Author Topic: Pure Michigan  (Read 3794 times)

Offline MIbrick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Pure Michigan
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
Saturday, 3 JUN 17: While trying to think of someplace neat to ride, it occurred to me I hadn't been out to Grindstone City since my parents took us there as children.  Turns out Grindstone City really isn't even a City these days. But, parts of it remain, including the Grindstone General Store which has been in continuous operation since 1880.  Here's a small grindstone they have on display outside their location:

Unfortunately, the General Store only sells ice cream, not lunch.  I swung over to Captain Morgan's Grindstone Bar to see what they had on the menu.  Thought it was kind of neat they had an ABATE sign out front.  There were two other motorcycle patrons there, one on a Triumph Bonneville and one on a Speedmaster.

This guy will give you an idea of the over-all service level:

The Black and Blue burger was pretty tasty.  Be warned, it's 8 ounces of beef, so it's kind of heavy.  After lunch I headed back west on M-25, along the northern shoreline of The Thumb. Winds off the Saginaw Bay were challenging, and I wound up as part of a group ride just east of Bay City (now there's something I don't need to experience again).  Overall, a good day.  Unless you were an insect:

Here's a link to the ride on Rever.

• Michigan
  • 1986 K100RS (ohne Tragkorb)

Offline MIbrick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Pure Michigan
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »
Sunday 4 JUN 17: After getting my daily "Honey Do" chores out of the way, I was given the opportunity of going up to the club to hang out by the pool all afternoon. I opted to go for a ride instead. Having done the south shore of Saginaw Bay yesterday, I figured I'd close out the weekend with a trip along the north shore. I haven't been to Tawas in a couple of years, and there's a nice, curvy little road between Pinconning and the east side of Omer. US-23 from Omer up to Tawas isn't half-bad either. So...no pool today!

Unfortunately, about the time I rolled in to Tawas City, the clouds opened up and dumped a little rainstorm on me. It was highly coincidental, I'm sure, that "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR started just as the first drops hit.  The Universe has a sense of humor. I took refuge at a grocery store, grabbed an iced tea and some Combos and watched the rain roll through.  It doesn't look like it's more than a sprinkle in this picture, but look at that woman in the background, mid-gallop. It came down harder about five minutes later, then after about another five or ten minutes just stopped altogether.  The pavement was so hot, the moisture was rising off it like fog. That was quite a trip to ride through.

Once the rain let up, I figured it was time to head back south. First I stopped a the City Park for a quick shot, though.  You can see the storm has moved out over the Bay.

Here's a link to the ride on Rever.
  • Michigan
  • 1986 K100RS (ohne Tragkorb)

Offline kmev

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Pure Michigan
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »
Looks like a fun ride. That Rever app looks interesting. I'll try it on an upcoming trip I have - might be a fun way of tracking and sharing the ride.
  • Madison, Wisconsin
  • 1994 K75s

Tags: