Author Topic: Why do people build cafe racers destroying great original bikes?  (Read 26794 times)

Offline Revrdmark

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Why do people build cafe racers?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 01:59:44 AM »
Well I'm on my fourth cafe project. For me I like the simple look of cafe bikes. Simple frame,engine and suspension.  The same reason I ride a speed triple and the other "naked" bikes I've owned. I'm not sure I agree with the "trendy" comments. Riding a stock k100 with the the trendiest plastics the 80's could buy  makes me long for my members only jacket, I guess it all depends on which trend you like. The reason  I am doing a project on a k100 was to show off the great shape of the brick engine and the single side swing arm. For me customizing my k100 is some thing I do for me not for others. I like the look. I like the problem solving.  I like the  having something the way I want it, and I love when people come by to look at it at bike night and ask where I got it and I say " I built it"

BTW I've almost doubled my money on each of the three cafe projects I've built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline zalle

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 05:51:41 AM »

Cool, you're making money with the trend. Keep doing it while it lasts.  :riding:
  • Portugal
  • K1100LT & Honda CBX1000

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 08:45:41 AM »
These comments about to strip or not to strip and future values have me wondering, which mainstream bikes from the 80's and 90's are going to be standout classics in the future?  Along the lines of the R90s or sand cast Honda 750's, something that in 10 or 15 years "retro" bikes  will try to emulate?
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 09:08:46 AM »
For me the Honda VFR's starting at the 750's and going up to the Interceptors are amazing all round bikes with brilliant engines - never very retro looking but just great machines - if I could find a good one (or a bad one for that matter, I have never seen one here at all!)here in CR I would buy it in a second

After that probably the big fast and totally crazy 2 strokes like the RD 350C or the four cylinder 500 cc 2 stroke moto GP copies

Lastly who could forget the CBX??? Awesome
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline zalle

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »

Lastly who could forget the CBX??? Awesome

Here's my CBX featured in a Portuguese magazine  :falldown:

• Portugal

Offline Revrdmark

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
These comments about to strip or not to strip and future values have me wondering, which mainstream bikes from the 80's and 90's are going to be standout classics in the future?  Along the lines of the R90s or sand cast Honda 750's, something that in 10 or 15 years "retro" bikes  will try to emulate?
The Honda HawkGT seems to have become that. ( another naked bike) They have a huge following and are being sold for 2-3x's what other bikes of similar age go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Spokane WA
  • 87 K100

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »

People made money on the chopper trend, too. Now, the classifieds are full of those unrideable monstrosities that people are trying to dump to salvage what value they can.

Also, like I said, there are some decent cafe racers out there, but by and large they are all from the same mold: buy cheap strap-ons/replace seat with plywood/hacksaw the frame. Bobbers are even worse.

Few people have skill and resources to build something really interesting. Like, say, this: http://classic-motorbikes.net/yamaha-dresda-xj550-turbo/

That's a build with a completely new frame that actually significantly alters performance of the bike. It's not just looks.
  • Minnesnowta
  • 1986 K100RT, 1996 R1100RS

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »

Bikes that have a king of a cult status that I know of:

Yamaha XS650
Yamaha FJ1100/1200
Honda Ascot

That's just off the top of my head.

Disclosure: I am part of the FJ cult.  :neener:
  • Minnesnowta

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
To be different but the same.
Motorcyclists have already chosen to be different and extending that difference by building your own is a statement.Loner Rebel but with the support of motorcycling and belonging.
Just more Yeehaaa.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
Honda Ascot?  I had one of those, and outside of the thumper engine there was barely anything about that bike that was even barely acceptable.  It wallowed in turns, dove worse than my RT when braking.  Speaking of brakes, they were useless when riding two up.  The engine at 34 hp was underpowered, and the riding position was unbearable on my back after just 1 hour of riding.

Having said that, I recently met the guy I sold it to 25 years ago.  He said that about 6 guys he knew of learned to ride on it, and they all loved it.

If that bike inspires the retro styling of future bikes, it bodes well for the bricks as the styling of the the two models is very similar.

To me, the Ascot is a much better candidate for doing a cappuccino job.  It is much more in keeping with the classic cappuccino starting point.  In fact, I wouldn't mind doing a hack job on one of them.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
To me, the Ascot is a much better candidate for doing a cappuccino job.  It is much more in keeping with the classic cappuccino starting point.  In fact, I wouldn't mind doing a hack job on one of them.

They are getting popular and harder to find. I see them going for stupid money on CL sometimes.
  • Minnesnowta

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
I think my new '82 FT500 was $1200 n 1984.  Honda had a ton of them that they couldn't give away.  I sold it 8 years later in 1992 with about 15k miles for something like $500, and I recall I was glad to get that for it. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »
How about the Honda Superdream 250 and 400 N. 

As a Londoner in the 80's and 90's they were the everywhere as the favoured ride of bike messengers. 

Ugly as sin but bulletproof, I have seen a few that have been cafed and they look great
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 09:15:09 PM »
So I fall into the bike and me ate shit category. That is why mine is getting trimmed. But I am not going full cafe. it will be reversible assuming I every find enough plastics and bits to replace mine.  The original plan was to strip it and cafe it, but the one I found was way way way to nice for that so it turned into restore mode. Then I got cut off and it startle the narcaleptic bike and she decided to take a nap. So now she is fairing-less and still rideable. Hence. fighter esque she be for now
  • Texas
  • '86 k100 '12 g65GS Sertao

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 11:52:11 PM »
The "Plastic Maggot" Honda CX500 has a heart of gold.The standard bike looks like,a plastic maggot.
Any mod will improve their looks.I like the look of this one with it's Clown Shoe seat.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
always liked Honda's mini-guzzi.  Almost bought one long ago, still might.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 09:08:22 AM »
As for stripping the Ks down. Where i am is hot. We all know these bricks get HOT
  • Texas
  • '86 k100 '12 g65GS Sertao

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
I like the look of this one with it's Clown Shoe seat.
Clown Shoe seats are trending! :clap:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline whosyurdaddy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 06:16:16 AM »
"Why do people build cafe racers" individualism , self expression , show off their mad skills who knows . Someone said this is a passing fad and it could be but apparently there is enough interest in these bikes (cafe/scrambler) that BMW and Triumph are trying to grab a piece of this passing fad market . I think its interesting to see what someone can create with a good imagination . Zalle says he wants to put 100rs bodywork on his 1100lt and no one has said one word for or against this . I like his idea and I think it falls into the self expression category but in the end he's changing the originality of the bike  which many seem to not care for . I don't think the younger riders are as interested  in long distance riding which helps create  the urban brawler type bike and unfortunately  many of the K bikes are a cheap platform to start with and its still an awesome bike no matter how its dressed . Who knows with the interest in modifying these bikes maybe some aftermarket companies start producing more parts for K bikes which could give us alternative to BMW parts .
  • Central Indiana
  • 1991 K100RS SOLD

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 08:52:03 AM »
At first I was kind of appalled at the way K bikes were being broken down by breakers and hacked up by the latte racer crowd, but now, a certain ambivalence has overtaken my attitude.

At my age I can probably look forward to another 10 years of riding at most, and then I'll have to get rid of my bikes.   When that day comes I hope I'll be able to get as much of my investment out of them as possible.  To that end, the more rare K bikes are the more I'll be able to get for mine. 

In 10 years it's a pretty safe bet that rather than still being on the road all the K bikes that have been customized will have been abandoned to scrap yards.  That will only make my well maintained machines that much more valuable. 

Where are all the hot rods and custom cars of the past?  Seen any choppers with extended forks and peanut tanks lately?  What usually gets the most money at auction, the radical custom hacked up in somebody's back yard or the well preserved or restored stock model?  Right now the bricks are going through the "old" bike phase, but it is a pretty sure thing that eventually they will attain classic status and start seeing values go up.  They were innovative, significant examples of the state of the art, well received in their day, scarce and sought after by many riders who couldn't afford them at the time.  As these riders get older and more financially successful, they will start seeking these bikes out just like aging boomers seek out the muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's.

Values have pretty much bottomed out for the K bikes, and they need to become more rare to begin the upward price cycle so I am rooting for the breakers and customizers. 

• '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline zalle

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
Zalle says he wants to put 100rs bodywork on his 1100lt and no one has said one word for or against this . I like his idea and I think it falls into the self expression category but in the end he's changing the originality of the bike  which many seem to not care for .

I am not changing anything original. I want to adapt this fairing I got, but keep all original parts so I can switch back and forth if and when I please.

My K1100LT is 100% original.

By the way, I think it's great people building cafe racers, I just think it's a pity people destroying great original bikes for the sake of it. I guess I put a wrong title to this post.

But I do like the argument that it's great people do this, so we can have cheap spares  :riding:
  • Portugal

• Administrator
Re: Why do people build cafe racers destroying great original bikes?
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 11:44:10 AM »
+1 on the cheap spares.  About the time I'll want to freshen up the engine on my RT I'll be able to pick up a customized spares bike with low miles for a couple hundred bucks. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Blunderbust

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2017, 02:16:16 AM »
This is an interesting thread as I am about to start trying to piece together an old bike I got for the reasonable sum of £400. Unfortunately someone some where along the ownership line has decided to cut and weld various bits and pieces and then decided to strip the bike and use it as a donor for spare parts which is only leaving me with some minimal options to get the bike on the road and hopefully get some use out of it.

I can see the point of keeping a machine as clean and close to standard is as possible and agree that the K100 is more suited to the long distance type touring. However as I have a Triumph Rocket 111 Touring which I use to tour within the UK and a Honda Crosstourer to use for my regular European mainland trips I don't need another touring machine.

Due to this I am not going to try and re-weld or fit the various plastics to the bike (I did receive a large box with various bits of plastic and the like) as I am sure I will end up searching the internet to source the bits that I don't have, then have to wait to collate everything before I can get started on my project. Also I have to consider that if the stuff is in the condition of the kit I was given, I would not have the patience to repair and repaint it all.

I already have an old RAT run a round which I converted from a crash damaged Honda CBF1000 so will not be going down that route. I do however have to admit that it has crossed my mind that a café or scrambler type build would be so easy to do (Considering what I have as it sits) and not cost me too much money to get a decent job done. I already have a lot of basics that I need to source (instrument panel, complete fuel tank filler cap, handle bars that fit, brake pipes, brake rotors, control cables, lighting and no doubt other numerous electrical components) I am sure that as I get started and the project progresses I will find lots more deficiencies.

My end aim is no where near decided yet but admittedly I will be under a tight budget and apologise  :dunno to you die hard originals :nono for what I am about to do in advance, 
  • Norfolk, UK
  • 1984 K100

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »
First, try tapping the "enter" key one more time between paragraphs when you are writing.  It makes reading so much easier for these old eyes.

I have no problem with people in your situation making a silk purse out of a box of pig's ears.  It's the guys who get a really nice low mileage bike that still has a hundred thousand miles left in it and turn it into an uncomfortable, foul handling piece of "art" that in a few years will be left rusting behind a shed somewhere. 

I am old enough to remember the chopper fad of the late 60's/early 70's.  Thousands of old Hardleys were cut up and butchered into those things.  Less than 10 years later they all but disappeared and no one wanted to be seen riding one.  Along with them, thousands of vintage Hardley engines and other parts have disappeared. 

I am not young enough to be needing another brick in 15 years, but find it sort of sad to see so many of these wonderful machines taken out of circulation, making it so much harder for future riders to enjoy them.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline K1300S

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
Well said gryph.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Tags: