Author Topic: My First (Full) Spline Lube  (Read 30017 times)

Offline technostructural

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: My First (Full) Spline Lube
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
To make your life a bit easier use two long bolts with the heads cut off as a replacement for your gearbox mounting bolts. Slide the gearbox onto the bolts and it should slide right on if you have the clutch aligned, sometimes you might have to rotate the gearbox shaft to align the splines.
Regards Martin.

Thanks Martin. I've actually done this to get it off as well. I used long M8 bolts with the heads cut off. It worked great.

My biggest concern about alignment at this point is mostly to do with the clutch pack and leaving it in any way that would cause premature wear on the clutch splines/input splines.
  • Halifax, NS
  • 1989 K75 ("Schatz"), '81 Suzuki GS450T, 1974 Yamaha TX500

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »

Did you mark the components so that on reassembly you get the correct alignment. All the components are balanced and should be assembled with the marks aligned.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline technostructural

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »
Did you mark the components so that on reassembly you get the correct alignment. All the components are balanced and should be assembled with the marks aligned.
Regards Martin.

Hello Martin,

Yes I did. I marked them with a white marker. The one thing that I did not mark was the flywheel. I just couldn't get the marker on it with the entire clutch pack installed. It seems to be completely symmetrical, however. So long as the pressure plates are in their proper orientation, does it really matter how they sit on the flywheel? The manual here is not terribly clear about this 120 degrees business.
  • Halifax, NS

Offline Martin

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

When I did mine I aligned everything, even the stars. So I guess you'll find out.  :dunno
Regards Martin.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Online Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2017, 04:49:09 PM »
The manual here is not terribly clear about this 120 degrees business.
Chris Harris is clear about it in his video though. It is only the components of the clutch pack that are balanced. One swipe across their edges in one place with a color that's visible and durable is all that's needed before disassembly then just align the marks together on reassembly.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline technostructural

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »
After a bit of a break, I'm back to it. I ordered the clutch centring tool from eBay. After shipping to Canada, it was a bit pricey, but I think worth it:

I cleaned up my transmission/input and clutch splines really well and used Staburags. I didn't catch a photo of the staburags that I put on, but I used very little and applied it very thoroughly. Here are a couple photos of the splines and the clutch pack being centred:

I torqued the clutch bolts to 18 Nm because I decided to reuse them. It took a little bit of adjusting, but I got the clutch pack centred and the tool was spinning freely.

The transmission is now back in, and I have to say that this makes it feel a whole lot closer to being ready to ride. I still have some other maintenance to do before it is completely ready.

Thanks everyone for all of your help and guidance. If it weren't for your suggestions, I would have probably not changed the clutch nut o-ring or used the correct tool to centre the clutch. I will keep you posted with some more photos as things go back together.
  • Halifax, NS

Offline technostructural

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2017, 07:56:24 AM »
I wish I had a photo of this, but I fired up Schatz for the first time last night. Either the old mica gasket was lodged in the exhaust, or the new one has been obliterated, but my garage was instantly sparkled with fairy dust. As soon as I saw sparkles flying out of the muffler, I got the hell out of there and opened the barn doors to let the place air out. The old gasket did crumble when I took the muffler off, and so these flakes are likely bits of the old gasket rather than the new one (I hope?)

The reason for the lack of photos is that I have been in a bit of a hurry to get her back in working order for my trip to Boston next weekend.

Thankfully she is running beautifully. I took her for a very short rip and she is shifting smoothly, running beautifully. Just a few more routine maintenance tasks (e.g., oil change, electronics tweaking) and I'll be ready for the ride!
  • Halifax, NS

Offline restinthesun

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 07:15:33 PM »

[size=78%]I'm knee deep in my first clutch spline lube with a similar amount of oil spread around the bell housing, questions about how much farther I should go before I break something and this post was just what I needed... For that I thank you all. [/size] :2thumbup: If I cock anything up, I'll be sure to start another thread...

• Vermont
  • Rudy – 1988 K75S (74,000 miles)
"Be the ball, Danny."

Offline blackie1

• christchurch nz
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:22 AM »
very informative post with great pics and advice from the crew
thanks
  • christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

Offline John Lang

• John Lang
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31:09 AM »
Does 0-ring size 19 x 4 mean 19 mm inner diameter and 23 mm outer diameter?
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
Does 0-ring size 19 x 4 mean 19 mm inner diameter and 23 mm outer diameter?
It means 19mm inner and 27mm outer because 4mm width of cross section is gained on each side of the 19mm diameter.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline John Lang

• John Lang
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
Thank you, Laitch.
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Offline technostructural

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2018, 04:40:21 PM »
I'm glad that this thread has helped some others. That was the goal in trying to attach useful photos and solicit information from the more senior members.

If you find out anything further or contrary, please feel free to post it here.
  • Halifax, NS

Offline woodgeek

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2018, 07:35:30 PM »
Thank for posting this techno. It makes diving in here a little less intimidating. I watched all 6 of the Chris Harris videos and I was surprised, as you were, that he didn't mention the o-ring under the clutch nut. He was, however, very adamant about changing the clutch arm boot.
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 09:39:59 PM »
I was surprised, as you were, that he didn't mention the o-ring under the clutch nut.
What's the surprise? Why should he mention the o-ring? He was in there to check the splines for lube and lube them if necessary. There was no evidence of oil leakage at the nut.

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline woodgeek

My First (Full) Spline Lube
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
What's the surprise? Why should he mention the o-ring? He was in there to check the splines for lube and lube them if necessary. There was no evidence of oil leakage at the nut.
You are right. Can you see that I suffer from a compulsive desire to replace every piece of rubber? 
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2018, 09:52:03 PM »
. . . I suffer from a compulsive desire to replace every piece of rubber
You may as well enjoy those desires rather than suffer from them. You're not the first to be attracted to rubber products. :giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline restinthesun

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »
Welp, I got the clutch out after some cursing and bashing my finger black and blue and found a nice little puddle of oil under the clutch nut (photos attached).

Question: could this just be a dried out o-ring or would I be silly not to change the rear main seal while I'm in there? If the latter is the case, does the new seal really need to be .5mm from the engine case or is flush fine as noted in this description on IBMWR? I'd like to avoid buying a special tool if needed, but don't want to cock this up. Thanks!
  • Vermont
"Be the ball, Danny."

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
How much did you enjoy getting to this state of disassembly? 

Is 30 bucks and an extra hour of working in there worth not having to take it all apart again? 

As far as the half millimeter, I did it by taking a piece of wood about 3"x3"x3/4" and gluing a piece of thin cardboard from a cereal box with a hole in it to clear the seal.  I used this block to carefully tap the seal in to its final position.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline technostructural

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
I second what Gryphon says.

But, for the sake of sanity, I would first get the clutch nut off to get a better look at the rear main seal and the o-ring. With the nut in the way, you really can't tell what is causing the leak.

Even if the seal looks very fresh and pliable and you are pretty damn sure that it is only the o-ring that is causing you trouble, I'd still be inclined to change the rear main seal. I didn't on mine because everything was very dry. With the presence of oil it leaves some plausible deniability that it could actually be the rear main seal.
  • Halifax, NS

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »
I'm knee deep in my first clutch spline lube . . .
Are you replacing the clutch friction disc? What's its thickness? Give us a well-lit photo of the friction disc splines from a couple of angles if you aren't replacing it. They look a little tender right now. Might just be from the lighting. While you're at it, let's have a couple photos of the input splines that engage that disc.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline restinthesun

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2018, 08:04:29 PM »
Gryphon, I'm a tinkerer so getting here wasn't that bad. Bashing my finger and drilling out a few bolts was all part of the "fun". I ordered the RMS and will see what I can do about fashioning the wooden tool you mentioned. Thanks for the tip.

Techno, Totally agree. Just gonna git'er done while I'm in there.

Laitch, friction disc is abot 5.38mm. Miles to go before she sleeps at 4.5mm. Main reason was to check the mess I found in the bell housing. Oil all over. The puddle at the base of the clutch nut pulled me further into the belly of the beast. The splines cleaned up nicely last night. Don't have a photo yet, but will post post haste. The input splines were good too. My driveshaft is pretty notched, but I've read that's only a problem when they fully notch over.
  • Vermont
"Be the ball, Danny."

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2018, 09:17:14 PM »
My driveshaft is pretty notched, but I've read that's only a problem when they fully notch over.
Right. That's called "stalled on the Interstate at rush hour."

You probably should replace the o-ring and seal both unless you know what you're looking at. BMW recommends replacing the nut, too. In fact, they might even recommend replacing the bike at that point—with a new Beemer of course. :giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline restinthesun

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »
Ok, so I got through the clutch bolt and rubber gasket, but when I was taking some initial tugs at the RMS, I first pulled out a strange circular spring that i can't find reference to anywhere.

Ideas?

All parts suggested – other than the drive shaft – came last week and the input splines cleaned up nicely. Thanks for the push to keep digging on this beast.

I stupidly forgot to drain the oil in the bike and it's up on a lift, so slowly waiting for oil to drain from behind where the RMS was. That's supposed to happen, right?
  • Vermont
"Be the ball, Danny."

Offline Martin

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2018, 03:40:29 PM »
It is hard to work out it's size without a reference. However I believe the spring was part of the seal, it pushes the lip of the seal onto the shaft.
Regards Martin.

Tags: