Author Topic: Rider and brick down TX  (Read 8546 times)

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
Rider and brick down TX
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »
For nearly a decade I have been riding  motorcycles and have never been in a wreck until last night. Had a highschool aged girl pull across 4 lanes of traffic and a turning lane.  She did not see me in my reflective gear or bright white LED headlight. nothing. Locked my front brake at about 40-50mph and gave the ground a hug. Thankfully she stopped, as well as 2 good Samaritans stopping traffic and helping me recover gear bit, tools and other assorted bits.  Thasnks to the fine amount of addrenalin and having a quick checkout by EMS I was able to ride the bike home no mechical damage thankfully, all cosmetic and a tiny bit of skin.. The wife made me go to the VA hospital to get checked out (and bandaged). found out at a cause a tiny tiny fracture in my left ankle, told to treat it like a sprain and not to go to work for a week.   I am glad a wear gear, however I greatly wish I had worn my gloves... would have been two scrapes less. As soon as I finger out how to add an image or two I will post some pics of the aftermath.

If any of you have a lead on a handful of parts you would be loved, if ya helped me get the bike up to par.

front fairing RS
left side lower fairing
kickstand   (ground a little off of it)
exhaust heat shield
valve cover   (She took a beating like a champ and kept the slick stuff in)
Tool kit.   (I think I still have most of mine bnut I also know it scattered on the road :(
Left side mirror assembly
right side mirror assembly (still have min but if I am going to fix it I may as well get it all)

I think thats about it.
Thank you guys for any help
  • Texas
  • '86 k100 '12 g65GS Sertao

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Rider and brick down TX
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
On a  bright note, one of the guys who stopped and helped me was telling me he rides normally without gear. said I have made him change his mind, since he has seen the power of gear
  • Texas

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 11:19:20 AM »
Glad you and the bike didn't fare worse!  Gear is good, though I never put much stock in hi vis.   With all the cafe rage going on around here hopefully you can get the parts you need cheap.  I had good luck with IBMWR.org marketplace after an encounter with a deer years ago. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline billday

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »
Amazing you could take a spill like that and ride home. Glad you're OK.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
Can and should are different. Plus addrenaline is one hell of a drug
  • Texas

Offline Dennis de Vries

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »
Looks like you got out of that beter than the bike did (or i did for that matter...)
Nasty rash on your back though, that'll sting a bit i bet! Hope you get the bike back up soon, and take it easy on that fracture, tiny as it may be

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CUN-L21 met Tapatalk

• Holland, Europe
  • '89 K75RT

Offline Martin

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »

Never good when someone goes down, I hope you recover and you fix the brick. Sometimes when you don't actually hit the idiot who causes the accident they either keep driving or deny responsibility. What did she do?
Wishing you both a speedy recovery Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
She stopped and called 911 for me. She gave me all of her info.  Im thinking and hoping all will be well
  • Texas

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »

Well at least she stopped and did the right thing, I've had one that didn't, luckily minor damage to bike and myself.
Ride long and prosper regards Martin.

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
So, she has admitted fault to her insurance and they are taking care of me.  I worry a bit they will total loss the bike. But I have  a plan for that. 
  • Texas

Offline Dennis de Vries

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
Insurance totalled my bike as well. But over here you get the opportunity to keep the bike and get the money the bike would have been worth at the time of the accident minus what the scrapper would pay for the wreck. Payed out pretty nice for me. They don't do that in the States?

• Holland, Europe
  • '89 K75RT

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 06:15:15 PM »
They do, and that is what I will probly do.  I'll hunt for a k1100 and cafe the k100.
  • Texas

Offline topfueltrav

• Curious
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 12:03:25 AM »
Hey I just took everything off mine for a project. Email me tomorrow what you need and I'll let you know what I've got topfueltrav969@gmail.com

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 07:33:29 AM »
Out of curiosity -- how did you interact with the person who caused the collision? I got rearended by a teenager on a cell phone once and had a hard time controlling my rage. She called it an 'accident' -- that really pissed me off because it was anything but an accident, it was careless, reckless operation of a 3000 lb motorized projectile.

Were you courteous and did you sing kumbaya with her or did you give her the what-for?
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 09:22:31 AM »
Just shy of kumbya,  i was grateful she stopped.
  • Texas

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
I got rearended by a teenager on a cell phone . . .  it was careless, reckless operation of a 3000 lb motorized projectile.
That's a damn big cellphone. You're lucky you still have a rear end.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
That's a damn big cellphone. You're lucky you still have a rear end.

:hehehe  I had to read that twice.
  • Texas

Offline Martin

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »

I was going to give the woman who ran into me a mouthful. But I stopped when I saw she was about 9 months pregnant. I had images of me yelling at her, and her going into labour and me delivering her baby in the carpark. I definitely did not want to be birthing no baby in a carpark.
 :dunno2:
Regards Martin.

Offline Dennis de Vries

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »
What good would it do to start shouting at each other? As long as they stop and do the decent thing that is anyway. I allways assume they didn't mean to do you harm and usually are just as shook up as you are...

If they run or start to give you grief for having the nerve to ruin their day, be my guest! [emoji4]

• Holland, Europe
  • '89 K75RT

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »
Hey, I don't want to be shouting at each other. I just to shout at them  :2thumbup:

Problem is, here in 'Mercuh everyone's got a gun, which is why I never shout at anyone unless they look like a victim. Pregnant women and geeky looking teenagers...give 'me hell! If someone looks like they're packin' I thank them for nearly prematurely ending my life and wait for the cops.

I haven't always been a self-righteous asshole when it comes to reckless driving. It didn't start until I started motobricking and realized how vulnerable I am. Prior to that, I was a reckless driver who was fortunate enough not to have killed anyone.

But seriously -- I have no obligation to bond with careless or reckless drivers after they've caused a wreck. I think they're despicable, self-obsessed people who really don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. I don't have to be nice to them, and I won't. So there!
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
Even pregnant women and geeky teenagers have the right to be be packing where you are...
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Martin

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »

The only reason I was going to give her a mouthful was her failure to stop. A witness on foot stopped her from exiting the carpark, her answer to don't you realise you have just hit a motorcycle. What motorcycle what accident, really she scraped me down the full length of her car and I folded her mirror in. If the witness had not stopped her she would have kept going. She was lucky she was pregnant, and I was lucky I had the witness.
Regards Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »
The only reason I was going to give her a mouthful was her failure to stop. . .  .
I would think the only way you could do that is if she stopped but I would have tried to do it running anyway—just for the experience—if she were willing, of course.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline pthm

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 10:58:13 PM »
So the deed with the insurance company is done at least the bike side of it. Still have injury and PPE to go. But I can not complain even a little bit with the bike side of it.  They did consider it a total loss. Which I found out in texas does not mean a salvage title if you buy it back. After taking the buyback price for it out they are cutting me a check for 5100 bucks. No complaints on my end. It will now be a naked bike.  If any of you have a nice valvecover I would gladly take it off your hands.
  • Texas

Offline Ultima

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
Sorry for you but you were lucky anyhow.
The bike should be easily fixed.
Apart from the fairing that need fixing you can get the other parts easily.
Are the fairing attachments dead?
  • Paris
  • K75 Ultima

Tags: