Author Topic: My K kissed a deer tonight  (Read 7871 times)

Offline jj4hm

• Motobrick Curious
My K kissed a deer tonight
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:12:19 AM »
There I was, cruising along happily on my K on a nice rural Minnesota highway, thinking about the the great ride I had just had with a good friend to get some ice cream.  The official sunset time had been about 15-20 minutes earlier, so it was dark enough to reduce visibility, but too light for the headlight to do anything useful.  As I traveled southbound, a decent sized doe traveling westbound jumped up out of the ditch to cross in front of me.  I got into the ABS and shed some speed but still hit one of the doe's back legs with my front wheel.  We both continued on our respective paths and I found no damage when I got home a few minutes later.   It certainly could have been much worse for both of us.  I've always been fairly cautious at sunrise or sunset but this just confirms that you never know when something will appear out of nowhere.  Ride safe everyone.
  • Minnesota
  • 1991 K100 RS 2004 K1200LT

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: My K kissed a deer tonight
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »
You're luckier than I was 12 years ago.  It was mid afternoon, about 50 mph, I remember seeing a deer, then sliding on the tarmac watching the bike slide to the other side, bits flying off.  Deer got away.  No idea if I hit it, it hit me, or I just dumped the bike.  Yeah, deer and idiots on cell phones are both right up there. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 06:56:59 AM »
In the battle of impact, you've got to be muscular to survive the crepuscular.  :clap:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
There I was, cruising along happily on my K on a nice rural Minnesota highway, thinking about the the great ride I had just had with a good friend to get some ice cream.
When I ride, I just watch the surroundings, listen to the engine and appreciate the various aromas—some of them anyway—until I get to a town where I can slow up, casually glance sideways at the reflection of me in a storefront window rolling along in all my rugged gear then I start thinking, Gawd! I'm so feckin haut!
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline MIbrick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »
When I ride, I just watch the surroundings, listen to the engine and appreciate the various aromas—some of them anyway—until I get to a town where I can slow up, casually glance sideways at the reflection of me in a storefront window rolling along in all my rugged gear then I start thinking, Gawd! I'm so feckin haut!

Heck, most rides I don't even get out of the driveway. I just sit there, posted up next to my Jeep, staring at my reflection in the paint.  If I leave it on the center stand, I can do about an hour. The factory seat isn't really designed for comfort, though.
  • Michigan
  • 1986 K100RS (ohne Tragkorb)

Offline jaxon

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:41:32 AM »
...casually glance sideways at the reflection of me in a storefront window rolling along in all my rugged gear then I start thinking, Gawd! I'm so feckin haut!

That alone is worth it. :hehehe
  • Indiana
  • '92 K75S, '17 R1200GS LC
--
This space for rent

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 08:43:56 AM »
It's good to know that you and the bike survived without a scratch.  Ten mph under at night, high power LED driving lights, a constant focus on the roadside and a massive dose of luck has kept me away from the deer for the past 30 years. 

It puzzles me why no one has sued one of these land owners who actually encourage deer herds on their property.  Around here there are people with big money who have bought up farmland, converted corn fields to pastures with browse, and then posted it all against hunters. 

I ride past several of these "Manors" at night and the deer herds I see in the dark just off the side of the road where I've seen roadkill in the daylight scare the crap out of me.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
. . . the deer herds I see in the dark just off the side of the road where I've seen roadkill in the daylight scare the crap out of me.
That's better than being plagued by chronic constipation.  :2thumbup:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
That's better than being plagued by chronic constipation.  :2thumbup:

You have my sincerest condolences...  Have you considered a high fiber diet?
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
You have my sincerest condolences...  Have you considered a high fiber diet?
I've been fine every since I started riding around staring at deer yards.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
Works everytime...
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
Strangely, I read yards of beer ... beer yards.
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline alabrew

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 12:39:19 PM »
I hit one last Thanksgiving on my '05 K12LT about 2 miles from the house. Happened so fast. I saw its head at the left mirror and it sideswiped the bike. I just rode on home with the headlight dangling. Wacked up the front and left side fairings and saddlebag (found deer sh*t inside!). Slowly putting it back together along with a full service, would be quicker but I have three others to ride so it isn't such a priority.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline jj4hm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »
I'm always looking at bikes, but that's to add to the garage, not replace the one I have.  This K thing is addictiv!.  I've thought about something like a K1200LT to carry my kids,since they love the big comfy back seat of a Gold Wing or Electra Glide.  I'm glad you have a stable to choose from.
  • Minnesota
  • 1991 K100 RS 2004 K1200LT

Offline jaxon

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
People in my neck of the woods feed them. They are running around giving birth in people's backyards. I live in a suburb smack in the middle of Bloomington, IN.

I feel like the daisy BB gun from a strategic location (thru a dog door) would fix it. Maybe a one pump to surprise them. Maybe imprint a memory they'll get tagged by a old paratrooper who qualified expert on the M-16 and M-60.

My huge husky just doesn't seem interested in chasing them off. The old husky I recently lost to old age, in her heyday would have opened a can of whoopass on them. She had a huge prey drive.

This is my backyard of the new house. It looks wooded because the ole lady is lazy and hadn't cut the grass yet.

Women see Bambi and feed them. The population around here is fuk'n ridiculous. The city is scratching their heads about what to do. I say "Stop feeding them."
  • Indiana
  • '92 K75S, '17 R1200GS LC
--
This space for rent

Offline herseyb

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »
That's an eater right there.  I'd be getting a crossbow through that dog door...  Delivery service, basically...
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 10:48:09 PM »
That's an eater right there.  I'd be getting a crossbow through that dog door...  Delivery service, basically...

You're reading my mind right down to the crossbow.  I would use the kitchen window(no dog door).  Shame you can't take them during barbecue season.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 12:19:47 AM »

Believe it or not to add to the problem of Roos, Emus, Wombats, Cassowaries, Crocs and Sharks in cyclone season we have deer in sunny Queensland. Some idiot imported them and set them free, probably just to make riding a bit more exciting.  :dunno :hehehe
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline milq

My K kissed a deer tonight
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 01:36:50 AM »
I nearly tagged 2 on Wednesday at around 1600 hrs. I ended up with bits of mud splattered on my right hand and the windscreen from Bambi's hooves when he executed a high speed directional change while already in front of me.
Today, another one nearly jumped out in front of me at around 1900, which is more when I expect such things.
The local farming has kept them stirred up at all hours.

Haven't hunted in a few years, looks like I'll be applying for some archery permits this year as well as handgun if they open the late season firearm application again like last year.
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline MIbrick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 07:57:25 AM »
You're reading my mind right down to the crossbow.  I would use the kitchen window(no dog door).  Shame you can't take them during barbecue season.

Probably won't work for deer, but I picked up this 80# crossbow pistol from Amazon last year to deal with the zombie squirrel and chipmunk invasion going on in my back yard. Turns out it works pretty good for acquiring rabbit stew fixings, too.  :lets-eat:
  • Michigan
  • 1986 K100RS (ohne Tragkorb)

Tags: