Author Topic: US 129, AKA The Dragon  (Read 6320 times)

Offline jay1622

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
US 129, AKA The Dragon
« on: April 28, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »
This was, hands-down, the least amount of traffic I'd ever seen out here, and it made for a great ride. It was the day after Easter Sunday, coupled by heavy thunderstorms forecasted throughout the week and scheduled road construction. In the end, it only rained twice that day, and the road maintenance didn't start until the following day. The bike performed flawlessly; however, I made the mistake of leaving poor quality gear oil (from the initial rebuild) in the gearbox, and I had to shut my riding down due to my gearbox starting to act up. Still, I managed to go up and down 5 times, which gave me over three-thousand reasons (curves) to be passed-out by 6:30 that night. I've since replaced the oil with some USA made SAF-XO, and it is butter smooth once again. I do wish my garage partner would have been with me, but he's already on to bigger and brighter things. We started this when he was twelve, and still had his squeaky child voice. Now, he's got this caterpillar growing over his lip, his voice has changed and girls are knocking on my front door. I remember the day we brought it home... I told him one of these days it would conquer The Dragon; that would be our sign we were officially done. And conquer it She did.
  • Charlotte
  • Previous: 1986 K75S, 1977 R75/7, 1999 R1200C, 2003 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS, 2005 R1200RT... Current: 2005 R1200RT and my Brick, a 1988 K75S

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: US 129, AKA The Dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »
Wow, your bike came out nice!

When is your assistant doing the Dragon?  I would think the bike isn't really done until he does it.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline jay1622

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »
Wow, your bike came out nice!

When is your assistant doing the Dragon?  I would think the bike isn't really done until he does it.

That's the weird part; he has zero interest in riding. For him, as far as he's concerned, he devoured all the organizational and mechanical knowledge there was to be had, and has since gone on to other things. About two years ago, I mentioned in a post he was interested in nuclear propulsion. He was only 13yo at the time. We've followed a steady path, and he's currently taking Intro to Engineering in high school, and he's teaching himself java programming here at the house. It's damn humbling when your child comes to you, asking you questions, and the educational/intellectual level of his questions surpass your level of knowledge/expertise. I don't mind sharing this with strangers: He's got a learning disability... Nothing sinks-in if it's read or told, but if he does it, then it never leaves him. I've always known he was a kinetic learner, but he's totally got me stumped. As far as I'm concerned, he's perfectly fine. I know kinetic instruction is the most expensive type, but our education system needs to learn to recognize there's some serious talent out there that's not being tapped by traditional learning (visual and auditory based). Sorry, I got off point.  :dunno

• Charlotte
  • Previous: 1986 K75S, 1977 R75/7, 1999 R1200C, 2003 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS, 2005 R1200RT... Current: 2005 R1200RT and my Brick, a 1988 K75S

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 12:25:46 PM »
I hear you about the lack of Kinetic Education.  I hope you can hook him up with the resources to make it happen.  It is a shame that the educational establishment doesn't recognize the needs of these kids.  It is criminal that these kids are diagnosed as being ADHD and drugged into submission.

Our youngest had a measured IQ of over 180, but was constantly in trouble at school, finally dropping out in her junior year of High School.   Today she is working her way up the hierarchy of Walmart, Managing a Superstore while writing and performing music with her husband.  Does your son have an interest and talent for playing a musical instrument?  Several kids I know with this problem(?) are very talented in this area.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
My stepson has Asberger`s syndrome which leads to very similar results.  Patience, repetition  and demonstration are the only way he learns.  Sadly Costa Rica is very ill equipped to help kids like him so we are thinking of relocating to Spain which has one of the best support systems out there - not bad for touring on and old K either so I have heard!

Meanwhile he and I are working towards his first ride on the bike, my main concern is that when he gets over excited he wiggles and shakes like a cat on a hot tin roof - not something I am mad keen to have happen on the bike of my K!

• San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 03:31:22 PM »
my main concern is that when he gets over excited he wiggles and shakes like a cat on a hot tin roof - not something I am mad keen to have happen on the bike of my K!
Same one that crashed the Suzuki?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 04:58:05 PM »
Nooo the one that crashed the Suzuki has not been diagnosed with any issues - unless lazy ungrateful bum counts as an issue nowadays (who knows it might!)

I am blessed (?!?!) with three sons, 14, 17 (he is my step son) and 20.

The 20 year old crashed the Suzuki, the 17 year old has Asberger`s and the 14 year old - well not sure about him yet but the line - Help me Obi Wan Kinobi you are my only hope - springs to mind!

They are all great and all challenging in their different ways and joking aside I am nuts about all of them

• San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Hilltopper46

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 08:48:17 AM »
... Still, I managed to go up and down 5 times, which gave me over three-thousand reasons (curves) to be passed-out by 6:30 that night....

Jeepers! I rode it both ways in one day and thought I had enough.   Although, I did sleep in Alpharetta, GA that night. Can't remember exactly where I was the night before but we did about 40 miles on the BRP that morning plus the tour of the motorcycle museum at Maggie Valley.

Thanks for the memories.
  • East Troy, WI
  • 1995 K1100LT
Current bike - 1995 K1100LT - It RUNS!. You says Plum, DMV says Purple, BMW says Navana Violet.

Previously: 1982 XJ650 Yamaha, 1987 GoldWing, 1995 GoldWing, 2001 FLSTC, 2003 Goldwing

Tags: