Author Topic: No Start ~ Slow Start ~ Whackness  (Read 12631 times)

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
No Start ~ Slow Start ~ Whackness
« on: March 31, 2018, 08:21:22 PM »
#1 Cause Of No Start -N- Electrical Whack ~ Backspin Starter Maintenance

thats right... other than the battery and grounds... this is #1...

dirty starters cause all kinds of electrical problems because of their whack load shed and sub-magical operation...

if you wanna keep your starter clean and avoid starter related electrical whack... simply spin the starter backwards on a regular basis to keep the brushes clean...

1-sit on your moto in 3nd gear or higher with key off...
2-roll backwards and pop the clutch...
3-repeat 4 or 5 times...
4-do this a few times a year...

j o

#2 Cause Of No Start -N- Electrical Whack ~ Motronic Jetronic Connection

thats right... other than the battery and grounds... this is #2...

unplug it... spray some electrical cleaner in there... toothbrush it real good... spray some more electrical cleaner in there... apply d5 and f4 deoxit... hardware store dielectric grease is prohibited... go getts you some yeeeeehaaaaa...

j o

#3 Cause Of No Start -N- Electrical Whack ~ 4 Pin Under Tank Connector

thats right... other than the battery and grounds... the 4 pin under tank connector is #3...

its under the tank... by the rear brake fluid resevoir... behind the right side cover...

unplug it... spray some electrical cleaner in there... then... spray some more electrical cleaner in there... i use deoxit d5 then f5... hardware store dielectric grease is prohibited... go getts you some yeeeeehaaaaa...

j o

#4 Cause Of No Start -N- Electrical Whack ~ Ignition Switch

thats right... other than the battery and grounds... the ignition switch is #4...

its where you do the insertion with the key... up there at the steering head...

here are some links as how to getts to it... then spray some deoxit all over the place... dielectric grease is prohibited... use deoxit it... go getts you some yeeeeehaaaaa...

don ellenbergers switch clinic...

j o

#5 Cause Of No Start -N- Electrical Whack ~ Side Stand Switch

thats right... other than the battery and grounds... the side stand switch is #5...

not all motobricks are equipped with side stand switches... butts if you gotts one you may wanna put a continuity tester on it or bypass it all together...

here are some links as how to getts to it... then spray some deoxit all over the place... dielectric grease is prohibited... use deoxit it...

the contact ring is what discerning motobrickers use globally...

order it by part number... when i gotts mine they didnt wanna sell it to me cause it said it was a special tool for certified technicians only... so i mail ordered one... and have achieved maximum yeeeehaaaaa because of it...

Bert Vogel's K100 Troubleshooting Guide is available as a pdf download at the bottom of this post. Click on the link.

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
Re: No Start ~ Slow Start ~ Whackness
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »
The K100 troubleshooting guide is now an intact and downloadable pdf copy. Click on the link at the bottom of the original post. Thanks to Rokah, Alabrew, and TommyT for bringing problems up for discussion so access could be repaired.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 83,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline sammysnail

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 10:18:15 AM »
A couple more to add from my personal experience.

IGNITION SWITCH   contains two switches. Just because something comes on when you turn the key, doesn't necessarily mean that BOTH parts are working. This once caused me a lot of trouble.

KILL SWITCH    I have had reluctant cold starting and not-quite-perfect running for a while. When out recently I suffered from  a disinclination to rev over 1500 rpm. I thought it was a fuel problem so I pressed the start button to try to richen the mixture. Problem mostly went away. A bit later I jiggled the kill switch, which I rarely use, and the problem went away entirely. Went home , dismantled the kill switch and cleaned it, etc. Bike starts and runs fine now.
  • 1985 K100RS Second owner. Triumph. Norton, Ducati, Montesa, Honda, Honda, etc.
Bought an R75/5 new. Cruising speed 100 mph. Those were the days. Now my K100RS will go faster, and I ride it slower (well, mostly).

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
A couple more to add from my personal experience. .  .  .
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 83,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Online The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 12:14:24 PM »
A couple more to add from my personal experience.

IGNITION SWITCH   contains two switches. Just because something comes on when you turn the key, doesn't necessarily mean that BOTH parts are working. This once caused me a lot of trouble.

In my experience, that switch should be put on a 5 year maintenance schedule for cleaning.  Once you get that damn set screw out to remove the switch from the lock it's not a really bad job.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline sammysnail

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 12:55:03 PM »
I recently had another interesting 'failure to launch'.

I started the motor for a few minutes six or seven times over a period of two weeks. Then when I tried to start it to actually go somewhere I got no result. Removed a plug, which sparked and didn't look wet. I then conducted a serious investigation into the fuel injection system, the function of which I now understand somewhat better. Still no result. Many days later, and at an utter dead-end, I substituted another spark plug and it started on one cylinder.

All four spark plugs had failed at the same time.  I had actually come across occasional failures previously in the presence of stale unleaded petrol. They spark when out of the motor, but fail under pressure.
  • 1985 K100RS Second owner. Triumph. Norton, Ducati, Montesa, Honda, Honda, etc.
Bought an R75/5 new. Cruising speed 100 mph. Those were the days. Now my K100RS will go faster, and I ride it slower (well, mostly).

Offline DrNocky

• Curious
  • The space between my thoughts
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 08:50:40 AM »
Johnny, you absolute legend! Thank you for the EXTREMELY HELPFUL trouble shooting guide. My K75 is finally awake after a year of hibernation. I carefully followed your guide, step by step and traced my problem to a broken wire in the starter wiring, and a dodgy/dying battery. The sound of her cranking and starting brought a tear to my eye. My R1150RT is probably a better winter option than my stripped back K75, but tomorrow when it stops raining I intend to wrap up well and take the K for a celebratory spin. You rock!
  • Dungarvan
  • 94 K75 custom R1150RTa

Tags: