Author Topic: Guilty ... confessions from the shed  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Vespa no more

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Guilty ... confessions from the shed
« on: January 03, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »
Am starting a new post in the vein of a "what did you do to your brick today?" post for moments of stupidity.

Surely to God there is a litany of moments we are all guilty of ... that we'd rather not share ... but will no doubt bring both laughter, recognition of similar experience(s) and reassurance that you are just like everybody else.

My offering for this morning - pretty harmless

Recently had issues with weak battery and starter motor relay switches fused together... at the same time the LHS indicators stopped working while on a ride.
Pulled a wire and continued riding using hand signals. Pulled the relay and cleaned the contacts...
Had a win with the relay and decided to attack the indicators.

Dismantled and cleaned the RHS switches on handlbars. RHS indicators working. LHS nothing - 'cept a buzzing sound.
Pulled the big green relay and ... stopped. A lot of little electrical things in there. too many for this electrical novice. Identified the buzzing mini coil and couldn't see how to service / clean it. Sprayed it with contact cleaner and left it.

Got the good idea to take the indicator relay from the K1100 and try it. This buzzed too.

Aha! - then the relay is not the problem ... must be further up stream. Looked at the wiring diagram in Clymer and the wiring kept going onto the next page.

Decided, reluctantly, to ask on the forum... anticipated getting imogee'd into a coma by Laitch followed by a too curt reply... typing away "...don't know where to check...". Had nearly finished when...

Moment of clarity. Those bulbs are not connected - still.
Got into the shed first thing this morning, bulbs in, relay in... tick tock tick tock.

I'm counting that as a win.
Feel like a dickhead but at least I didn't tell anybody

Over to you

• Wollongong NSW AUSTRALIA
  • K100RT 1984, K1100RT 1993, Vespa VNB125 1963 :)

Offline Soichiro

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Guilty ... confessions from the shed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 06:02:03 PM »
You're only a dickhead if you do it again.  Just the once doesn't count.
  • Caerphilly
  • K75S, 1986. 400Four

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
between the two of us. we're human.

cant count the number of times of similar "doh" moments at work and at home...

i think we'll survive. cheers!  :lets-eat:
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...
Always something new to learn about riding and Kbikes...
"Viam inveniam aut faciam"

Offline Scud

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »
Where to start... I've done a lot of stupid shit once. And a few more than once. Recent example: got interrupted while installing rear brake calipers. Failed to torque the bolts - but they were snug, so I didn't notice. Shortly thereafter while riding thought... hmmm the rear brake has a weird shake... maybe I should press it again to see what's going on... (stupid)... the rotor carried the caliper forward a bit. Bent the brake line and nicked the rear wheel.

Some of these shed-fessions serve to make us smarter. So how about sharing the lesson learned or new habit that resulted from the mistake?

For example:

I have adopted a new habit. Whenever I install something that needs to be torqued or connected later, I put some blue masking tape on it.

• Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Offline Laitch

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:15:16 PM »
between the two of us. we're human.

cant count the number of times of similar "doh" moments at work and at home...

i think we'll survive. cheers!  :lets-eat:
Doh moments when riding are notoriously self-limiting. You probably won't be able to count many of them. They are a human habit to break.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,296.msg53303.html#msg53303

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »
Pulled the heat shield of my RT to paint it.  Next day was beautiful, but paint wasn't hard enough yet to put the shield back on so I went out without it.

A few days later I went to reinstall the heat shield and the nuts on the muffler had all fallen out.

Then there was the time I had been working on the rear tire and forgot to put the rear fender back on with the license plate.  Took the bike out and rode 25 miles into the city to get parts for my car.  Almost made it home before someone pointed out the missing license plate.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline Laitch

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »
Have you ever removed your rear wheel, final drive, swing arm, transmission and clutch pack trying to find your wallet then discovered that it was in your back pocket the whole time?

Well, I haven't, but I'll bet there are plenty on here who've done that or will have done that if they haven't ruined their bikes before then by dropping them from ratchet hoists attached to devices being used to lift them from trailers backed into holes dug to facilitate removal, or by setting them on fire while vacuuming their fuel tanks.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 12:25:56 AM »
Doh moments when riding are notoriously self-limiting. You probably won't be able to count many of them. They are a human habit to break.

Definitely. Thank You Laitch, while driving, doh moments usually occur when im distracted or preoccupied... no riding analogies yet...
long time ago. i forgot to tighten the wheels to our old vw van after a tire change coz i got distracted... then went to pickup my siblings...
7 or so kms later,  i was feeling/hearing a wierd kachunk kachunk in the rear, stopped and found out that i have 3 out of 5 bolts left on the wheel...
lesson learned, dont stop til you are done on critical pieces.

that van had bald tires... it was fun remembering driving it during rains. dancing on the curves. luckily van never in a accident since top allowed speed was 40kph.

Scud, i like that blue tape idea. will steal.   :euro
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...

Offline Laitch

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 12:34:15 AM »
. . . luckily van never in a accident since top allowed speed was 40kph.
A new law of vehicular physics is born! Fatal accidents can't happen below 40kph.

You read it here first!
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 12:46:36 AM »
setting them on fire while vacuuming their fuel tanks.

:dunno2:
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...

Online Martin

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 01:39:16 AM »
A wise man said a man who makes no mistakes, does nothing.  :nono
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Soichiro

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 02:37:33 AM »
A friend and I were attempting to push start a 400four,  me sitting on it and him pushing for all he's worth when..
I let the clutch out and...
Nothing.

No drive chain fitted.
  • Caerphilly
  • K75S, 1986. 400Four

Offline Scud

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 02:44:51 AM »
I had a 350-four. I could push start it while seated and dog-paddling it along - like a push-bike.

But only when the chain was installed.  :hehehe
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Offline Dennis de Vries

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 03:43:32 AM »
A friend and I were attempting to push start a 400four,  me sitting on it and him pushing for all he's worth when..
I let the clutch out and...
Nothing.

No drive chain fitted.

Had something similar happen to me once while out on a ride with friends. After a brief stop for coffee and refeul my trusty old GTR1000 Concours refused to fire up. Tried bumpstarting it myself but as it's a heavy beast no such luck. So after 2 go's being pushed by 2 of my friends while jumping in the saddle as i let the clutch go (no luck) we decided to have 1 more go before calling in the big guns. Of we went, push, push, jump up and as i did that the killswitch caught my eye.... Should i say more?  :hehehe
  • Holland, Europe
  • '89 K75RT

Offline Chaos

• Mars needs women!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
Impressed my GF by changing oil in her Dodge Colt and not putting the drain plug back in.  It ran fine but the oil light would go not off.  Big giveaway was all the oil in the driveway when she backed out.  Married me anyway. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
2012 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
Turned up to pick up my bike after it being in the customs warehouse for four  months.  Hooked up battery, turned over wouldn't start, tried jumper cables - same thing.  Pulled plugs. checked fuel, checked spark.  Wouldn't start.

Take it off side stand and put it on center stand - voila it fires right up!

Family impressed by my ability to get it started - I did not confess...
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline jay1622

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
As a teenager I helped a friend change the oil on another friend's truck. My buddy got busy and told me to just drain and fill the oil (no filter change). So I did, or, err, uh... Drained the transmission fluid and added the requisite amount of engine oil. Driving down the street, my bud mentioned we were blowing smoke and that the truck was shifting like crap.
  • Charlotte
  • Previous: 1986 K75S, 1977 R75/7, 1999 R1200C, 2003 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS, 2005 R1200RT... Current: 2005 R1200RT and my Brick, a 1988 K75S

Offline Vespa no more

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 03:20:24 AM »
Film camera

I'm sure I speak for others when, having followed your posts for some time, I feel I was there.

I did the oil on my wife's car and as she drove off I could see the oil line on the road. Grabbed some more oil and chased her in my car... quite easy to follow strangely enough...

Pulled her over, re filled the oil and told her to head for home without delay.

The old oil filter o-ring had stayed on the engine and, coupled with the new filter, had failed to make a seal.

Took a few months for the tell tale stains to disappear.
  • Wollongong NSW AUSTRALIA
  • K100RT 1984, K1100RT 1993, Vespa VNB125 1963 :)

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 09:16:43 AM »
... another oil fill mishap here. Had the brick hoisted up on the woodworking bench and tablesaur. Was about 2 litres into the fill when I realised ... oops.

A wise man said a man who makes no mistakes, does nothing.  :nono
... too many mistakes, does nothinking
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline mg1

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 12:07:49 AM »
When I was young and foolish (now I'm just foolish), I had a Yamaha triple.  I was trying to check the timing, and had borrowed a timing light to do so. It was designed with an adaptor which went between the spark plug and the cap, but it didn't fit very well, flopped all over the place.  Therefore I held the metal adaptor in place, turned the key on and hit the starter button. Next thing I knew I was about ten feet away.
  • central NSW, Australia
  • K1100RS

Offline The Dude

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 02:56:51 AM »
First draining of sump oil from a French diesel engined car.
'Used a proprietry 7 litre oil drain tray with a gradient down to a drain hole (diameter 1/2inch)into the  container.With very Hot oil,deftly undid the engine sump drain plug....3/4 inch diameter....I felt helpless.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Laitch

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 07:12:48 AM »
First draining of sump oil from a French diesel engined car.
With very Hot oil,deftly undid the engine sump drain plug....3/4 inch diameter....I felt helpless.
A sub-category of that is I Don't Need A Funnel For This. No, what I need is a roll of paper towels and 100lbs of cat litter.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles

Online Martin

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »

When I started my apprenticeship Motor Vehicle Aust Army, I was watching one of my fellow apprentices with a I know everything attitude. He was told to drain an engine so he started to drain into one, oh I need two, arrr I need three, oh hell I need four, oh crap I'm out of hubcaps what do I do now.  :hehehe
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »
Great Thread.....................After a recent transmission oil change, I checked the level when I filled her up with gas.  Left the filler cap off and drove away.  I am not sure how, but it stayed with the bike where I set it. I found it off, but still on the bike at my next stop and put it where it belonged!  :yes
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline Chaos

• Mars needs women!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »
years ago I was changing the idler arm on my TR3.  There, on the frame, was a thermostat cover with years and years of road grime covering it.  Some poor slob had changed the thermostat, probably looked all day for the cover (I heard it fall under the car!) written it off the the saint of lost parts and bought a new one.  I do stuff like that but find the thing as soon as I buy a new one. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
2012 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Tags: