Author Topic: Is a new Beemer (2016 F800R) a wise choice for a low mileage rider?  (Read 4496 times)

Offline atldinan3

• Curious
So I’m getting back into riding after taking several years off.  Based on my life circumstances, my riding will be along the “Sunday driver” style - i.e. An occasional jaunt around town, for only a few miles. I won’t be able to ride with any regularity, however, I like the idea of being able to sometimes enjoy a short ride.
[/color][/size]
[/color]Initially, I was planning to purchase a late-model K75 w/ ABS. That was the last bike I had (sold about 5 yrs ago), and it fit me very well - low, lightweight(ish), maneuverable(ish), very reliable, and even though it is 20+yrs old, it had innovative tech for its time. I particularly liked the fact that it has ABS. And they are very LOW MAINT. The bricks seem to go forever.  And at a great price point these days. (Preaching to the choir here, I suppose!)[/size]
[/color][/size]
[/color]Along the lines of innovative tech, however, my attention has been drawn to newer Beemers. I’m considering spending a bit more and going the new bike route, specifically for the advances in tech. Most specifically, for the ASC.  So I’m currently negotiating on a 2016 F800R.[/size]
[/color][/size]
[/color]Here is the concern: When I was talking to the folks at the dealership, they indicated that modern Beemers can be finicky if they aren’t ridden enough.  I think someone said “BMW wants owners to put at least 100 miles per week on the bike.”  Thats a problem, and it will likely never happen. I live in a small town, and my office is only 5 miles away from my house, so I sometimes don’t put 100 miles per week on my cage.  In fact, I only log about 12k yearly on my primary driver.  Again, my intent for having a bike is to take an occasional zip around town for an errand, or an infrequent loop through the country backroads on a nice Sunday afternoon.  [/size]
[/color][/size]
[/color]Realistically, I will put maybe 100 miles per month on the bike in nice weather.  In the wintertime, I doubt I’ll log 100 miles in an entire quarter.  The bike will spend most of its life sitting safely in the garage. I kept my 1994 K75 on a trickle charger, cranked it regularly, and once a month or so in the winter rode it up and down the cul-de-sac.  Never had a problem.  I’m becoming concerned, however, that this is a sub-optimal environment for a new Beemer.[/size]
[/color][/size]
[/color]The nice folks at the dealership somewhat dismissed the concern, stating “Oh don’t worry, once you have a bike again then you’ll probably ride it a lot more than you think!”  Incorrect. Its not realistic (or appropriate) to ask someone to change their lifestyle to meet the needs of the bike. Rather, I need to pick the right bike that meets the needs of my lifestyle. [/size]
[/color][/size]
[/color]So my question is:  Is mine an appropriate application for a new Beemer? A new bike with the latest tech sounds like a good idea from a safety perspective, especially for someone who doesn't keep their skills honed through regular riding.  However, it makes less sense if it results in a decrease in reliability. Especially considering the fact that the closest dealer is almost 50 miles away, so purchasing a bike that will require regular tweaks at the dealer will quickly become very cumbersome.[/size]
[/color][/size]
[/color]Thoughts?[/size]
[/color][/size]
[/color](Note: Please forgive my question indicating interest in a non-brick Beemer. I trust that this is an ok question for this generally helpful and friendly community.)[/size]

Offline Blue

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Is a new Beemer (2016 F800R) a wise choice for a low mileage rider?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
New BMW motorcycles have warranty issues.  For example BMW has stopped the import of the 2017 K1600 because they are unreliable. 

Four of my friends bought the R1200GT months before the shock recall. BMW bought all four back and gave them $4000 credit towards the R1200GS.

More modern BMW's on flatbed wreckers than Harley Davidson.  That is pathetic.
  • Stovepipe Wells CA
  • 1995 K1100RS

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:24:18 PM »
Technology...?

Many years ago when I was a service engineer for a technology company we had a saying:

"If it works it must be obsolete."
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline kris

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 08:12:55 AM »
It's your money but why would you purchase a new bike for toodling around town? Get a 500cc Japanese machine, used, and go from there. Reliable, cheap, predictable. I, personally, think it's a shame for a bike (or pet car) to sit in a garage when it's really in everyone's best interest to be on the road.  For the bit of riding you're going to do technology is not required. Keeping a sharp eye, reasonable speed and a safe distance from the next vehicle will serve you far better.

my two deutschmarks.....
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
To add a few more cents to the pot I would suggest something even smaller for the little bit of riding you say you'll be doing(approximately 1000 miles a year).

I would get a Japanese trail bike, about 250cc.  Buy it used and with the money you save get a set of tragkorbs to mount on it.  I would even go so far as to suggest that you look at tragkorbs first, and when you find a set that you like, buy a bike they will work on. 

Then put a set of bright LED driving lights on it and some good street tires.  A light dual purpose bike is easier to handle in close quarters, 250cc will get you arrested in most speed zones, and parts and service will be less expensive for a small bike.  If safety is a concern, a small bike will allow your budget to go for the best riding gear available as well.

As much as we would like to see you on a Beemer, these machines are designed to cover in less than one day the miles you might put on in a year.  The lack of use will probably only saddle you with maintenance issues.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
The low use issues would apply to about any bike regardless of the technology level.  Personally I'd take a look at the 650 V-Strom, Yamaha FJ-09 triple or one of many Triumphs for a nice mid size best bang for the buck bike.   When I was looking for a new bike nothing about the new BMW's appealed to me, and the closest elitist dealer being 80 miles away didn't help.   I bought a Ural sidecar rig and happily ride all year round now.  Life is short, try something different.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:23:57 AM »
I think your uses for a motorcycle would be well filled by a Suzuki TU250X. It was one of the main bikes used by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses in VT. It's durable, reliable and practical.

* Suzuki TU250X.png (158.85 kB . 533x329 - viewed 285 times)

Otherwise, a Piaggio MP3 would be a good scooter choice.

* Piaggio MP3.png (342.65 kB . 466x507 - viewed 292 times)
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:16:55 AM »
Yikes!  That Piaggio looks like a high speed Hoverround. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline milq

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »
I'd agree on the smaller Honda/Kawi/Yamaha/etc. There'd be a significant financial savings as well as the benefits of light weight and reliability.
If you like the dual sport thing, the Yamaha WR250R is very reliable, fuel injected, etc. but is tall. Honda has the CRF250 in the same market and is cheaper, but not as zippy.
 The Yamaha SR400 has that retro look to it and is reasonably priced new, I'm sure lightly used ones are out there as well.
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Tags: