Author Topic: 1986 K75C abandonned in the woods.  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Shinyballs

• Motobrick Curious
1986 K75C abandonned in the woods.
« on: May 25, 2023, 11:38:37 AM »
My son found this bike abandonned in the woods and after buying a Carfax report for it, we brought it back to our garage. No liens, never accidented, not stolen, it came out clear. We have the key but we don't have the ownership.
It is missing signals, tank, seat, headlight and all the fairings. The engine was seized but aftet 24 hrs of the pistons bathing in oil and WD40, it came loose. We took it all apart and to our surprise, the inside looks very good. The tranny works and looks mint, the pistons, crank, connecting rods and cylinders look mint.
We found a grounding wire on the third coil was severed, injectors are trash and a couple vacuum or cooling hoses are cut open. The wiring loom is pretty dry and grungy.

So the kid wants to make a café racer out of it, I do agree the bike is a good candidate for it. It's our first experience with a brick so feel free to give us pointers and tips to make this revival a success.

Thanks for reading.
  • Ontario
  • 1986 K75C

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
Re: 1986 K75C abandonned in ghe woods.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 06:18:55 PM »
My son found this bike abandonned in the woods and after buying a Carfax report for it, we brought it back to our garage. No liens, never accidented, not stolen, it came out clear. We have the key but we don't have the ownership.
Must you report the finding of an abandoned vehicle to the RCMP?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Shinyballs

• Motobrick Curious
Re: 1986 K75C abandonned in the woods.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 12:53:21 AM »
Must I? You tell me. 🙂 Frankenduck, thank you for the links.
  • Ontario
  • 1986 K75C

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
Re: 1986 K75C abandonned in ghe woods.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 01:36:43 AM »
Must you report the finding of an abandoned vehicle to the RCMP?

No matter where you are you need get a vehicle properly titled before you can register it for legal use on the street.  In the US it varies by state. Here in WA state, you can get a provisional title (or some name like that) for a VIN and register it but you still don't have a clean title. If, after three years, nobody else has filed a claim of legal ownership then you can get a clean title to the vehicle.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 09:21:27 AM »
First, Carfax only reports information that is sent to it by dealers, insurance companies and associated repair facilities.  It does not search data bases for things like thefts or unrecorded transfers.  That it doesn't show that the bike was stolen doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't.

The fact that it was found "abandoned" in the woods makes me, at least, suspicious of it's history.  If indeed it was stolen, and the theft was reported to the police, you or your son could very possibly have an extremely uncomfortable experience when you attempt to register it.  I would strongly suggest taking the VIN to the local police and having them run a check on it.  If it comes back clean, you can ask them how to get title to the bike. 

Because of the nature of how you found it, I suspect that if you can get a title, it will be a salvage title which makes the bike not worth very much, and possibly difficult to register for highway use.  Still, if you are willing to do what needs to be done to register it, it is an ideal candidate for a cafe build.

Last, Ontario is a pretty big chunk of real estate, and I suspect that local laws might vary a bit from place to place, so it might help us understand what you are up against if you maybe narrow down your location a little bit.  It can also help us make recommendations for sources of parts or service.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 10:15:14 AM »
Must I? You tell me. 🙂
Ask your caregiver; help like that is part of the job description.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline triplek

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 01:31:27 PM »
Vermont has a simple procedure to register untitled vehicles over 25 years old that pass a VIN check.  It is open to non residents and does not require a Vermont address.
"Every time you criticize my grammar, I like you a little bit fewer."

1995 K75 RTP, 1995 K75 RT, 1993 K75, two K75 frames, 1 fully assembled engine from airbox to exhaust tip and enough fairings and  parts to build another K. Soon.  ;)

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 03:47:55 PM »
Vermont has a simple procedure to register untitled vehicles over 25 years old that pass a VIN check.  It is open to non residents and does not require a Vermont address.
What's Vermont's rules got to do with this? When Ballsy first posted about the abandoned moto, I went directly to the RCMP site and it seemed to indicate such vehicles should be reported to them. They can then sift through the details to determine if the moto was stolen, or it's owner was kidnapped or disappeared. I was just interested in determining whether Ballsy was a Goody Twoshoes, or a rebel with a cause. We all must avoid stereotyping, eh?  :laughing4-giggles:

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Shinyballs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 04:01:53 PM »
Went to Service Ontario to get the history of the vehicle, it is still registered to someone and needs to go through an inspection to be deemed road worthy. That someone it is registered to is an ex co-worker I worked with for 11 and a half years. I don't know where he is now but will find out and give him a call to know more on what happened to this bike and what the next steps will be.
Is that satisfying to you Laitchy?
  • Ontario
  • 1986 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 04:12:07 PM »
That someone it is registered to is an ex co-worker I worked with for 11 and a half years. Is that satisfying to you Laitchy?
Small world, isn't it? Watch out all this doesn't get him cited for littering. All things considered, a maple creemee would be far more satisfying, but I've reached my limit today.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 10:53:51 PM »

So the kid wants to make a café racer out of it...

Thanks for reading.

K's don't really lend themselves to cafe-ing, blocky engine, radiator, endless electrical gremlins.  Find an old carbed Jap twin and let that carcass rot away in peace. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline rbm

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2023, 05:53:15 AM »
Because of the nature of how you found it, I suspect that if you can get a title, it will be a salvage title which makes the bike not worth very much, and possibly difficult to register for highway use.
In Ontario, there is no such thing as a salvage brand for a motorcycle.  That's only available for cars. Motorcycles  are branded either "Fit" or "Unfit".  If branded unfit, the motorcycle is not roadworthy and can never again be registered for roadworthiness.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 08:43:39 AM »
Motorcycles  are branded either "Fit" or "Unfit". 
It's at that point when a box of Vuelta Abajo Cohibas judiciously applied can have a profound influence on a favorable branding outcome.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Shinyballs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2023, 11:24:32 AM »
In Ontario, there is no such thing as a salvage brand for a motorcycle.  That's only available for cars. Motorcycles  are branded either "Fit" or "Unfit".  If branded unfit, the motorcycle is not roadworthy and can never again be registered for roadworthiness.

According to the "used vehicle information package" we have from Service Ontario, and I quote: "Unfit - Ministry records show that this vehicle may be mechanically unfit. License plates cannot be attached to the vehicle unless a safety standard certificate is provided to the ministry."
I don't see how this unfit branding is not reversible.
  • Ontario
  • 1986 K75C

Offline Shinyballs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2023, 11:34:09 AM »
K's don't really lend themselves to cafe-ing, blocky engine, radiator, endless electrical gremlins.  Find an old carbed Jap twin and let that carcass rot away in peace.

He saw some really cool café Ks (Kafé?) and his mind is set on doing it with this bike. I feel like it is easily doable and I agree there are better contenders but I find this bike is brilliant in its simplicity. Dry clutch, alternator, everything can be fixed in the engine without taking the block off the bike. Love it! It's basically a little car engine in a bike.
He loves the blocky engine, I would rather deal with liquid cooled than carbs and as for the electrical gremlins, we are keeping the ECU/efi loom but the other will be replaced by an M-blue unit and a new custom loom.
  • Ontario
  • 1986 K75C

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2023, 12:04:50 PM »
Well it looks like you have a course of action to follow now.  Good luck getting everything straightened out so your son can do this build.  Definitely be a Phoenix rising from the ashes, so to speak. 

Normally I'm not a fan of cafe projects on these bikes, but your bike has nothing to lose and probably needs a lot of parts that could more easily be sourced through cafe vendors.  I hope you start a project thread when you get it going.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline rbm

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2023, 12:56:13 PM »
According to the "used vehicle information package" we have from Service Ontario, and I quote: "Unfit - Ministry records show that this vehicle may be mechanically unfit. License plates cannot be attached to the vehicle unless a safety standard certificate is provided to the ministry."
I don't see how this unfit branding is not reversible.
Sorry, I mixed up Unfit and Irreparable.  Unfit simply means it was registered without a safety present.  Bring in a safety and that's it. No insurance, no plates. You can register then as "Fit" and "Unplated".  Get your plates later.

Stay away from "Irreparable", "Salvage", or "Rebuilt" as in Ontario it can NEVER be put back on the road - no matter what you do with it.  That's why you stay away from. salvage-title motorcycles from the USA as they fit this definition.

from the MTO website:

" ... All imported motorcycles previously branded as “Irreparable”, “Salvage”, “Rebuilt” or an equivalent brand in another jurisdiction are branded “Irreparable” when registered in Ontario.  A Structural Inspection Certificate cannot be issued for a motorcycle. This means that the motorcycle will never be eligible to be driven on Ontario roads and can only be used for parts.  ... "
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2023, 01:23:39 PM »
and his mind is set on doing it with this bike.

Save the loop, they're valuable!  http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=13444.msg120339#msg120339:laughing1: :laughing1:
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Martin

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2023, 05:43:11 PM »
It is now mounted on my wall.
Regards Martin.

* Re-Looping Kit wall 3.png.jpg (37.72 kB . 768x432 - viewed 312 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline rbm

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2023, 07:33:05 PM »
That might not be enough @Martin.  You are advised to build a bullet and bomb proof enclosure around it, like the Louvre does for the Mona Lisa
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Martin

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2023, 08:07:25 PM »
I have two highly trained attack Koalas on duty.
Regards Martin.

* Drop Bear 2.jpg.png (98.14 kB . 238x198 - viewed 268 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Shinyballs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2023, 04:21:54 PM »
We have a green light to proceed, we got a hold of the last registered owner of the bike, an ex co-worker and he is going to provide a bill of sale for us at no charge. We got the bike for free! 🙂 From the police department, if we had reported it to the police, it would've been seized and destroyed.
There are times when it's good not to comply.
  • Ontario
  • 1986 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 04:28:25 PM »
There are times when it's good not to comply.
Are we certain which times are which yet? I guess we'll all find out.  :laughing4-giggles: Anyway, please start a thread in the Custom Projects section so we can follow along.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Shinyballs

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 05:30:46 PM »
Are we certain which times are which yet?

I'll let you figure that one out on your own. 😁
  • Ontario
  • 1986 K75C

Tags: