Author Topic: 1985 K100 RT That didn't run...does now with issues!  (Read 104760 times)

Offline volador

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • NEEDS MORE CHROME
Re: 1985 K100 RT That didn't run...does now with issues!
« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »
I've got a slow drain on the battery so I pulled out all the fuses to stop the power from leaving the battery. After pulling all the fuses the speedo light and headlight came on, is this normal or is something wired wrong?
Supershooter

You paint the moto mystic red and name her “Christine”? Then its normal
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Supershooter

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »
You paint the moto mystic red and name her “Christine”? Then its normal

She's a "bottle blond", PO painted her Yellow, she was a red head originally. Maybe her name is Christine...?

I'll keep looking for the mysterious power issues.

Supershooter
  • Liberty Township, O'brien County, Iowa
  • 85 K100 RT

Offline alabrew

« Reply #302 on: November 12, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »
Some run separate heavier wires directly from the battery to the headlight for more lumens. There is a kit - Eastern Beaver?
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #303 on: November 12, 2019, 02:32:47 PM »
Yep here is a link to the headlight relays by Eastern Beaver
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline daveson

« Reply #304 on: November 12, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
Is this with the key in the off position?

The headlights came on when you removed which fuse?  That might point to the cause.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: November 12, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
As far as I know, the headlight isn't fused.  The headlight is wired directly to the battery through the load shed and combination switches.  There are no fuses in that circuit.

Look at the load shed relay and it's circuitry.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline daveson

« Reply #306 on: November 12, 2019, 07:36:16 PM »
True, so removing the fuses should not turn the headlight on,  but in this case it did,  is what I think is being said. If, it's with the key in the off position, which is a big if.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #307 on: November 13, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »
  • NYC NY

Offline Supershooter

« Reply #308 on: November 13, 2019, 10:47:36 PM »
I pulled the fuses with the key in the off position, no lights. I turned the key to the on position and the headlight and dash lights lit. I was surprised that anything lit up, I figured everything was fused. So I was just thinking I'd ask this crew if this was how it was supposed to work.
Supershooter
  • 85 K100 RT

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #309 on: November 13, 2019, 11:02:33 PM »
I've got a slow drain on the battery so I pulled out all the fuses to stop the power from leaving the battery. After pulling all the fuses the speedo light and headlight came on, is this normal or is something wired wrong?
Supershooter

I pulled the fuses with the key in the off position, no lights. I turned the key to the on position and the headlight and dash lights lit. I was surprised that anything lit up, I figured everything was fused. So I was just thinking I'd ask this crew if this was how it was supposed to work.
Supershooter
You had the brain trust all scratching their heads
Thats flocking hilarious!
  • NYC NY

Offline daveson

« Reply #310 on: November 14, 2019, 12:34:33 AM »
OK,  so the battery drain issue.

One old way,  with the clock disabled, and a Voltmeter between the battery negative strap and the battery negative post, remove fuses with constant power(red) on the feed side, to check for Voltage drop. If no luck, unplug different circuits.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #311 on: November 14, 2019, 02:19:53 AM »
OK,  so the battery drain issue.

One old way,  with the clock disabled, and a Voltmeter between the battery negative strap and the battery negative post, remove fuses with constant power(red) on the feed side, to check for Voltage drop. If no luck, unplug different circuits.
That might be how electrons flow in the southern hemisfere e.g. ammeter

In northern hemisfere
A voltmeter has to be connected in parallel to the Load (e.g.resistor) to measure potential difference across 2 points

To test for a parasitic drain, you need to insert a resistor shunt into the ground cable and measure any voltage drop across it.  Here's the process:

1. Purchase two 2Ω 1% 1Watt precision resistors from a reputable online electronics house like Digikey or Mouser.  Connect them in parallel.
2. Remove all fuses and make sure the ignition is off
3. insert the resistor pair between the ground wire from the negative terminal of the battery and the grounding point on the transmission.
4. Attach a voltmeter across the resistor pair and set the scale to 1V, if available.  The voltage you read will be equivalent to the parasitic current.  For example, a parasitic current of 1A will indicate 1V; a current of 100mA will indicate 0.1V (100 mV) and so on. E = I x R  R=1Ω
5. Note the voltmeter reading with all the fuses out and the ignition off.  It should be zero or near zero.
6. Insert each fuse and read the voltage.  If no change in reading, then remove the fuse and insert the next one.
7. Eventually, if you have a problem, the voltmeter will indicate a non-zero reading.  Now you know which circuit on the bike is the culprit.  You have narrowed your search.  Diagnose the circuit.

At no time, should you turn on the ignition or try to start the bike.  This will blow apart the resistor shunt with the current draw.

While connecting care should be taken that negative terminal of the VOM is connected to that end of resistor which is connected towards negative of the battery.

If VOM is connected in series then due to high resistance no current will flow through circuit so no voltage drop occur... its indicates zero and if ammeter is connected in parallel due to low resistance it will act like short circuit so chances of ammeter blows its fuse.
  • NYC NY

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #312 on: November 14, 2019, 07:32:12 AM »
That might be how electrons flow in the southern hemisfere In northern hemisfere
A voltmeter has to be  . . . . . .
They flow the same way in the North and South hemispheres and the old way still works.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: November 14, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
Supershooter

Geeez!!!  Now you tell us!  You had me thinking that pulling the fuses turned on the lights with the ignition off.

Banging my head against the wall...
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #314 on: November 14, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »
Geeez!!!  Now you tell us!  You had me thinking that pulling the fuses turned on the lights with the ignition off.

Banging my head against the wall...

Thats flocking hilarious!
This last page reads an exersise of Incertae sedis.
You can't make this stuff up   :laughing4-giggles:
  • NYC NY

Offline daveson

« Reply #315 on: November 14, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »
Thanks Laitch.

I was going to make an unfortunately long reply, but I won't bother now. Before I pressed the post button, I thought I wonder if this quick lazy reply is going to bite me on the bum. But I pressed anyway,  with the hope that someone will follow up with the better,  but harder to describe Amp meter test.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2019, 04:20:39 PM »
Thanks Laitch.

I was going to make an unfortunately long reply, but I won't bother now. Before I pressed the post button, I thought I wonder if this quick lazy reply is going to bite me on the bum. But I pressed anyway,  with the hope that someone will follow up with the better,  but harder to describe Amp meter test.

Oh how blasé
Please give us your extended version.
We are hanging at the yacht club or lounging in a hammock sipping cool drinks with plenty of spare time on our hands delighted to the intrinsic VOM

• NYC NY

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2019, 04:48:31 PM »
How old is the battery?  Was it stored last winter with less than a full charge on it?

Batteries stored with a partial charge will have the plates damaged, and over time will lose their ability to hold a charge.  It may be a very good idea to take your battery to an auto parts or battery store to have it load tested.   It will be time well spent before ripping the bike's wiring apart chasing a nonexistent problem.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline daveson

« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
Hi volador,

We are all brick brothers and sisters here.

This thread is not about me or you, or even your yacht. Supershooter is looking at a battery problem.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #319 on: November 14, 2019, 05:28:04 PM »
But I pressed anyway,  with the hope that someone will follow up with the better,  but harder to describe Amp meter test.
I think Eric describes a pretty good method in the video. Supershooter should go with that.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #320 on: November 14, 2019, 05:40:15 PM »
Hi volador,

We are all brick brothers and sisters here.

This thread is not about me or you, or even your yacht. Supershooter is looking at a battery problem.

Hi daveson,

Reading this thread I don't think Ss know what the flock is the problem has the brain trust banging their proverbially heads against the wall

Prepping the yacht for Raivavae, French Polynesia fishing expedition

May the brick brother and sister-hood remain strong!

Tally-ho and keep the shiny side up!
  • NYC NY

Offline Supershooter

« Reply #321 on: November 26, 2019, 08:54:34 PM »
Laitch
The video was very helpful, hopefully I can get back to the shop in the near future, holidays and hunting season are dominating my free time, Thanks again
Supershooter
  • 85 K100 RT

Offline daveson

« Reply #322 on: December 01, 2019, 05:52:24 PM »
That might be how electrons flow in the southern hemisfere e.g. ammeter

In northern hemisfere
A voltmeter has to be connected in parallel to the Load (e.g.resistor) to measure potential difference across 2 points

To test for a parasitic drain, you need to insert a resistor shunt into the ground cable and measure any voltage drop across it.  Here's the process:

1. Purchase two 2Ω 1% 1Watt precision resistors from a reputable online electronics house like Digikey or Mouser.  Connect them in parallel.
2. Remove all fuses and make sure the ignition is off
3. insert the resistor pair between the ground wire from the negative terminal of the battery and the grounding point on the transmission.
4. Attach a voltmeter across the resistor pair and set the scale to 1V, if available.  The voltage you read will be equivalent to the parasitic current.  For example, a parasitic current of 1A will indicate 1V; a current of 100mA will indicate 0.1V (100 mV) and so on. E = I x R  R=1Ω
5. Note the voltmeter reading with all the fuses out and the ignition off.  It should be zero or near zero.
6. Insert each fuse and read the voltage.  If no change in reading, then remove the fuse and insert the next one.
7. Eventually, if you have a problem, the voltmeter will indicate a non-zero reading.  Now you know which circuit on the bike is the culprit.  You have narrowed your search.  Diagnose the circuit.

At no time, should you turn on the ignition or try to start the bike.  This will blow apart the resistor shunt with the current draw.

While connecting care should be taken that negative terminal of the VOM is connected to that end of resistor which is connected towards negative of the battery.

If VOM is connected in series then due to high resistance no current will flow through circuit so no voltage drop occur... its indicates zero and if ammeter is connected in parallel due to low resistance it will act like short circuit so chances of ammeter blows its fuse.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it, you can use a Voltmeter in series.

As unusual as bricks are, I tried it on my brick, to be sure,  to be sure.

The reading across the battery was 12.7V. Placing a Voltmeter between the battery negative lead and post,  revealed 12.1V (not zero as stated in the above quote) This reveals a circuit,  the clock.

Removing fuse three (supplying power to the clock) and repeating the test,  revealed 0.02V. This shows there is no drain on the battery. This is a quick way of testing everything except circuits related to fuse three.  If I replaced fuse three and removed the clock, the reading would again be close to zero,  leaving only the clock to test,  which I know is good.

Hopefully Supershooter would get the same result. Another quick test would be Gryph's suggestion, simply get the battery tested.

Although this method shows if there is a drain on the battery, it doesn't reveal how many Amps,  so the Amp meter test is better. If you're not familiar with these tests, there is less chance of damaging your multimeter with the Voltmeter test.
  • Victoria, Australia

Tags: