Author Topic: BMW K75 - KOSO speedo project with pictures.  (Read 46557 times)

Offline koon

• Curious
BMW K75 - KOSO speedo project with pictures.
« on: March 16, 2016, 05:37:18 AM »
Hello.

I just want to share pictures of my Koso installation, which took a week to complete.

I did the "messing-with-the-in-tank-fuel-sender" in order to make the Koso compatible with the K75 fuel sender.

I also did the Motometer removal of the original cluster and connected it to the Koso in order to make the Koso work with the k75 built in speed sensor.

I also bought a Gear Indicator / Start Enable board from RBM and integrated.

Here you go  :riding:

Hope you like my installation!

Thomas / Denmark
  • Denmark
  • 1991 K75 RT with ABS

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: BMW K75 - KOSO speedo project with pictures.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:48:12 AM »
Nice Job! Very clean and looks great - nice work:)
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »
Nice work.

Can you put up something about how you wired everything up?

Thanks!
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline sj2000

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
This is nice, how you connect this:  Gear Indicator / Start Enable board from RBM? Do you have the pictures?
  • Parker, USA
  • 1985 K100

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
Very sweet!  Please post model of KOSO, wiring details for those of us needing direction.  Any consideration to making housings for sale or posting the file so others can machine one.

Again super job!
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline koon

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 06:37:51 AM »
This is the speedo:

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/koso-digital-motorcycle-speedos/koso-dl-03-sr-multifunction.html

Here is the Koso wiring diagram:

Here is the 3D design file I made using FreeCAD.

http://www.siddepuden.dk/Koso/koso%203d.stl

Here is the stock cluster pin layout:

Pin 1 (red/white) to RED and YELLOW/WHITE on the Koso
Pin 2 (yellow/white) to 5th. Connector on neutral /gear board
Pin 3 (yellow/black) to 4th. Connector on neutral / gear board
Pin 4 (yellow/blue) to 3rd connector on neutral /gear board
Pin 5 (black/green) to 2nd. Connector on Neutral /gear board
Pin 6 (green/black) to brown on koso + 4th connector on motometer + 1st of the 3 connectors on the neutral / gear board. + 1st. Of the 6 connectors on the neutral / gear board. Pin 6 also goes to pin 9 with a pair of 56 ohm resistors.
Pin 7 (white color on my k75 ) to green on koso.
Pin 8 (Green/yellow on mine) ABS warning relay.
Pin 9 (blue) to pin 6 with a pair of 56 ohm resistors.
Pin 10 (violet/black) to purple on Koso
Pin 11 (brown/green) to gray on Koso
Pin 12 (I do not have choke lamp on the stock cluster)
Pin 13 (brown) to black on koso + 6th connector on neutral / gear board + 3rd of the 3 connectors on the neutral / gear board.
Pin 14 (white/blue) not used
Pin 15 (White) to yellow on koso
Pin 16 (black/blue) to Brown/red on koso
Pin 17 (blue/black) to blue on koso
Pin 18 (brown) not used
Pin 19 (red/blue) to orange on koso
Pin 20 unused
Pin 21 no wire or not used
Pin 22 ( yellow ) to 1st. Connector on motometer.
Pin 23 (brown) to 2nd. Connector on motometer.
Pin 24 No wire or not used.

The 2nd. Of the 3 connectors on the Neutral /gear board goes to white on the Koso.

2nd connector on motometer also needs to have a ground wire connected.
 3rd connector on motometer goes blue/white (speed sensor wiring) on the koso. This wire is not displayed on the koso wiring diagram because it is part of the 3 wire speed sensor wiring on the koso.

Here are pictures of the Neutral / geard board from RBM. I think he has made a updated version of it now.

This is propably pretty confusing maybe it can help you.

• Denmark
  • 1991 K75 RT with ABS

Offline billday

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:31:28 AM »
This is great -- thank you!
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline hugoo

• Curious
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 05:12:25 AM »
Wow!!! this is awesome! just bought the same meter! searching for tips and tricks I stumble upon this thread! those meter holders are not going into production are they? Cause I would love to get my hands on one of those!!!!
I dont understand correctly, did you or did you not manage to use the originil speed signal for the koso? Sorry is said this allready, but i didn t get it :)
  • BE
  • K75 projekt, honda nx 250 projekt

Offline koon

• Curious
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
I dont understand correctly, did you or did you not manage to use the originil speed signal for the koso? Sorry is said this allready, but i didn t get it :)

Hi Hugoo,

Yes, I did manage to get the original bmw k75 speed sensor to work with the Koso  :yes I did as described here:

Further info on how I mated stock speed sensor to aftermarket gauge  (BMW to 5v Digital)

This method worked for my 93 K1100LT (ABS 1/early model year version), proceed at your own discretion. 

1) Remove your stock gauge cluster.
2) Open it up to reveal the back of the important bits.
3) You will see that there are a couple small circuit boards placed in plastic clips.  You are looking for one that is approx 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide and 2 1/2 to 3 inches long.  It is readily accessible. It will say in printing " blah blah part #, MOTO METER, blah blah part #."  I can long longer read those off my board before you ask.  Another visual indicator is that it has 4 female connections in a row on one end.
4) Remove the board.
5) I removed the 4 female stab connectors and put in terminal connections.  Each connection point is labeled with other a single or dual letter combination.  I can no longer read mine.

6) When looking at the top (front) of the board and the MOTO METER is correctly orientated the connections are as follows:
Left to right

Speed sensor +  (yellow wire) (from final drive)

Ground (brown wire from speed sensor AND another lead to vehicle ground)

Digital Signal Output + (any color you like) (you need to identify which lead from your new speedo is the POSITIVE SIGNAL IN)

12v + (I used switched power from something that I removed)

7) Package it up to prevent shorts, use the new speedo tire diameter to adjust and calibrate. 

Note: This circuit supplies 6 (six) 5 volt + signals for every rotation of the wheel.

Good luck  :2thumbup:
  • Denmark
  • 1991 K75 RT with ABS

Offline hugoo

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 03:16:19 AM »
thx for this valuable info! Ill be receiving my koso soon! Your topic zill be verry usefull!
  • BE

Offline stuman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »
Great work koon!  I will be fitting a koso soon.  It's different from yours but I'll be cross referencing your thread here. 

Also where have you put your ignition?  I need to relocate mine and I want to put it in some type of cylinder where it fits snug and the locking lugs will stop it from spinning.  I'd also like to screw the circular ignition indicator into the top so perhaps come up with a threaded one.  A hole in the bottom for the ignition wire and a short bracket on the back to attached to the hole where the old binnacle once screwed into.  Please see my crappy diagram attached!!  Obviously I have scaled the ignition barrel down so it is clear what I mean but it would have to slide in snug.

Looking at that holder you produced could you or anyone you know come up with some thing and sell it?

Thanks
Stu
  • Worthing - UK
  • K75 - 1991

Offline hugoo

• Curious
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 05:40:02 AM »
I have a different "neutral switch start emulating" relais set up I think. It might be the same but a different manufacturer, unit garage:
http://www.unitgarage.com/relais_k_series
I hope I can figure out how to use this one instead of the one u used! Its not gonna work with a gear indicator I think... we will see!

PS, which is the first connector on the moto meter board you refer to? Is it the one connected to speed sensor + ?

also, is it possible u mixed up these 2:

Pin 2 (yellow/white) to 5th. Connector on neutral /gear board
Pin 4 (yellow/blue) to 3rd connector on neutral /gear board

because in the manual from RBM it sais:
yellow/white; to  3th connector
yellow blue ; to  5th connector

thx
  • BE

Offline rbm

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »
I have a different "neutral switch start emulating" relais set up I think. It might be the same but a different manufacturer, unit garage:
http://www.unitgarage.com/relais_k_series
I hope I can figure out how to use this one instead of the one u used! Its not gonna work with a gear indicator I think... we will see!
This product is just a pre-packaged version of the popular relay circuit.  The three white wires attach to each of the yellow TGPI wires, and one black wire attaches to the brown wire on the TGPI.  The remaining black wire attaches to a ground point on the motorcycle and the red wire goes to the Black/Green wire on Pin 5 of the cluster.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline hugoo

• Curious
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 08:27:34 AM »
RBM, thank you for that useful info (although I dont know yet if I fully understand :-))
But, what do you mean with the popular relay circuit?
Do you mean the one you made? Because if so, are they still available? I read in a thread they were no longer available so I settled with the one from unit garage.
because I still am interested in the one that can link my k75 up with a gear indicator! I believe this circuit only solves the neutral start ignition problem....
  • BE

Offline hugoo

• Curious
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »
Ok so I wired the koso to my K75, I used the prepackeged relay from unit garage described above. I wired it just like RBM said:

The three white wires attach to each of the yellow TGPI wires, and one black wire attaches to the brown wire on the TGPI.  The remaining black wire attaches to a ground point on the motorcycle and the red wire goes to the Black/Green wire on Pin 5 of the cluster

except for the "remaining black wire attaches to a ground" this is in fact a grey wire that seems to be needed to be connected to the koso white wire (neutral light). as the included diagram sais: grey > neutral light.

Every thing seems to work properly... Neutral indicator lights up when in neutral, goes out when in gear. But no ignition! neither when I pull the clutch.
What am I doing wrong? could there be another reason why I can t ignite?

EDIT;

I checked every step in topic,
I forgot this step:

could this be a reason for no ignitiion? if so, should I place the resistors in series to 112ohm or paralel to 28ohm?
If this is not the problem, here are those resistors for?
  • BE

Offline rbm

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 05:19:13 PM »
Sent you a PM.

could this be a reason for no ignitiion? if so, should I place the resistors in series to 112ohm or paralel to 28ohm?
If this is not the problem, here are those resistors for?
They are for the alternator, to make the field coils work so that it can charge the battery.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline rob_ertin

• Curious
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »

I did the "messing-with-the-in-tank-fuel-sender" in order to make the Koso compatible with the K75 fuel sender.

can you explain this, please?
  • Spain
  • K75S

Offline rbm

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »
can you explain this, please?
Referring to a K100-Forum post I composed that talks about working with the in-tank fuel sender. The Koso fuel display needs a resistive sender that works opposite to the BMW one - so just flipping the board in the sending unit will make it compatible.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline rob_ertin

• Curious
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 04:45:14 AM »
Thank you!!!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  • Spain
  • K75S

Offline rdrevolucion

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »

Pin 6 (green/black) to brown on koso + 4th connector on motometer + 1st of the 3 connectors on the neutral / gear board. + 1st. Of the 6 connectors on the neutral / gear board. Pin 6 also goes to pin 9 with a

Pin 22 ( yellow ) to 1st. Connector on motometer.
Pin 23 (brown) to 2nd. Connector on motometer.

2nd connector on motometer also needs to have a ground wire connected.
 3rd connector on motometer goes blue/white (speed sensor wiring) on the koso. This wire is not displayed on the koso wiring diagram because it is part of the 3 wire speed sensor wiring on the koso.

Good evening,

Thanks for the great post, tomorrow I will recive the same gauge, the Koso, and i have just dissarmed the motometer board to adapt as you have done.

Just two questions.

First, which is the 1st conector? The one which a BE inscription or the one with the + ?

And the other is related with the resistors for the battery charge module. Do you mean I have to conect in "serie" so 2 x 56ohms= 112 ohms?

best regards!
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • BMW K75 Project

Offline rdrevolucion

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »

Hi everyone,

Do you know if it's possible to invert the circuit, in order to read the good values and not dissamble the tank?

Best regards,
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • BMW K75 Project

Offline rbm

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 05:45:54 PM »
First, which is the 1st conector? The one which a BE inscription or the one with the + ?
Refer to this image.  Note carefully the markings on the board and the orientation of the components:

And the other is related with the resistors for the battery charge module. Do you mean I have to conect in "serie" so 2 x 56ohms= 112 ohms?
Yes, in series.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline rbm

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 05:47:17 PM »
Do you know if it's possible to invert the circuit, in order to read the good values and not dissamble the tank?
No, that is not possible.  It's programmed into the meter and there is no configuration option to change that behaviour.  'Fraud you'll have to tear into your tank.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline rdrevolucion

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »
Refer to this image.  Note carefully the markings on the board and the orientation of the components:

Yes, in series.

Excuseme Rbm, but just to be sure at 100%

This is the board, we can read Moto Meter in normal position, so here the first conector is the one in the left, isn't it?

Cheers!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • BMW K75 Project

Offline rbm

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
From left to right on the photo of your board, the pins are:
BE - (an input) goes to Yellow wire coming from the sensor in the rear drive
"-" - goes to ground.  Also connect the Brown wire from the sensor in the rear drive to this terminal
BA - (an output) goes to the speedo input on your Koso gauge
"+" - goes to a source of switched +12V power
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Tags: