Author Topic: Hello from Canada  (Read 961 times)

Offline NORMR

• Curious
Hello from Canada
« on: March 05, 2023, 09:19:13 PM »
Thanks for accepting me. I'm from Quebec, Canada. I apparently have a reputation among most of my friends as a certifiable "bike nut" whose proven to spend a lot of the waking and even sleeping hours thinking/dreaming about bikes. So much so, that a friend of a friend has recently decided to gift me his beloved 1988 k75s that been sitting in a barn for the last 7 years. I have yet seen the actual bike and only have photos that prove its existence. Once the snow melts I plan on picking up this "barn find" with the hopes that its salvageable. Its a high mileage example with 189,000 kilometers.......

cheers
  • QUEBEC
  • 1988 K75S

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Hello from Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 10:07:27 PM »
Welcome!  This is a great place to get the help to get an old Brick running in top shape.  Many of us here have rescued bikes.  I personally brought a bike back from over 16 years of idle neglect. 

At 189,000km your bike should be good for at least another 100,000km if properly maintained.  I know of several owners who got well over 260,000km. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 10:46:49 PM »
That's a nice "gift."

As MG points out, 189K km is only medium high mileage.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline NORMR

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 10:52:01 PM »
Once I get my hands on the bike I plan on taking a look at the obvious and see if its a worthy project. If its rusted out and has an unhealthy engine I think my decision will be an easy one. I have 2 other running bikes and an idle goldwing thats been asking for my attention. I listened to the gentleman describe to me his last ride on the bike and he mentioned that while cruising along it suddenly felt like it lost a cylinder. He never investigated the cause and instead parked it. The cause can be electronic I guess which definitely might be better then a blown valve or other engine failure. Time will tell...
  • QUEBEC
  • 1988 K75S

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 08:07:18 AM »
I listened to the gentleman describe to me his last ride on the bike and he mentioned that while cruising along it suddenly felt like it lost a cylinder. He never investigated the cause and instead parked it. The cause can be electronic I guess which definitely might be better then a blown valve or other engine failure. Time will tell...

When you get the bike start a new thread and we'll get on it.  I would think the first thing you'll want to do is identify which cylinder is misbehaving. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Gio

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 02:55:57 PM »
Bonjour Normr and +1 on the welcome ... this site is indeed a fantastic resource - looking forward to following your thread when it starts!
  • NS, Canada
  • K75s ("Buttercup")
Halifax, NS
1994 K75s (UK spec)
1984 Honda 200ES (Big Red)

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 10:03:52 PM »
Unlike other bikes I've ridden, the K75 sits so comfortably in the crux of "sport" and "touring", with the addition of "modern" and "vintage" it is a perfect bike for me.

I hope you get her going and get to enjoy the pleasure of the three balanced cylinders, working all together!

Welcome and good luck.

For me, as a non-mechanic, this website had been very helpful and encouraging
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Tags: