Author Topic: It ran when it was parked… 27 years ago. Doh!!!  (Read 17642 times)

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
It ran when it was parked… 27 years ago. Doh!!!
« on: June 09, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
As I mentioned in my introduction to the forum, I just purchased a 1986 K75C on Craigslist with 7021 miles on the clock that hasn't run in 27 years (tabs are from 1991).  All in all, though, it's really in very good shape as it was kept in a garage for 24 years and under a roof next to a shed for the last three.   Hopefully I'll be able to do a decent job of updating folks with my progress as I bring this Beamer back to life.   I'll do my best to share pictures, information, and give an idea what it costs to bring a machine like mine back to life.  Cheers and shiny side up!
  • Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: It ran when it was parked… 27 years ago. Doh!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »

All this has been said before with a brick that has been sitting Deoxit will become your best friend , clean all the connectors. And don't even consider starting it until you have replaced all the fuel lines and filter. The ones inside the tank must be rated for injection and be submersible. Clean out the fuel rail and soak the injectors in cleaner and back flush ( Plenty of info on You tube). Replace all other filters and fluids.
Good luck regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
Great prospects at just 7,000miles.,some of those oddo's were a little flackey.
Um,about the Guzzi,a tenuous connection to the steem age will always be missed once experienced.Oh well,all the best.

• Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 11:40:30 PM »
A bit of progress since I brought my "new" bike home.  It's easy, at least for me, to underestimate the cost and time involved in getting one of these low mileage unmolested barn finds back on the road.  But it's a fun hobby, both in the riding and in the wrenching.  Washed it real good and drained all the fluids (except for the gas tank) while waiting for a new key from the BMW dealership. You can still plainly see all of the green factory marks throughout the bike.  The oils looked brand new, to a point where I almost felt bad changing them.  As for the coolant, that's another story.  Lots of rusty little bits in the pink liquid. I flushed the radiator as best I could on a non running bike and hope that all will be OK once I get it started and run it a bit.  The air filter material looked brand new, but a new one will be going in as I managed to mangle the old one while taking it out.  First dumb mistake, won't be the last, as I didn't realize that the filter frame and element are attached as one piece rather than a more typical drop in filter element.  Got lots of parts and other stuff on order and will be chipping away as time allows and will update at my next stage of progress.
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
Welcome  :bmwsmile .  My bike was a similar situation, although fewer years (12+)...but now is fully functioning.  Mine had a mice problem and "chewed" wires.  You need to renew the fuel system from start to finish.  These people are your friends in regards to price of replacements.  Clean all electrical connections AND pay special attention to the grounds, it might be goodto upgrade this as well.  Is the motor free?  If so, everything is straightforward.  I put a little ATF in the cylinders prior to the first start.  Good luck!
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice Jack, I figured I'd check the spark plugs and squirt a little oil in each cylinder but hadn't thought to put ATF in them since the motor isn't stuck.  I read what you went through getting your bike back in shape and the helpful troubleshooting tips you received, which is an inspiration to me.  As for your questions, the motor is free, and I'm lucky in that the tires hold air (which makes it easier to move around until I get new ones) and the brakes work (albeit I'll have to flush the system with new fluid).  And thankfully, no mice damage that I've seen at this point in the resurrection. :2thumbup:
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
We use ATF in the bores for more detergent/additives.  If the brakes are somewhat operational, then the storage conditions weren't too harsh.  Flush thoroughly before very much use.  The gas tank will be a treasure chest in and of itself :hehehe .  Good luck
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
The good, the bad, and the ugly. 

A shout out to the parts department at Moon Motorsports of Monticello Minnesota who were able to order me a replacement key for my bike in record time - a mere 4 days to arrive at my home from the time I ordered it.  All I had to do was provide them proof of ownership, vin, and four digit number on the sticker on the ignition housing.  And I'm thankful to find out that the new key fits in the ignition, gas cap, fork lock, and seat.  :clap: Speaking of which, I feel bad for those instances in which people go the route of changing out the ignition rather than just obtaining a new key from BMW since it costs so much more money and trouble in the long run rather than simply sourcing the right key from BMW in the first place. :dunno

Unfortunately, upon opening the gas tank with my new key, I was greeted by what many others have experienced, about a gallon of nasty gas/turpentine and goo for fuel lines, gaskets and vibration damper.  Oh well, aside from the cost and hassle, it'll be good to replace all the gas tank parts with new, as it is really just routine maintenance that should be done sooner or later anyway.
 :mbird
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »
it seems the inside of the tank is painted white?
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...
Always something new to learn about riding and Kbikes...
"Viam inveniam aut faciam"

Offline K1300S

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »
for reference, here is pic of the tank of  neglected K75s i just bought a couple weeks ago.  yup.  you win, way worse!!!  :-)

all that stuff in the tank is fairly easy to replace though.

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline BrickMW

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
Fill your tank with vinegar (at least up past the scum line) and let it sit for at least a week or so before you take the fuel sender out. It helps a lot!

Drain the old poison out first, of coarse... :2thumbup:
  • Huntsville, AL
  • 1986 K75c
Luft & Jager... My two favorite Meister's :bmwsmile

Offline rbm

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
it seems the inside of the tank is painted white?
That's a trick of the lighting.  The tank interior looks to be natural aluminum.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
Good tip about the vinegar.   :2thumbup:  Wasn't sure what to soak it with.  Better to let an agent do the work while I wait for replacement parts rather than scrubbing by hand.  At least these tanks are aluminum. :yes  My old Yamaha Radian sat for only a couple of years and the steel tank started to rust and rot through at the seams.  I can't imagine what it would have looked like after three decade. :mbird   But in this case, aside from the crud, this tank looks practically brand new. :clap:
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
+1 on the vinegar, I used it on my tank and the results were brilliant!

I would check if the pump runs before replacing it, you might be lucky, if you do have to there are some cheap replacements available on Amazon for a fraction of the OEM price..  The hoses and filter replace for sure.
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 07:15:38 PM »
Actually, their is some white paint overspray in the tank.  The same is the case on the frame underneath the tank.    While I believe this to be the original color I guess I'm not 100 % sure.
 :dunno
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi
Winner Winner x 1 View List

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:01 PM »
So,...I used acetone to clean my tank (upon advice from a reputable dealer), 50/50 with water.  It takes about 3 hrs. and 5 flush times.  No scrubbing or excessive labor, just protect your skin :eek: .  Mix it in, shake it around, and blast it out with pressured water.  The goo from the rubber is a little more difficult.  Watch for imperfections on the seams indicating oxidation holes and possible future leaks.
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 01:24:40 PM »
While my tank is soaking in vinegar, I thought I would post an update on my progress and costs to date.  For anyone thinking of reviving one of these old bikes that has been sitting for a while, this itemized list may give you an idea as to what you may have in store (it's certainly has been educational for me as this is my first BMW):
  :bmwsmile

NOTE:  UPDATED LIST OF ALL COSTS from spring of 2017 to time of sale spring of 2019 (not including my time, yearly plate tabs and motorcycle insurance)

State of Minnesota

$107 title transfer, plate, and tabs

Moon Motorsports

$50 replacement BMW folding key (included key blank, cut for my bike, and shipped)
Walmart

$54 YTX20HL-BS High Performance - Maintenance Free - Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery

$23 Mobil 1 15W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5 quarts

$11 Super Tech 75W-90 Syn-Blend Gear Oil, 2quarts

$8 STEELMAN 06120 Oil Filter Cap Wrench 14 Flute x 76mm

$5 Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus, 10 oz

$5 Goof Off Pro (worked really well getting the rubber goo off from tank parts and fuel pump)

$12 Prestone Dexcool (supposedly compatible with the pink European coolant that was in my bike - per a Popular Mechanics article)

$0 distilled water from dehumidifier bucket.

$8 White Vinegar 3 gallons

Euro Motoelectrics

$57 52mm Rubber Vibration Damper - BMW K & Ducati;16 12 1 4628,16 12 1 450 712/ EnDuraLast

$16 52mm Fuel Pump Screen - BMW K;16 12 1 455 126/ EnDuraLast

$5 Fuel Level Float Oring - BMW K ;62 16 1 459 608/ BMW

$14 Crankcase Breather Vent Hose - BMW K ;11 15 1 460 480/ BMW

$5 Submersible Fuel Hose - Fuel Return Line - BMW K ;16 13 1 455 350 / BMW

$199.00 OUCH yawl  Fuel Level Float Petrol Gauge BMW K Models 1982-99;62161459565, FLF-565

Amazon

$7 J-B Weld 8272 MarineWeld Marine Epoxy - 2 oz. (broke one of the tabs off of the radiator shroud, but this stuff glued it back on better than new)

$15 4 BMW Genuine OEM Wheel Center Caps Emblem Sticker 70 mm (not exact size for tank badges but they look very nice.

$27 Mahle air filter LX 75

$6 Wix fuel filter 33032

$6 Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter

$18 Gates 27093 fuel hose 1 foot

$15 for replacement green starter button from hardtoptire.com (note, takes appx. 15 days for delivery)

$133 Shinko Tour Master tires from Revzilla (arrived in two days)

$54 to have the new tires mounted on rims off the bike at Norms Tires in Roseville, Mn (did a great job while I waited at a reasonable price, but if you want them balanced with new stems you'll likely have to go to a Beemer dealer or motorcycle shop).

Grand Total (thus far): $850 :yow

Which seems like a chunk of change, but really not too bad considering I revived a cool low mileage old bike in exceptional condition that runs and rides excellent now!

Stay tuned for my next post as I am fairly certain I am close to firing it up.  Just cross your fingers that the fuel pump is functional.  :2thumbup:
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline BrickMW

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »
Have you bench tested your pump?
Also, don't forget about the air/vacuum hoses. Especially the crankcase "z" hose and air box to throttle body hose. Mine looked fine on the top but were badly cracked on the underside.
Assuming you will have the air box out to replace the lines to the pressure regulator, that is the best opportunity to get those others as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Huntsville, AL
  • 1986 K75c

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »
All good thoughts.  Will be replacing the crankcase breather hose as it clearly has cracks in it.  The others are fine for now.  Just bled the brakes yesterday.  I tested the fuel sending unit and the low fuel light function works. The way I will "bench test" the fuel pump is my starting the bike and seeing if/how it works in the bike. :dunno2:   It's not like it's too hard to get to if it needs to be replaced.  Looks like your bike had some pretty crusty parts- tank damper looks about like mine.
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
I tested the fuel sending unit and the low fuel light function works. The way I will "bench test" the fuel pump is my starting the bike and seeing if/how it works in the bike.
Come on now, Christopher. You've got to have it on a workbench to bench test it. The language can only take so much corruption before all meaning is lost and we return to grunting and signing like in Quest for Fire. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline BrickMW

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
That was after a 4 yr hibernation.... my pump was completely seized.
I took it apart, cleaned it, and got it to run again, but after seeing the corrosion inside, I would never trust it so I put a new one in and that one for backup.
If your sender still works you're ahead of me though, so maybe that's good news for your pump..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Huntsville, AL
  • 1986 K75c

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
Maybe I will bench test it, then again maybe not.  :dunno2:  Yes I know, the thought of not doing so is barbarian.  Will just have to see how the timing goes and how everything comes together.  I'm just so eager to see if and how it runs at this point.  The fuel pump is sitting in a bucket of old nasty fuel on my work bench if that counts. :dunno2:   Speaking of old nasty fuel, I think that may have been somewhat of a saving grace, as their was about 2 gallons of gas in the tank and I don't think gas had as much or perhaps any ethanol in 1991.
 :euro
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »
Tank came out sparkly clean after a week of soaking with 3 gallons of white vinegar.  Just required a bit of scrubbing by hand everywhere I could reach and the varnish came right off.  I'll feel much better running it this way. :2thumbup:
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »
Quick update: the good news is that it runs, which I am so excited about, but the bad news is that in order to make it run requires spraying starting fluid continuously into the breather hose inlet (outlet???).  As long as I'm spraying it runs fine but when I quit it stops. Definitely needs a new fuel pump as I do not hear anything from the pump when I hit the starter and the motor clearly is not getting fuel. While I wait for my new fuel pump to arrive which I ordered from Aliexpress.com, (it will take 10 to 15 days so since it is on a slow boat from China) I'll be keeping busy with some other projects such as painting the couple of nicks in the finish, maybe sanding and painting the muffler guard with some BBQ paint, replacing the roundels, and perhaps replacing the tachometer LCD display as it seems to be blown out (bummer).  Stay tuned...
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Martin

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 02:53:20 AM »

To give you something to do. Old pumps can sometimes be resurrected if they are just jammed. Soak in vinegar for a week or two then try attaching to a 12v power source. Apply power briefly then reverse the polarity switch back and forth, this will sometimes unjam the pump. If the pump shows signs of wanting to move you may be able to free it up just by powering it up and switching polarity briefly, without the hassle of soaking.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Tags: