Author Topic: Arktasian's 95 K75 on Microsquirt Mod Table  (Read 51727 times)

Offline Arktasian

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Arktasian's 95 K75 on Microsquirt Mod Table
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
I've come here to contribute technical information and properly laid out documentation for projects I have underway on a 1995 K75, initially a right hand side stand conversion, and followed with the MicroSquirt upgrade that I do on bikes, which will include turbocharging, and other neat upgrades within a pretty standard package exterior (not really a café type although there are some really nice examples here). Could be a DIY format depending on interest.

An edit added:
  • Abbotsford

Offline Arktasian

Re: 95 K75 on Mod Table
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
Perhaps a photo of said bike, she's rather clean and pleases everyone I've shown it to.
Learning the in's and out's of a particular forum always fun, I'll see if this posts with the photo.
  • Abbotsford

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »
OK - that worked out fine.
I'll just put up the photos and print for the side stand mod now and then excuse myself to continue with family endeavors and the well deserved weekend.
The stock side stand was removed for the following reasons:
  • Perhaps unfair to prematurely judge, but the first thing I noted on acquiring this bike (first K for me) was that the two stands seemed to become entangled with each other for the first third of deployment unless you held your mouth in exactly the right attitude.
  • I've witnessed the start up smoke that I'm informed develops from oil migration down the cylinders due to the rather generous inclined angle to the left - figured leaning to the right would be the obvious solution there.
Following are a print of a simple flat bar that once fashioned fits "piggyback fashion" up against the stock center stand. I have the bike hanging on the workshop table at this time so won't test the lean angle till later - but I already believe my math let me down a touch and I'll increase the tab bend up to 35 degrees (from 25). A bit of grinding is required on a couple of steps which I can add if this post doesn't serve to scare off any response or interest (I find once a technical write up or document is offered that has frequently been the case on other projects, but we'll see)
NOTE: Print disappeared so I've tacked it back onto a later post.
  • Abbotsford
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:00:30 PM »
I'll take one once you've perfected it. Good idea!  :clap:

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
OK - that worked out fine.
I'll just put up the photos and print for the side stand mod now and then excuse myself to continue with family endeavors and the well deserved weekend.
When you return, please post a photo from the front or the rear of the bike that clearly shows the lean angle developed by your RHS side stand. I haven't had a problem yet deploying or retracting the side stand and center stand with either a grimace or smile.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
OH YEA!  this is very cool.  I'll stand in line for one also.  In the event you plan on producing a few.   :2thumbup:
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 10:25:50 PM »
I always thought they should have designed the engine with the crank on the left.  Silly Germans.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Martin

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 10:34:33 PM »

Good solution would make a lot of sense in OZ. I had to seek another parking spot the other day due to the camber.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 11:02:17 PM »
I haven't had a problem yet deploying or retracting the side stand and center stand with either a grimace or smile.

No problem deploying or retracting here either.
I know you're suppose to mount and dismount a horse from its left, but with this engine side stand placement just doesn't make sense.
I left a car show once after parking on the side stand for an hour.
Pissed a bunch of lowriders off, glad I knew a few of them from work!

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 11:17:12 PM »
Good solution would make a lot of sense in OZ.
+1 . . . depending on the lean angle.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 11:39:42 PM »

Down hill with a big camber, don't even try. Have seen a few bikes succumb to gravity, gravity always wins in the end. :yow
Regards Martin.

Offline Martin

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 01:33:42 AM »

Exactly like that, except imagine if you had to do it going the other way in the left lane.  :falldown:
Regards Martin.

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »
Exactly like that, except imagine if you had to do it going the other way in the left lane.  :falldown:
Regards Martin.
I had that outside a restaurant last year. Had about 10 kilo (22 pounds) in the top-kitchen. It was pole vauting on the side stand.
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
Refreshingly polite responses here (perhaps I should divulge the full Monty on what is slated for the little K75 :hide: )

Regardless, at the heart of my stand mod is that you can establish what ever "lean angle" you wish for with the tab angle that is bent on the bracket. The stock cast tab off the left side of these bikes appears to have 35 degrees from level, which I suspect I may utilize from the current 25 I'd calculated on the other side as it is pretty much a mirror image transfer of dimensions and locations. I'll document all that once the bike can actually come off its hangers and table, and sit on the right side - from current angle to what 35 and other might look like. The spring action is crisp to avoid the stand flopping down, or releasing up when you sit on her. Not sure it shows in the photos well but I milled the center out a tad to reduce weight, and it is rather overly strong. The little bushing actually resembles a bearing race with grease grove and is a precise operation fit to the common 5/8"dia hole size.

• Abbotsford

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
Question, what controls the "curious" comment below my handle? (yes, I'm curious but also other things).

