Author Topic: Skidmarx screen on a K75S anyone with pics?  (Read 10543 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Skidmarx screen on a K75S anyone with pics?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 03:19:04 AM »
A good find Szabgab should also do the job. The tape I use is not rubber coated and is glossy, however a metre is more than enough to do the job. I'm going back to the marine shop tomorrow to see if they still have it. If they do I'll grab enough to keep me going. In the twenty years that I've been using it I had to redo the belly pan twice the tank twice and the windscreen once due to the bird strike. Heating the tape gently allows it to mold to curves and helps it stick.

Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Martin

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 08:10:01 PM »
I went down to the local marine place this morning and talked to one of the guys. He said they can still get it but the next roll will be slightly narrower. I bought a couple of metres of black and a couple of metres of white. The white will be used to cover the cars stone tray and protect it from stone chips. He is going to try and find out where they order it from and that may or may not assist overseas buyers in obtaining it.
Regards Martin.

Offline Martin

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 04:05:42 AM »
Szabgab when I first started using the tape it came in three widths 100mm, 50mm and 25mm. I used the 100mm and 50mm on the tank. I don't use the tape on the belly pan any more due to it being labour intensive. It requires a lot of pattern making and cutting and molding with a heat gun and had to be made of three 100mm strips for the front two vertical sides on either side of the pan and one horizontal across the lower edge. The belly had four 100mm strips butted up from front to rear.  The trouble with the tape on the belly pan was that after around 8 years water would eventually work it's way under an edge allowing it to peel. The second time I replaced it was due to damage from a prang and it was still holding well after approx. 7-8 years.The stuff I found  Ali is only 50mm wide, but there is sure to be more around in larger widths it might be worth emailing the supplier of the 50mm strips. If it is still available in OZ it has got to be available overseas  I would try boat and marine supply shops as that is where I found it in three local marine shops. Now there is only one stocking it in black and white in 100mm widths.
Regards Martin.
* Tank Tape 1.png (51.77 kB . 768x576 - viewed 452 times)
* Tank Tape 2.png (45.21 kB . 768x576 - viewed 454 times)

Offline szabgab

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »
Szabgab when I first started using the tape it came in three widths 100mm, 50mm and 25mm. I used the 100mm and 50mm on the tank. I don't use the tape on the belly pan any more due to it being labour intensive. It requires a lot of pattern making and cutting and molding with a heat gun and had to be made of three 100mm strips for the front two vertical sides on either side of the pan and one horizontal across the lower edge. The belly had four 100mm strips butted up from front to rear.  The trouble with the tape on the belly pan was that after around 8 years water would eventually work it's way under an edge allowing it to peel. The second time I replaced it was due to damage from a prang and it was still holding well after approx. 7-8 years.The stuff I found  Ali is only 50mm wide, but there is sure to be more around in larger widths it might be worth emailing the supplier of the 50mm strips. If it is still available in OZ it has got to be available overseas  I would try boat and marine supply shops as that is where I found it in three local marine shops. Now there is only one stocking it in black and white in 100mm widths.
Regards Martin.
* Tank Tape 1.png (51.77 kB . 768x576 - viewed 452 times)
* Tank Tape 2.png (45.21 kB . 768x576 - viewed 454 times)

Martin,  this is great,  thank you.  I was also thinking getting the belly pan done in truck bedliner,  if it withstands all sorts of stuff being dragged on it many many times,  surely it would survive a stone or two thrown at it by the wheel.  Also in that case it would be paint it once and forget about it forever,  the stuff is basically a thick layer of PU plastic...
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline Martin

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 12:19:57 PM »
To save damage to the belly pan you need a front mudflap. These are now thin on the ground and expensive, try this link for a slightly cheaper solution .90 cent . It's coming up to three years old and still going well. I have also worked out how to do a rear mudflap by slightly varying the method but as I don't really want a rear one I haven't tried it yet. If any body is interested I might give it a go when I free up a bit of time.   http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7914.msg57660.html#msg57660
Regards Martin.

Offline szabgab

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 03:29:36 AM »
To save damage to the belly pan you need a front mudflap. These are now thin on the ground and expensive, try this link for a slightly cheaper solution .90 cent . It's coming up to three years old and still going well. I have also worked out how to do a rear mudflap by slightly varying the method but as I don't really want a rear one I haven't tried it yet. If any body is interested I might give it a go when I free up a bit of time.   http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7914.msg57660.html#msg57660
Regards Martin.

Hi Martin,  I have followed the instructions on your excellent DIY tutorial and made myself an extender out of a PP flower pot.  It set me back a whopping $1.50, or thereabouts,  and I could probably make another 4-5 out of it.  I have cut the pot wrong side around,  as the curvature is the same,  so the edge of the pot became the flip -  see the pic attached.  I also fabricated a ruubber flap to protect the clutch arm,  gear indicator and such from water and debris.  The picture is lousy,  but I have cut the bottom of that flap to stripes,  so it not interfering with the wheel anymore.  Next will be the rear extender,  but I need to work out,  how to straighten the remaining bits of the curved flower pot :)
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline Martin

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 04:40:31 AM »
A hot air gun or a hair dryer can be used to reshape plastic. Go gently and slowly too much heat can melt the plastic. At a pinch boiling water might work but again be careful not to scald yourself.
Regards Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
. . . At a pinch boiling water might work but again be careful not to scald yourself.
I wear my Durian peeling suit when working with boiling water; I just don't wear the respirator because I like the smell of coffee.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline szabgab

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 02:34:40 PM »
OK, so I went ahead, and ordered a Skidmarx screen, I figured, it will be a great addition for the winter and I might shorten the stocker as per Gryphon's suggestion for the summer commute. Once the screen arrives (should be a day or two) I will put it on and add some pics, just in case somebody else is thinking of getting an aftermarket screen too for their 75S
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline szabgab

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 05:40:27 PM »
OK, screen arrived... Mounted and test drove it today. It is taller and wider, than stock, however it tapers off from the base, so the mirrors are not hitting the side, as I feared. It does not deflect air any more, than the stock does, or if it does, I did not notice a difference, I am 6"1. After taking these pics I added spacers to straighten it up a bit, but that did not change much either, so I will go back to no spacers in order to prolong the life of the screen. I am a bit ambivalent about the design of it, as it is rather wide at the base and it has got this omega shaped flowing line to it, which I am not so sure, I am too found of, but I guess, I will get used to it.

Here are some pics too... The bike is really dirty and geared up for the winter commute, so it is as ugly, as it will ever get in it's life, but again, it is cold outside and these tossers salt the road every day come rain or shine.

• Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Tags: