Author Topic: 1988 K75 Saddlebags New Key  (Read 411 times)

Offline rocketbrick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
1988 K75 Saddlebags New Key
« on: June 15, 2023, 05:19:33 PM »
Hey y'all,

I got two saddlebags with my K75 I bought last month. They have all the locks tumblers in tact, but never came with a key. I tried to lockpick them, and even took them to a professional lockpick to get a new key cut, or at least get them opened. No dice.

Any solution on where I can get a new key cut for them and get them open?
  • Bordentown NJ
  • 1988 K75S

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: 1988 K75 Saddlebags New Key
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 12:29:05 AM »
You need to find a competent locksmith. K bike lock cores are pretty darned simple.

If you're going to a locksmith that can't pick the lock, get a lock core out and make a key then you're not dealing with somebody who is even remotely competent as a "locksmith."

Here's how simple it is:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/rekey/rekey.htm

I think this guy (me) might be able to help you if you send him one of your latches:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/otherstuff/lostkey/lostkey.htm
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 08:25:25 AM »
If the latches are locked, you can still remove them without getting all hairy-chested about it. Flip the cases over. The case hinges are two-piece. You can slide them off ends in each direction then lift the lid off the case body, flip it over, grind off the latch rivets, lift the latch assembly off the case and BINGO, its ready to mail to the maven of K-landia.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 12:04:16 AM »
If the latches are locked, you can still remove them without getting all hairy-chested about it. Flip the cases over. The case hinges are two-piece. You can slide them off ends in each direction then lift the lid off the case body, flip it over, grind off the latch rivets, lift the latch assembly off the case and BINGO, its ready to mail to the maven of K-landia.  :laughing4-giggles:

You need to be careful grinding or drilling off the ends of the rivets though. If you generate too much heat in the process then it melts the plastic around the holes where they mount. Water is your friend.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Tags: saddlebags k75 luggage