Author Topic: USA Coast to coast  (Read 5488 times)

Offline koapono

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
USA Coast to coast
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
Greetings all, 
This will be a report from the road with updates as I ride across USA and return. I am riding my 94 K1100LT.
I left my domicile this morning, just south of Richmond, VA heading for Knoxville, TN a ride of approximately 470 miles.
My spouse flew to LA, CA yesterday to visit daughter and grand-daughter and we will all meet in Los Olivos, CA on Apr 27th.
I will zip across USA on I-40 with no sight-seeing or meandering on the way, that will be reserved for the ride home.
After a week in Los Olivos my spouse and I will ride north to Olympic Nat'l Park in Washington state and spend several days there.
My spouse will fly back to Virginia on 12 May, I will point my scoot east and plan to ride home on secondary roads avoiding all Interstates.
The ride thus far was horrible! Rain, rain and more rain accompanied by gusting winds and crummy visibility. The inclement weather added nearly 2 hours to the ride but all went well. I was properly attired and remained warm and dry for duration of ride.
I only took one picture today because weather was not the best for picture taking.
I always travel with a motorcycle  cover, it's worth the hassle on days like today.
so picture #1 is the end of day 1 from the hotel parking lot in Knoxville, TN.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: USA Coast to coast
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »
Sounds like a great trip...other than the rain :eek: .  Safe travels :bmwsmile .
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »

:2thumbup: Awesome trip, ride safe and have fun.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline milq

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:51:34 AM »
I think you'll enjoy some better weather today!
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline Retread

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »
Nice way to start a trip...be safe!
  • Enterprise, Alabama (Lower Alabama...LA)
  • 2013 GSA, 1985 K100RS

Offline koapono

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 08:37:31 AM »
An update:
Days 1 and 2 were soakers! Precipitation of some sort all day long mostly a steady rain that required use of wet-weather gear, there were periods of light drizzle and mist and the occasional deluge. I was able to maintain posted speed limits for the most part as traffic was light and I pretty much had the road to myself except for the trucks. They seem to gather and run in packs and riding through the spray and splash they generated had me thinking I was in the rinse cycle of a commercial-duty dish washer.
I am riding on brand new Michelin Pilot Road tires, PR3 up front and PR4 on the rear. These are proving too be excellent wet roads tires, they shed water, track straight and maintained traction. Couldn't ask for more.
Days 3 through 5 had me thinking I was in the NASA-Langley wind tunnel facility. Sustained winds of 20 knots with gusts to 35/40. I experienced a form of this all the way across OK, TX, NM and AZ. The wind does blow across the plains! The weather was otherwise pleasant, moderate temps, nice sunny sky with wispy clouds. Other than the wind it would have been perfect riding conditions.
I am 200 miles from my destination and will be there by lunch time today. Park the scoot and pick up a rental car as I will not be allowed to haul grand-daughter (15 months old) around in the top-case of the LT.
Picture is the LT dressed for inclement weather. The multivaro tank bag with rain-cover and shower cap for my TomTom GPS.
Also a pic in some nicer weather along Route 66 somewhere in AZ.
Crossing the Mojave, never pass a chance to purchase petrol and water. It's an inhospitable place.
If you have to cross the USA I-40 isn't a bad choice. The ride through TN is very nice. There are no major metropolis cities and the cities you do pass through lack the congestion of other major US cities. The trek across the plains isn't as mind numbing as KS and NB (no offense to fellow K-owners from those locales) though the ride across Mojave does seem endless.
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
I'm envious...

After playing that tune hundreds of times over the years, getting my kicks on Route 66 is definitely on my Motobrick Bucket List.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
I love road trips,keep it coming. :popcorm
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline koapono

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
I have arrived my first destination, Los Olivos, CA.
Parking the scoot and switching to a rental car.
Rest of the gang (spouse, daughter, grand-daughter and son-in-law) arrive later today.
We will spend a week here in a rental property.
Had a great ride on CA 166 running west from Bakersfiled to CA 101. Nice two-lane winding up, over and around some sierra foothills and canyons. No one to slow me down so it was a sweet ride!
snap-shot from my GPS shows trip stats since I left. The date is confusing as I actually left on 22 Apr, the 20th is when I programmed GPS and set initial waypoint as a destination.
Not a bad ride considering the weather.
pictures:
GPS ride stats
Lovely day on CA166
Hitchin' post II, had to stop for a glass of Pinot! Movie "Side-Ways" filmed some scenes here.
the wind never stopped! Ave of Flags in Buellton, CA.
While viewing the hitching' post photo, if you look over my left mirror and across the street you'll see the gold helmet of a CHP officer astride his R1200RT-P, shooting on-coming traffic with his RADAR. We had a short chat, said he loved his beemer!
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 09:15:30 AM »
greetings...

needs more photos...

:popcorm

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline jay1622

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »
Reading over your thread... Glad to see you arrived safe, and that you are enjoying the trip. Enjoy the miles!  :riding:
  • Charlotte
  • Previous: 1986 K75S, 1977 R75/7, 1999 R1200C, 2003 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS, 2005 R1200RT... Current: 2005 R1200RT and my Brick, a 1988 K75S

Tags: