Author Topic: New (ish) k100 owner from Sweden  (Read 690 times)

Offline Mr.Tom

• Motobrick Curious
New (ish) k100 owner from Sweden
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:02:57 PM »
Hello fellow k owners  :euro

I'm a 28 years young soon to be dad who started motorcycling 4 years ago. I started out on a Kawasaki ZR7s and now own a custom k100 and a soon to be custom Honda cx500. A few years ago a friend and me caught the cafe racer bug. He ended up building a classic cafe racer from a Suzuku GS750 -78, I took a slightly different road and bought myself a beat up k100 -84. Previous owner got it from a friend but didn't ride it much as he was more of a custom bike fan. Aesthetically the bike was a mess, sun have had its way with the paint and there were a few dents and battle wounds but the engine and gearbox ran like a train. She was the perfect candidate for my customization. She had a mere 100 000 kilometers on her and from what I had gathered she would do many more.

I don't have that many before pictures but I've attached a few before and after pictures. She is still a work in progress (currently working on tachometer jumping about) and is subject to change.

I joined now because I want to give back from all the lurking I have done, so much useful information here and on other brick forums.

Drive safe
Tom
  • Sweden
  • K100 -84

Online Laitch

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New (ish) k100 owner from Sweden
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Well done, Mr. Tom!
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75T 60,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Online mr_haut

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
That's a gorgeous bike Mr.Tom!
And moving the side stand to the right is a nice way to get rid of the oil burning!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Online mr_haut

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
I'm however slightly weirded out by your post. I'm a 29 year old, soon to be dad from Denmark. Started out riding 4 years ago, and recently changed out my Yamaha XJ600 for an 1983 K100RS with 120'xxxkm on the clock.
For now the bike might stay close to original, but the custom road is definitely being considered. Though I'm leaning more towards the tracker segment.
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one my age, who's been bitten by a mad Brick!

Offline Mr.Tom

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
That's a gorgeous bike Mr.Tom!
And moving the side stand to the right is a nice way to get rid of the oil burning!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, moving the side stand was done for two reasons, get rid of the happy clouds every time i start her up and to show off the pretty side ;)

Congrats on "soon to be dad"  :clap: . I was also a bit weirded out on another forum (cx500forum) where a guy in the UK is building a cx500 with a "bbcr" kit (started two months ago) who just recently had a daughter. I'm also working on my cx500 and plan to order the same bbcr kit.

Enjoy your bike stock for a season, it's a really nice experience. I think the tracker route is a good way to go, its such a beefy machine .

Here are a few pictures of my side stand modification. Note the Raask k100 footpegs.
  • Sweden
  • K100 -84

Offline riots100

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
I'm guessing that when the side stand is folded up, it tucks under the crankcase cover?
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1992 K75, 2007 K1200GT
----
Bruce Johnson

Online Laitch

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
I can't tell from the photo in the original post whether the vice grip was powder-coated black or left with its stock finish. :giggles
  • 1995 K75T 60,000 miles

Offline jackgeiger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
Good looking bike.  I think that is the nicest seat I have seen on a conversion!
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:19:33 PM »
Great looking build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline Mr.Tom

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 02:50:41 AM »
Good looking bike.  I think that is the nicest seat I have seen on a conversion!
Thanks, I'm really pleased with how the seat turned out, its mostly stock (base and foam has been reshaped) and took a few tries to get it just right. First try I went with a redish brown color, wasn't pleased with how it aligned with the tank so I had to reshape the base and foam to make it more streamlined. I then thought it would be a good look to try two toned and contacted an old school hot rod interior tailor who helped me for some $150, money well spent.

[/size]I'm guessing that when the side stand is folded up, it tucks under the crankcase cover?

Yeah, it uses the original springs to force it up and it rests nicely under the crankcase cover. I have welded a nut to limit its movement so that it wont touch the rear tire.
  • Sweden
  • K100 -84

Online Laitch

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »
I'm guessing that when the side stand is folded up, it tucks under the crankcase cover?
Yeah, it uses the original springs to force it up and it rests nicely under the crankcase cover. I have welded a nut to limit its movement so that it wont touch the rear tire.
Is it accurate to assert that Mr. Tom's relocated side stand rests offset and beneath the swing arm, not the crankcase cover?

That is how it appears to me but I haven't finished my first coffee of the day. An answer would help me decide whether I should ride the bike this morning or just stack firewood.
  • 1995 K75T 60,000 miles

Offline Mr.Tom

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »

Is it accurate to assert that Mr. Tom's relocated side stand rests offset and beneath the swing arm, not the crankcase cover?

That is how it appears to me but I haven't finished my first coffee of the day. An answer would help me decide whether I should ride the bike this morning or just stack firewood.
This is correct, you get the go ahead to ride your bike  :2thumbup:  Looks like I was the one who needed my morning coffee.
  • Sweden
  • K100 -84

Offline wally.fisher

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 12:53:40 PM »
I'm not a fan of customising these bikes, but yours looks very neat I also like the finish at the seat and rear end. Interesting that you've got a r/hand side stand, any chance of more detail on how it's mounted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mr.Tom

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »
I'm not a fan of customising these bikes, but yours looks very neat I also like the finish at the seat and rear end. Interesting that you've got a r/hand side stand, any chance of more detail on how it's mounted?

Thanks for the comment.

I'll try to walk you through the side stand. The mount i made up of two parts, the base (the rectangular shaped piece) and the bent part that the stand is attached to. I basically made a mirrored mount for the side stand from 10mm steel. Measured the screw holes on the original mount and applied it to my new mount.

Then in order to adjust the stand I cut it in two and rotated the bottom piece 180 degrees and welded it together again, I used a thick pipe as reinforcement. Then I started shaping the bent part (lets call it the arm) so it allowed the side stand to travel in the desired angles. I drilled two holes in the arm, one for the side stand bolt and one for the spring mechanic. In order to get the spring working properly I had to file the J shaped bracket a bit.

I then screwed in my base plate to the bike and used a vice grip to attach the arm and aligned it properly and welded it.

I don't have a picture for it but I ended up welding a nut to the arm to stop the side stand from going all the way to the rear tire.

Unfortunately I believe I don't have the measurements for the base or the arm unless the papers are hiding somewhere in the garage.

I hope the pictures are helpful.

• Sweden
  • K100 -84

Offline Mr.Tom

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »
missed one picture
  • Sweden
  • K100 -84

Offline wally.fisher

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
missed one picture

Alright thank you, I'm sure this will help someone.

Online Martin

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »

Welcome to the asylum from the land of OZ.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s, Lefaux, Vespa V twin

Online Laitch

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 05:06:01 PM »
That is a useful pictorial guide to side stand modification, Mr.Tom.  :clap: Martin is probably going to startup a cottage industry fabricating them for Ozians as a supplement for his bucket-born mudguard business.
  • 1995 K75T 60,000 miles

Online Martin

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »

Laitch too busy with the Bucketflaps and the Beemerangs. (Names are subjected to copy write)
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s, Lefaux, Vespa V twin

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Welcome to the club!  Nice clean looking rendition of a k bike.  But you need to get some lucky numbers on your side plates. :bmwsmile
  • Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi