slowly. 2) kneaded upper and lower hoses on right side, first while sitting…then while pulsing starter…both times with radiator cap on ( that may matter ) 3) The expansion tank is filled, cap tight…also I checked thermostat & gasket…
Question #1 where is the air “ sitting” is there a hose clamp where I can burp air.?
#2 will the  air work its way out eventually?
#3 I live in Florida….right now it’s 70. Can I run K75 without thermostat? TIA
  • Ponte Vedra Fl
  • 1994 k75, 2001 Harley Dyna, 1990 K75ssss, & my favorite 2006 Vespa LX150!

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Coolant change…
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 11:13:10 PM »
Ok drained everything, started from scratch. I can only get 2.25 liters into machine….there HAS to be air in block!
   1) You could not possibly add coolant more slowly. 2) kneaded upper and lower hoses on right side, first while sitting…then while pulsing starter…both times with radiator cap on ( that may matter ) 3) The expansion tank is filled, cap tight…
Can I run K75 without thermostat? TIA
Burping with the cap on the radiator after filling the radiator cannot be done any more successfully than burping with your mouth closed after chugging a Corona.  :laughing4-giggles:

Starting over:
  • Empty the coolant reservoir.
  • Remove the radiator cap.
  • Fill the radiator with coolant to the neck of the filler opening.
  • Pulse the starter.
  • Knead and repeat until there are no bubbles releasing.
  • Add coolant until it reaches the neck of the radiator filler opening.
  • Replace the cap.
  • Fill the coolant reservoir to MAX.
If 2.5 liters is all it takes, that's all it takes but it's likely to take more if you do the procedure correctly. Just don't worry about it. Instead by a Spal 6.5" puller fan and use it to replace the stock BMW fan; it's sturdier and more powerful. If you've already done that, don't worry about that either.  :laughing4-giggles:

Leave the thermostat in. It helps the engine warm up sooner and by doing that, conserves fuel and limits carbon deposits on combustion chamber components. I've got personal experience that it can freeze in Immokalee, so wear your mittens if you go there in January, just to be on the safe side.  :laughing1:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 11:34:26 PM »
My experience:

Kneading 30 year old rad hoses repeatedly is not a good idea.

You could end up like I did 1,000 miles from home in a parking lot under a tree:
http://dws.x10host.com/tours/120415_rm2sea/120415_pics/DSC03266.JPG

And it was a Monday so even though I was in The Bay Area with several dealers nearby they were all closed.

When touring I now always carry Rescue Tape.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 11:37:54 PM »
My experience:
Kneading 30 year old rad hoses repeatedly is not a good idea.
You could end up like I did 1,000 miles from home:
Some people get carried away when kneading. You're lucky you didn't get a rash, too.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 11:57:41 PM »
It was not a fun day. I walked to a nearby auto parts store and bought some rad hose repair tape that ended up being complete garbage. Even though I applied several layers and zip-tied it the hose still leaked.

http://dws.x10host.com/tours/120415_rm2sea/120415_pics/DSC03267.JPG

I rode from Santa Cruz to a friend's house in Sacramento. Since it was still leaking I had to lane split stop-n-go rush hour traffic at 40ish to keep the temp gauge needle from pegging. Lane splitting at 40 in stopped traffic is not something that I would normally do.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 11:05:11 AM »
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline bluekbike

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 02:01:19 AM »
I recently bought a Spal 6.5" puller fan from Jeep Specialties, cost $60 plus $15 to ship. Price has gone up ten bucks but it's still a great deal compared to some alternatives. It's going in my 94 1100RS soon.
https://jeepandtruckparts.com/products/spal-325-cfm-6-5in-fan-push-va22-ap11-c-50s?variant=43733792227571&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwltKxBhDMARIsAG8KnqVaGvFJpGVO4_MocuxjJkE6eYtIPNAhkQdlv0J3Wh9uBG3J0HsoATsaAvdLEALw_wcB
  • Bainbridge Island, Washington USA
  • 94 K1100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 04:17:27 AM »
I recently bought a Spal 6.5" puller fan from Jeep Specialties, cost $60 plus $15 to ship. Price has gone up ten bucks but it's still a great deal compared to some alternatives. It's going in my 94 1100RS soon.
https://jeepandtruckparts.com/products/spal-325-cfm-6-5in-fan-push-va22-ap11-c-50s?variant=43733792227571&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwltKxBhDMARIsAG8KnqVaGvFJpGVO4_MocuxjJkE6eYtIPNAhkQdlv0J3Wh9uBG3J0HsoATsaAvdLEALw_wcB

$72 shipped on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PB44TO/
Buy parts here.

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 01:55:05 PM »
OK Laitch…I did get a little more fluid in her this time around Thanks!  factory says 2.5L… I think the belly pan I installed is making the fan run a little more often…PS…looking at a Blue 1990 K75S 41k to add to the corral. I’ll check for leaks near the clutch boot, also the bolt adjustment… Anything else? If I purchase…I’ll need to go through her pretty good including spline lube. Let me know of any obvious things to check specific to K bikes…..TIA
  • Ponte Vedra Fl

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 06:52:12 PM »
I’ll check for leaks near the clutch boot, also the bolt adjustment… Anything else? If I purchase…I’ll need to go through her pretty good including spline lube. Let me know of any obvious things to check specific to K bikes…..TIA
TIA is not accepted; only TATM is. :laughing4-giggles:

When idling or riding in slow moving South Florida traffic, the fan is going to run; that isn't a bad thing. It means the system is working. It shouldn't be running at speed. Let the bike idle for 15 minutes. If the fan doesn't start, that's a problem. The fan might run slightly less often if you were running 50:50 coolant:distilled water in hot weather. If the radiator fins are clean, if the coolant isn't cloudy, if the starting speed lever has two stages, there's hope. If love bugs are still problematic down there, you'll need to back-spray the radiator more often. You'll need to do that if you often ride at night, too.

Verify that the bulb check triangle in the instrument cluster is lit when the key is turned to On and goes dark after the front and rear brakes are activated

Look at the coolant reservoir. If it's below the MIN line, the previous owner's head isnt screwed on correctly and there might be other examples of neglect, like low or no oil in the rear drive and ancient fluid in the brake reservoirs. The brake fluid should be clear.

Leaks at the clutch boot aren't necessarily serious. They can be caused by lack of tension placed on the clutch nut by the clutch arm bolt because the basic clutch adjustment was incorrectly set, or by a loose boot clamp. Oil from the transmission/engine weep hole, or water/oil from the combination pump weep hole will take some disassembly to repair if the leaks are dripping significantly daily.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 08:10:10 PM »
Thanks Laitch, wish me luck…Imma turn this puppy into my daily driver as my current “ c “ has less than 9 k on the clock…I want to keep her virginity palpable…
  • Ponte Vedra Fl

Tags: 2.5 liter