I'd like to offer the game plan for this bike, the post is labeled "On the Mod Table" after-all. I've purposefully come to this club for the expressed hope and interest of exchanging information and knowledge on certain very specific "K" mods that I note a few others have been working with and where there does not appear to be a huge reaction to "significant" upgrades, nor angst over the corruption of the pure & perfect stock form bikes.
Depending on reception, I can offer photos, and "Lots" of technical discussion. (one of my bads, I type fast and default to much too long emails etc. :blah: )
The pathway:
  • Finish cleaning up bike, had tranny out to deal with an uber loose grub screw and inspect clutch - appears brand new but stock. She was parked for a few years so there are some cobwebs and polishing to deal out. (the grub screw - might I just say what a pig in the poke design that is, hope I"m not offending anyone or the original designer)
  • I am a Megasquirt/ Microsquirt enthusiast, and have been running an 83 R100RT on MS for about 5 years now (I can comment about it but not being a K not sure on protocol. It is set to test out on a "twin turbo" format this season so now you know how far off the map I'm located).
  • I figured I'd piggy back an MS ecu onto the bike while operating, along with some additional sensors and such in order to map out and log what is going on inside the stock ecu. It needs to come off eventually for MS to take over, but there are some interesting possibilities with "Plug'n Play" potential for those people that are interested in controlling your engine operation but in a simpler "Plug in and drive" mode. I like to think outside the box, literally :musicboohoo: .
  • I plan on a "Sequential" ignition and fuel outworking, with a crank tone wheel and possible cam sensor added. Seen some others here dabbling in that already.
  • A Mitsubishi "TD025-08T" turbo is set to join the party. I know there are numerous "Luftmeister" kits here (which are in fact RB Racing items that Lufty knew little about) and where the front lower mounting point has been common. I believe I'll try for the "American Turbo Pac" location which is pretty much where the battery mounts. Pro's and con's to every approach but I love to fabricate and feel there are some good reasons to go that direction.
  • That's a nice match for 750cc's, and the MS allows for some other trick enhancements like blow off valve control, waste-gate bypass management, and water/ meth injection (that's one of my favorites).
The time line on this is rather spread out, normally I would have something finished and then post about it (to avoid the "you can't do that" response) so it may prove necessary to create another post along the way if need be. Its all good, one of the main reasons I purchased this bike was to have something to work on during riding season, and good ole stress relief.
Hoping others that sit in this section of the bleachers will be interested in discussion. I'll leave it at that and hope for some company.
  • Abbotsford

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
I see typos already - how does one edit a response?
  • Abbotsford

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
Modify in the upper right will allow you to edit.

The "curious" designation is status is based on number of postings. You veteran status will grow with time, maybe.

Sounds like you have a plan in mind and you're willing to invest the time. Go for it.

My 87 is just an well maintained survivor that still kicks ass.

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
Very nice bike there Don.
I don't see a "Modify" comment in the upper right of anything - so suspect that too may be offered once a newbie has surpassed a magical number of posts? (I'm not complaining, just acknowledging that my spelling is atrocious - plus a sarcastic streak)
  • Abbotsford

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »
. . . plus a sarcastic streak)
We're all on tiptoe with anticipation, Arktasian. :giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »

I don't see a "Modify" comment in the upper right of anything

I see it, if you're on a phone it might not show up the same
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
I see it, if you're on a phone it might not show up the same
It's post-count dependent, Chaos. He'll get it eventually.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 11:01:55 PM »
If typos are restrictive, then the edit function sure as heck needs to award itself to myself in order to remain semi compliant :oops:

As mentioned, I'm a bit premature in mention of upcoming K mods, below however a camping trip a couple of seasons ago - my RT in front.

NOTE: Photo disappeared, ??

• Abbotsford

Offline Panchoplanet

• Motobrick Curious
  • Trying to keep it logical.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
Looking forward to developments on your mod Arktasian,  I like to use the center stand exclusively, it's European like. Always liked how in old movies  (usually brit movies) bikes are most always parked on center stand it has a retro bive.  In fact was considering removing side stand and just sporting center stand only mode.

Also liked your drawing and design skills  :2thumbup: .

Pp.
  • Red Hook, NY
  • 1991 K75s

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »
I like center stand usage also - seems everyone at work however uses a side stand (especially the Harleys that get ridden so infrequently, its a sunny day indeed when they're used.  :beehive: )
I'm interested enough to confirm that a right side stand will eradicate start up smoke to the point I may switch it back over to the left side once she's in use (easily swapped in a minute as original pivot tab left intact) in order to test and confirm it isn't just the bike characteristics. But it will live on the right side long term.
I have a lingering mental image also of side stands that is along the lines of a ride off set up, but the other way around. It comes from the "Little Shop of Horrors" movie with Steve Martin as the evil bike riding dentist, link below

Just made me laugh every-time he dis-mounts with bike in motion.
  • Abbotsford

Offline Arktasian

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »
Still note that there is no "Edit" feature allowed on my junior account here - any thoughts on how many posts required to enable that "spelling challenged" feature  :dunno

OK - answer to my own question - it is 10 posts as I have been now able to come back and correct a couple of typos.  :musicboohoo:
  • Abbotsford

Tags: