Author Topic: It ran when it was parked… 27 years ago. Doh!!!  (Read 17637 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: It ran when it was parked… 27 years ago. Doh!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 06:15:43 AM »

Maybe I will bench test it, then again maybe not.  :dunno2:  Yes I know, the thought of not doing so is barbarian. 
Not testing the pump isn't barbarian to me. It just wouldn't be economical for me to buy a pump unnecessarily. You know your fuel sender circuit is powered but how do you know your fuel pump is powered? Did I overlook where you described how you determined that?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
Thanks Martin, all good thoughts which may be of use to someone down the road. :2thumbup: I actually did try soaking it in vinegar while in the tank for about a week and then in Goof Off for a couple days followed by putting it on a battery charger with the polarity both ways (several times). It made a nice buzzing sound and ripple effect in the Goof Off but wouldn't budge. :hehehe   So out of curiosity I took it apart and it took a vice grip to break the pump loose.  Not sure if it would have been functional or not at that point, but I made sure it wasn't in my ham-fisted effort's taking the pump apart.  :musicboohoo:  At any rate, now I have a bit more time to do some other projects while I wait for my feel pump to arrive.
  • Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 09:54:39 PM »

You know your fuel sender circuit is powered but how do you know your fuel pump is powered? Did I overlook where you described how you determined that?

No worries Laitch, you did not overlook where I described how I know my fuel pump is powered, as I didn't mention that specific detail.  I'm not the handiest using a multimeter, but with the help of some information on this site and my father in-law, when I tested the fuel sending unit wiring harness I also determined that their should be power going to the fuel pump. 
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
JB weld MarineWeld is my friend.   :2thumbup:  Got the radiator shroud mount back on (snapped off one side despite shooting with some WD 40 prior to removal).  No worries, though, as it was an easy fix and is now stronger than ever! :2thumbup:  As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of snapping them all off and then glueing them back together.   :hehehe
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »
Just a quick update: 

:2thumbup:
Still waiting on the fuel pump but it's confirmed to be on a plane bound for the USA.  Yeah!!!

:dunno2:
Happy to have received my new title but it indicates that the model/body type is an "RS", which it's definitely not, unless I have some sort of 3 cylinder special collectors item "RS" that I'm unaware of.  Should I be concerned??? 
 :yow
Lastly, decided to replace the grips with some new ones I just happened to have lying around from my old kz.  The original ones were loose and a bit crusty.  I've used hairspray in the past, but went with headliner glue this time as that's what I happened to have on hand.  Worked great, however, a note of caution, the glue set up super fast, requiring quite a bit of effort to slide the second grip on.  Don't ask me how I know this, but I'd suggest spraying the glue and placing the grips one at a time.  He he.
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
At long last, my new fuel sending unit and fuel pump have arrived and are installed in the tank.  And I'm happy to report that the bike starts, idles, and revs like a brand new bike!!!  I thought I'd have to send the fuel injectors out to be cleaned, but perhaps not, now that I see how well it runs.  Sort of amazing to me since it sat for so many years.

Some thoughts after my first test ride are that this machine runs and rides amazingly well.  Now I get why these bricks have such a loyal following!!!  I'm impressed by 1. The utter smoothness of the engine, which I've heard many describe as sewing machine smooth - and am happily attest to myself now, B, the transmission, which shifts as smooth as butter - making my 30 year old newer Victory Vegas seem like a clunky 18 wheeler transmission in comparison, not to mention, III, the suspension, which soaks up bumps so really well, even with rock hard old tires that have a tendency to follow grooves in the road.  And all that on a 30 year old base model BMW.  It just goes to show you how well these bikes were engineered and built in the first place.  Now on to the down side of things, lest you think I'm starting to sound like a commercial for used BMW motorcycles. After riding a belt driven cruiser for the last decade, this machine feels pretty darned tall and I find it easy to unsettle the bike from front to rear when going around corners and changing speeds due to the bikes suspension and shaft drive qualities.  Also, while the brakes appear to be working as intended, it definitely takes a good pull on the front lever in addition to the rear one in order to slow it down even from relatively slow city street speeds.  And lastly, while not really a fault of the bike itself, I find the peg position to be a bit tight for my liking. All in all, though, I could easily see this bike serving as an everyday commuter and weekend blaster for my particular comfort and tastes.

Next step before riding it much more is to get new tires on it and lube the rear splines.  :2thumbup:
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
Good to hear that you have it running. 

My bricks all feel stable in corners and have plenty of braking power   Tire pressure is really important on my bikes, a couple psi can make a big difference.   Have you replaced the fork oil yet?  Does the bike still have the original rear shock?  Have you considered replacing the brake pads?  I've had excellent results with kevlar/organic Volar pads from D2Moto, super cheap, but have worked great for me.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »

Good to hear that you have it running. 

My bricks all feel stable in corners and have plenty of braking power   Tire pressure is really important on my bikes, a couple psi can make a big difference.   Have you replaced the fork oil yet?  Does the bike still have the original rear shock?  Have you considered replacing the brake pads?  I've had excellent results with kevlar/organic Volar pads from D2Moto, super cheap, but have worked great for me.

It's pretty exciting to be able to do some test runs after a fair amount of work and expense dedicated to getting my "new" motorcycle running, so thanks for the positive thoughts.  Based on your comments and questions I can tell that you must really know a thing or two about these bikes.  :2thumbup:    While I still have some more work to do, I don't think this brick is fundamentally different than any other brick in terms of how it goes and stops.  It brakes fine with a little effort and is plenty stable in corners.  It will just take me a bit of getting used to given the taller suspension travel, shaft jacking effect, and seating position as compared to my other bike.  Kind of like when I take my wife's sporty little sedan out as compared to my SUV.  Now if I can just get used to the blinker controls (on the brick, not my wife's car, he he).  As for tire pressure, they have air but I'm probably not going to spend too much time fiddling with them as they are 30 years old, hard as a rock, and will be replaced soon (they're nicknamed bricks due to the engine, not the tires, right?).  But when I get new ones I'll definitely take your advice on getting the pressure dialed in to suit my preference.  The shock is stock which I'll leave for now, but I plan on trying out the firm and soft settings just to see how they differ for me.  Fork oil is old, of sufficient quantity, but will be replaced along with new seals at some point. Will update my thread as these updates occur.

It's been a fun project thus far. Thanks all.  :bmwsmile
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 11:31:31 AM »
Not exactly Tawny Kitaen on the hood of a Jaguar, but a pair of Tour Master Shinko's on the hood of a Camaro will do nicely for this guy. :2thumbup:
 :hehehe
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 09:19:30 PM »
After two weeks of having to use a little screwdriver to start my bike I finally received the replacement starter button I ordered from JGS for $15 including shipping.  Thanks again Laitch for the suggestion.  Since it was only the little green button that was broken I saved a ton going this route rather than replacing the entire switchgear.  The purchase came with one spring and three green buttons.  The quality is spot on and everything fits and functions as it should!!!   
 :2thumbup:

* IMG_0088.JPG (73.1 kB . 600x448 - viewed 468 times)

* IMG_0087.JPG (85.43 kB . 600x448 - viewed 431 times)
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Tags: