Author Topic: First k bike  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
First k bike
« on: February 05, 2024, 07:46:42 AM »
Hi all, just got my first k and finding this forum interesting and useful already.
Cheers
Jb
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: First k bike
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 01:22:47 PM »
 :welcome
Which year and model is your Brick. There can be parts differences among them. What's the distance reading on the odometer? Have you put much riding distance on it yet?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 02:54:45 PM »
Hi laitch Thanks for the welcome. My k is a 1989 k100. 20750 miles on her. In England it’s easy to confirm mileage so I know it’s genuine. Having said that after taking delivery of her last week I found the head gasket had failed, emulsified oil, bubbles in coolant and low compression on  1&2 cyl. And when I took the cover off to access the oil filter a load of water came out. Any way I’ve replaced head gasket and got her running lovely now. I can’t take her on public roads yet as we have to pass a inspection to get it taxed and insured over here, I don’t want to incriminate myself on a public forum, but she rides nice😉
I was really disappointed with the head gasket failure given the reputation these bikes have for reliability, I can only imagine it failed due to being un used for the previous 7 years??
Once I get her road legal I want to explore getting her tuned better. From what I’m reading these bikes run rich and this can be corrected in the ECU? Plugs look like she’s rich and smells rich too!
I need a new/better battery as I’m having the starter relay issues that seem to be common with these bikes, probably due one as it looks original!
I’ll put some pictures on here when I can work it out and on my you tube channel as well.
I’ll try to keep more active on here as I get used to it,
Jb
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 03:06:40 PM »
Even when they sit a for a long time, it's very rare for Ks to have head gasket issues. Good to hear that you got it going again.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 03:32:36 PM »
From what I’m reading these bikes run rich and this can be corrected in the ECU? Plugs look like she’s rich and smells rich too!
Thanks for the additional information. Is it an RS or an LT?
A Brick in a good state of engine tuning does not run rich. The rich-running condition cannot be remedied by tinkering with the either the Ignition Control Unit nor the Fuel Injection Control Unit; both of which are ECUs. It helps to be specific. Anyway,  they weren't designed to be tinkerable.  Rich-running is most often remedied by using the correct spark plugs, having a relatively unobstructed air filter, having valve clearances within specification, and having a coolant temperature sensor operating within specifications. Those are the elements most commonly affecting performance. Cleaning all electrical connections in a neglected Brick helps performance reach optimal levels. The recommended electronic contact cleaner around here is DeOxit D5. Music stores with electronic equipment often sell it.

Post your future mechanical, electrical and spiritual challenges in the Motobrick Workshop where the scrums take place.  :laughing4-giggles: Advice will fall into your lap in abundance like frogs from the sky. Good luck with your Brick.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 04:29:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice, definitely lots to get my head around!
Not sure about the model laitch, she’s a ‘naked’ bike so I presumed just k100?
Jb
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 04:45:02 PM »

* IMG20240119165453.jpg (68.09 kB . 768x432 - viewed 197 times)
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 05:08:11 PM »
That looks like a naked K100 that someone added a K75C headlight surround to.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 05:13:38 PM »
Now that makes sense, I was wondering why I couldn't find pictures of a k100 with the same fairing. I like it so it'll be staying on👍
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 05:19:16 PM »
Now that makes sense, I was wondering why I couldn't find pictures of a k100 with the same fairing. I like it so it'll be staying on👍

Worth keeping. It gets rid of chest blast.
Buy parts here.

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 05:39:11 PM »
Definitely 👍
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2024, 09:59:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice, definitely lots to get my head around!
Not sure about the model laitch, she’s a ‘naked’ bike so I presumed just k100?
Put the last seven digits of the Brick's identification number into this VIN checker and tell us what comes up.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 05:51:32 AM »
Hi laitch, hopefully the VIN search should be attached!
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 06:34:00 AM »
Here's another VIN decoder to try:
https://www.mdecoder.com/
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2024, 09:17:09 AM »
Hi laitch, hopefully the VIN search should be attached!
Thanks. That's good enough for me. The 07/86 production date could make a small difference when selecting certain parts. It's a nice looking specimen. Congratulations. icon_cheers
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2024, 11:07:03 AM »
Thanks, I think she's a great looker. I've been to my nearest BMW dealer today and disappointingly a lot of the spares are discontinued. I wanted a OEM coolant sensor but they can't supply one. I have other options but I was surprised!
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2024, 11:41:55 AM »
Thanks, I think she's a great looker. I've been to my nearest BMW dealer today and disappointingly a lot of the spares are discontinued. I wanted a OEM coolant sensor but they can't supply one. I have other options but I was surprised!
No surprise over here but don't always accept the "discontinued" story from a dealership parts department without further research into alternatives.  :laughing4-giggles: We do have one or two that are helpful—MaxBMW in New England and New York State, Bob's in Maryland, and A&S on the Left Coast.  Euro Motoelectric in Colorado has also come through with hard to find parts. Many members dip into supplies from Motorworks UK and Motobins UK plus the outfits tills.de and kpartsholland in the EU, too.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2024, 11:51:13 AM »
The Bosch part number for the temp sensor is 0280130032.
Buy parts here.

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 05:20:55 PM »
Cheers guys. I've just ordered one from motoworks in the UK, not far from me 👍 bike now booked in for MOT inspection on Saturday, if it's not snowing. Could be legal on the road on Monday 🤞
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2024, 06:25:40 PM »
Latest update, after fitting temperature sensor I thought I'd check the fan. After trying to unsuccessfully power it up I found the internals melted probably due to a short !! This I imagine explains the head gasket failure. MOT test test now put back until the new fan and motor arrives from motoworks. This has set me back a week but nothing lost really as the weather is bad.
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 03:40:19 PM »
Does the MOT care if the fan spins?
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2024, 04:16:42 PM »
Hi, no not at all, it's not part of the inspection. Considering the weather here it made no sense to put it back together then take it apart again for the sake of a couple of days.
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline Jb223

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 05:05:24 PM »
YouTube video of the old girl running again 👍
https://youtu.be/TgZ2S6bMyFk?feature=shared
  • Barnoldswick
  • K100

Offline matjas

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2024, 05:05:36 AM »
congrats on the new bike. it sure must have been painful to tear it down but there is nothing like bringing a bike back to life and giving it the first spin around the block ;) even without the formal crap done ;D

I really like the way it looks - my full fairing K1100LT is boiling me alive in the summer so at least you will not suffer from the heat on this k100. BUT I bet you would love to have the full fairing in the weather pictured in your clip :D we cant have it all, can we.

best regards and ride safe
matjas
  • Poland
  • K1100LT

Tags: k100