Author Topic: Rant  (Read 18022 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Rant
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »
When it was my turn at the toll booth and I was fumbling through my jacket I asked the collector why my EZ Pass wasn't used on the Mackinac Bridge when it is used nearly everywhere else.  He replied that the union won't let the bridge authority use EZ Pass because it would eliminate jobs.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
I try to avoid toll roads, at one stage they were charging motorcycles the same price as cars. We seem to be getting more and more of them, the price of progress. :musicboohoo: I've been stuck inside for two days with the rain, now suffering withdrawal. Might have to go play in the rain, and sit under a soggy palm tree.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 08:46:56 PM »
At least you are looking at the onset of summer albeit a soggy season.  I'm looking at the prospect of snow up to my arse in 4-6 weeks when the weather gets cold enough for our lake effect snow storms.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »
When it was my turn at the toll booth and I was fumbling through my jacket I asked the collector why my EZ Pass wasn't used on the Mackinac Bridge when it is used nearly everywhere else.  He replied that the union won't let the bridge authority use EZ Pass because it would eliminate jobs.
Same reasoning why I don't/won't use the "self check" lanes at a store. Don't want to be an 'enabler' to eliminating jobs, even as low paying as they may be, they are still a job for someone.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
Scott, you are fortunate to live in a state where there are few if any tolls to pay.  I go across two toll bridges every day on my commute to work.  My EZ Pass enables me to pay a commuter rate as well as saving as much as 2 hours a week waiting in line at the booths. 

I am just as interested as the next guy in protecting jobs, but $500 a year and over 100 hours waiting in line is more than I'm willing to pay.  Especially since the tolls were supposed to be eliminated when the bridges were paid for 60 years ago.

I'm sure you would feel different if you had to pay tolls when riding a bike.  It's not as easy as when you're in a car.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
Before they eliminated the toll booths, I used to carry money in a 35mm film canister  wrapped with Velcro. I had Velcro on the dash pad which it stuck to. When I hit the booth I would just give them the canister they would take out the money and put the change back, save a lot of time and fumbling with gloves and change. I always got the correct change and never got short changed. I used to have a pen and note book Velcroed to the dash pad which I needed at the time for work.
Regards Martin.

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 06:25:24 AM »
Gryph QLD got rid of the last manned toll in 2009 all electronically done with number plate recognition, if you don't have a transponder. You will get a present in the mail if you don't ring and pay. Two local shopping centres also have number plate recognition first three hours parking is free, but after that you have to pay unless you are going to the flicks and then they give you another hour free. Motorcycles are exempt from paying at the shopping centre as the system shoots your front plate which is non existent on motorcycles. Road side mobile police radar traps also shoot the front of  your vehicle. The new unmanned camera trailers shoot the rear unfortunately.
Regards Martin.

How scary is that? Here in 'Murcuh I don't think that would survive a legal challenge, at least not in the private parking domain.

So where are you supposed to stick your MC transponder that noone will steal it?

BTW we don't have front plates in 'Murcuh - they did away with them decades ago.
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »
TMG, tolls are just another form of a tax. We can't avoid them. I have yet to see a "tax" discontinued after it's intended purpose was satisfied. The government always seems to find another purpose for the income. Around here, they have been talking about highway tolls to pay for new road repairs----that's what I thought our current road use taxes were for--- what was I thinking, silly me :hehehe.

Yes, your tolls probably did pay for your bridges, and they are also supposed to pay for upgrades and replacements, and the salaries of the toll booth staff........ so if they reduce toll staff to only a self pay system, do you really think they will reduce the $ you pay, oh heck no....  I do agree with you though, if it is going to be a 'requirement' to pay no matter what, then yea, make it as easy as possible. They wouldn't have to have all booths manned. I have ridden out there. Visited a friend in Manhattan then we went to New Hampshire and yes the toll booths were a pain.
Unions have a place, but they are like the government, they got to greedy for their own good and have contributed to their own downfall and demise.

• My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 07:49:39 AM »
I have my EZ Pass transponder mounted to the inside of the rear cowl cover.  Out of sight and out of the weather.  Works great with the plastic seat pans, but not sure if it would work there with an early model steel seat pan.

We all know that the purpose of the government bureaucrats is take every nickel we have.  The least they can do is make it as painless as possible.  As far as the toll collectors.  They can be reassigned to doing the road repairs that the tolls are allegedly being collected to fund. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline rbm

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »
We have the ETR407 (Electronic Toll Road) in Toronto.  Motorcycle's license plate is administratively tied to the automobile's transponder in the system.  So, when you drive through the gate (which is a large metal arch structure), video cameras record the license plate.  That image is matched to the record in the system and the trip is logged.  That avoids carrying around a transponder and also avoids the video charge.  If you don't have an automobile to tie in the motorcycle license plate, then you have to pay the video charge.

Scandinavia had the best.  Motorcycles didn't pay tolls, they got to park anywhere in the city for free, and got to use HOV lanes as well as lane share.  Heaven.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »
We have the ETR407 (Electronic Toll Road) in Toronto.  Motorcycle's license plate is administratively tied to the automobile's transponder in the system.  So, when you drive through the gate (which is a large metal arch structure), video cameras record the license plate.  That image is matched to the record in the system and the trip is logged.  .
Next stop—soma dispensers activated by smartphone. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline wmax351

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »
The no helmet thing is so weird to me, even on bicycles. It doesn't even have to be a full face helmet (you don't _really_ need your jaw or nose, it can sometimes be fixed too), a 3/4 is probably alright, it's certainly better than nothing.

There are tons of fatalities that literally occur at 0 MPH. Even more if you add in low speed. Falls in parking lots, at traffic lights. I've reviewed organ donation cases from 0 MPH helmetless motorcycle accidents. Simply put, a 5 foot unbroken fall with head impact on a hard surface can very easily be fatal, even in the absence of any predisposing conditions. The onset of problems afterwards can be insidious too, as a hematoma takes some time to form and press on the brain.

If you are wearing a helmet, 5 foot falls really don't cause death or serious head injury.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline Martin

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
In QLD police cars are slowly being fitted with number plate recognition cameras hooked to in car computers. The police can check to see if the car is registered, insured and the driver is not wanted on warrants. We no longer have to have registration stickers as in car computers can do a check. When I was working I used to work with a lot of police, and while talking about the in car computers he asked for my rego number of my car. I gave him the Bricks number instead, in less than a minute he gave me all the Bricks information. Model, colour, year and registration expiration date, as well as my address and driving history.
Regards Martin.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 05:46:04 PM »
Simply put, a 5 foot unbroken fall with head impact on a hard surface can very easily be fatal, even in the absence of any predisposing conditions.....
If you are wearing a helmet, 5 foot falls really don't cause death or serious head injury.

I can vouch for that.  A while back I parked my K against the left wall in my crowded garage.  As I tried to dismount awkwardly on the right, my leg got stuck on a package I had bungied on the seat.  I somehow rotated around and fell straight backwards towards the concrete floor.  I remember thinking "this is going to hurt" then my head hit hard........and bounced painlessly up.  Still had my helmet on.  Knew a girl while in CA on the back of a stopped bike that got gently rear ended, she fell off on her head and died 2 day later of a brain hemorrhage.  Very wary of being on bikes without a helmet.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 07:24:07 PM »
I remember thinking "this is going to hurt" then my head hit hard........and bounced painlessly up.  Still had my helmet on.

I hope you replace that helmet afterwards......
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline kris

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 11:17:33 PM »
We get hammered with high taxes on gasoline in Canada. And, like politicians and bureaucrats worldwide, our trusted elected officials tend to dip into the gas tax pot for all sorts of things other than road repair. Back in the '60s, Ontario's highways were apparently the finest in North America. Today, not so much. Ask anyone who drives the 400 series roads or the QEW.  The 401 is the busiest highway in North America, so they say. It is pounded 24 hours a day and exists in a pretty tough climate. And it is a rough ride...constantly under construction. And the 407 toll highway RBM mentioned? It was built by Ontario taxpayers to relieve Toronto area congestion. Then the bastards in our provincial capital decided government shouldn't be in the toll highway business so they sold the road for a song to some pretty happy pricks in Spain!! Now it's one of the most expensive toll roads in the world, or in the top 3. You can't make this shit up!! Did someone say RANT???!!

At the end of the day, gentlemen, I can't really complain about a damn thing. I feel so lucky just to be able to ride my 2-wheeled girlfriends wherever I want, whenever I want. There is always gasoline to buy and I can find any parts I need. Or even decide if I want to get yet another girlfriend. All in all, a pretty damn fortunate bunch we are...don't you think?
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2017, 11:59:27 PM »
Kris, I just did a loop of Huron and Superior and have to say that routes 69 and 17 were absolutely fantastic.  !7 was a ribbon of silky smooth asphalt all the way from Sudbury to the border at Grand Portage, MN.  69 was a bit funky in spots, but still better than 95% of the roads in the Bolshevik paradise of New York.  And the 401 and 403 from Sarnia to Burlington were pretty good as well.  You guys are still getting better roads than New Yorkers for your road taxes.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline stokester

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2017, 06:09:07 AM »

At the end of the day, gentlemen, I can't really complain about a damn thing. I feel so lucky just to be able to ride my 2-wheeled girlfriends wherever I want, whenever I want. There is always gasoline to buy and I can find any parts I need. Or even decide if I want to get yet another girlfriend. All in all, a pretty damn fortunate bunch we are...don't you think?

I could not agree more, my glass is half-full.

The prices for BMW parts is over-the-top in some cases and only just expensive in others but I can get them and keep my favorite motorcycles on the road and travel pretty much where I want without a concern for gas availability.  Add the great BMW riding community that supports older bikes and life is good.  :2thumbup:

[/size][size=78%]Ride on.  [/size] :curvy-road
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline CNRED

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
I've heard that the definition of a Hardley Ferguson is "a machine that converts gasoline into noise".

Converts gasoline into noise without the pesky side effect of performance or horsepower.
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • 1990 K75rt, 1992GSPD

Offline kris

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
Gryph, I missed your post.  No moss growing on you! What kind of miles did you rack up on that trip? Glad to hear the tarmac was good to you. It must have been a beautiful trip. Was that during the hot weather? Superior and Huron are gorgeous bodies of water. Hope you did some swimming along the way. We are very lucky to have the Great Lakes in our backyards.
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Tags: