Author Topic: Heat shield for K100 (New Fortnine video)  (Read 615 times)

Offline moto1337

• Motobrick Curious
Heat shield for K100 (New Fortnine video)
« on: July 29, 2023, 06:30:11 PM »
Anyone know if there are over-the-tank heat shields for the K100 (ideally the standard model like in my user photo) similar to what this guy has in the video below? Would be nice for keeping the tank heat off my knees and even better to cover up the big dent I put in the tank whilst changing the coolant……

• Concord, MA
  • 1986 K100

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Heat shield for K100 (New Fortnine video)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 07:22:36 PM »
Have you lifted the tank to verify that the insulation underneath it is still in good condition? It can be replaced with Refectix, a product available in many home supply stores.

There are tank pad aftermarket options that can be trimmed to fit, or cut a couple out of the doormat of your choice.  :laughing4-giggles: OEM tank pads are offered for sale occasionally. Installation of a fuel cooler seems to help some riders.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 11:19:35 PM »
That's kind of a heat shield, kind of not. That's the tank surround that goes with the low seat to make up for the missing side covers on a K that's been fitted with a low seat.

See the difference here:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/lowseat/lowseat.htm

If you're not using a low seat then knee pads help. (And also help knees grab the tank in turns.)  You'll still get some thigh heat from the crack between the side covers and tank but it helps.

If you get pants from Motoport they have armor that wraps over your upper leg and covers your thighs that really helps cut down on thigh burn.  Another reason to like Motoport pants.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline moto1337

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 09:26:34 PM »
Very interesting info regarding the low seat, I didn't realize there were different seats. I'll check to see if I have low or normal.

Regarding engine and tank heat, I will indeed refresh the reflective material, at least one of the pieces has fallen off.
  • Concord, MA
  • 1986 K100

Offline moto1337

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 09:30:32 PM »
Very interesting info regarding the low seat, I didn't realize there were different seats. I'll check to see if I have low or normal. I wonder if something like this would fit mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394261157418?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JpNNeH7FRUe&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Regarding engine and tank heat, I will indeed refresh the reflective material, at least one of the pieces has fallen off. However, my desire for a tank cover is honestly more to hide the large dent I made after dropping the tank on the garage floor while changing coolant...
  • Concord, MA
  • 1986 K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 11:00:14 PM »
Very interesting info regarding the low seat, I didn't realize there were different seats. I'll check to see if I have low or normal. I wonder if something like this would fit mine: ..
If the blue Brick in the opening photo is yours, it has a standard height seat. That tank cover in the link you posted is for a low seat assembly. Cobbling it onto your Brick would look like hell. You'd probably get as much heat relief cutting and mounting with silicone adhesive custom tank knee pads from rubber sheet, or finding pads that fit the space. Certainly they'd work as camouflage.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 11:19:38 PM »
Another thing that you can do is a "Johnny blanket"  - get some foil backed bubble insulation at Home Depot or Lowes and do a double layer of it under the tank and side covers.

Here's some examples on my K1100RS and K1100LT. The black duct tape is there so that the silver of the foil backing doesn't show through the crack between the side covers and tank.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline moto1337

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 09:31:52 AM »
Very helpful, thanks!
  • Concord, MA
  • 1986 K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 10:10:31 AM »
Dreams can come true, maybe.  :laughing4-giggles:   Look at this.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline moto1337

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 11:18:35 AM »
Nice, the bagster looks good.
  • Concord, MA
  • 1986 K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 11:52:49 AM »
Just think about the number of dents you could hide with it. It's inspiring!
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: