TECHNICAL MOTOBRICK WRENCHING In Remembrance of Inge K. > Project Classic Motobricks

1991 BMW K75S barn find resurrection steps

(1/2) > >>

edengweiss:
Hello to all-

I've already introduced myself (In the Welcome to MotoBrick.com section) and moved over to this thread as suggested.

Scenario on the bike: has been off the road 2009 (last registered) and started and driven around the block 2 to 3 years he said after that.
So,12 or plus years dormant.

And so the process has begun following the nine step outline offered up by "The Mighty Gryphon" on another post titled rehab list.

Step #1.)
 Is done. I didn't use the exact brand cleaner but I cleaned the bike as
 best as I could. It's a lot better than it was for sure. More needed (will be done as I wait for parts).

Step #2.)
A.) All rubbers are bad, definitely dry rot and hard. Really not pliable at all, would definitely not rely on them. 
What is the best source for the z-tube and rubber caps that go on the throttle bodies. (Guessing Beemer Boneyard in NJ? OR another source?)

B.) I was able to get the coolant cap off very, very tight.  Slimy green stuff around the neck, no mineral deposits.

C.) Fan very stiff just barley able to turn with finger.  Worked it back and forth about 1/8 of turn at a time for a couple mins.  Still lots of stiffness no where near free spinning. Needs replacement (Guessing Beemer Boneyard in NJ? OR another source?).
 The fuel line that went from the tank down to the fuel rail pretty much crumbled apart in my hand. the end was stuck on the barbed part of the fuel rail. Need a new one (Beemer Boneyard for this too?)

D.) Brake pads also are very old and well worn done. I don't trust them.  I think new ones are best here.  From research is EBC the go to pad?  Source? (Guessing Beemer Boneyard in NJ? OR another source?)

E.) Air filter is full of debris.  Looks to be K & N.  Yes, mega rodent condo in air filter housing box below filter. smells like urine for sure. Will clean.

Thanks any and all comments are welcome-
Eden

edengweiss:
I wanted to add a few pictures for reference.

edengweiss:
Grommets

edengweiss:
Air filter

edengweiss:
Coolant neck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version