Author Topic: Aftermarket stand to support K1200RS with the center/sidestand assembly removed  (Read 167 times)

Offline UltraBird

• Curious
The center and side stands on my, new to me, 2003 K1200RS are a real mess, splotched with surface rust and what I thought was a layer of light brown dirt but it won't come off with Stoddard solvent and an industrial Scotchbrite pad. Even a wire brush has virtually no discernable effect on the brown stuff. I'd like to remove the entire assembly and have it vapor blasted and powder coated.

Anybody have any experience with wheel stands for single sided driveshaft/swingarm BMW models? I did some online searching and looked here but nothing looked very good except for a $700 (way out of my budget) item that was for more recent year models of BMWs.
I can't see using a front wheel stand by itself without a rear stand in place at which point I wouldn't need the front stand. With a front stand it seems like it would be so easy to have the front wheel twist/turn and drop the bike and then I'd have been better off leaving the nasty looking side/center stands as is.
I am challenged for storage space so I typically buy something like this for a specific use and then sell it off on Craigslist.

I may have go completely "off the reservation" and sink some big eye bolts in the garage roof trusses and use motorcycle tiedown straps on the handlebars and rear subframe rails running up to the eye bolts and tensioned.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

• In my garage
  • 2003 K1200RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline UltraBird

• Curious
Thanks frankenduck!

I was looking at wheel lift stands (which I don't really need for this application) and never considered this type of device. The price is in my budget and shipping is free right now. There are some negative reviews regarding strength and durability butt what do people expect for $69.90 American these days??
I really only need to use this once and get rid of it so it should be fine.......
  • In my garage
  • 2003 K1200RS

Offline K1300S

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
Is there a reason you can't just rest the bike on a stack of blocks under the engine?  I do that with my bikes all the time when I need to support it without the centerstand.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline K1300S

I actually have too many stands.  This one is free to someone who can come get it in Alexandria, VA.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/pp59/mblytle/20220422_120331.jpg

Comes with a free MC jack!
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/pp59/mblytle/20220422_120552.jpg

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
When I recently redid my clutch, I placed the bike on the centerstand and then took two sawhorses, one on either side of the bike. I removed the rear wheel first. I ran a piece of channel iron under the seat with one end on one of the sawhorses and lifted the bike onto the second sawhorse (I used a jack but you could probably do it with two people) -- it was easy then to remove the centerstand and side stand as one piece. And then the final drive, and the driveshaft enclosure / swingarm, transmission, various bits attached, ABS and so on, and then the clutch. That was the biggest job I've done on my bike yet, encouraged the various wrenchers on this site. (Who my wife alternately refers to as my "bike buddies" or my "enablers")
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Tags: