Author Topic: Brick vs Ural reminicing  (Read 10664 times)

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Brick vs Ural reminicing
« on: December 01, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »
Took the K for perhaps the last ride of the year yesterday, was again amazed how smooth and refined the old girl is compared to the Ural I bought 4 years ago. In 30 years and 190,000 miles  non-routine maintenance on the  K has been; rebuilt trans around 100k for bent shift fork and new shift drum.  Usual issues with the instrument pod.  New starter, ironically the only time it ever stranded me, on the way home from the dealer after I put money down on the Ural.  That's really about it, except for extensive tupperware damage after a deer hit.  The Ural, on the other hand,  4 1/2 years and about 30,000 miles.  Replaced rubber donut in driveshaft twice.  Replaced all 3 u-joints.  Bad bearing in rear end, complete rebuild. Extensive rust, not really it's fault, I ride in the salt all winter but the paint is a joke.  New speedometer.  Innumerable loose screws, bolts and adjustments. Replaced HES.  Transmission jumps out of 3rd, so far not enough to bother pulling it.   All this on top of a service schedule of oil changes and valves every 2500km (1550miles!) and a major service at 5000km.

Love em both, the K for distance and speed, the Ural for around town, hauling family and lumber, riding in snow, it's simple design makes maintenance easy, thankfully.  Really two completely different machines that compliment each other well.  After all I read about Urals before buying I actually expected more problems, what I didn't expect was how much it would make me appreciate both the bikes.  No good reason for posting this, just recovering from a cold wishing I was out riding.   :falldown:
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline billday

Re: Brick vs Ural reminicing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:13:54 PM »
Thanks for this, Chaos. I got on a kick this season of thinking how cool it would be to have a modern bike -- there are one or two that I find attractive. But damn every time I get out on my K -- which in the last couple of years has not been often enough -- I think, I love riding this motorcycle.

Part of the pleasure is knowing every inch of it, inside and out, just from normal maintenance and a couple of customizing projects. Knowing that if something goes wrong, I'll be able to figure it out and fix it -- that's a great feeling. (Plus, if I can't figure it out, one of you guys will know the answer.)
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
I agree 100% BUT.. I am starting to suffer from one brick syndrome.  I need at least one more so I have one to ride and one to fix - I am thinking a nice 75s maybe  :mm :riding:
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:15:30 AM »
If a K could have a sidecar with the 2WD I think my life would be complete
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »
If a K could have a sidecar with the 2WD I think my life would be complete

and reverse!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »
and reverse!

Yeah that wouldn't be bad. If I could find a K that's already set up with and for a sidecar I might pick one up someday
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »
That's a big reason I went with the Ural, they're the only outfit making a factory sidecar now a days.  There's some great aftermarket set ups, but they get pricey and I didn't want to go that route. Another neat thing with a rig is forgetting all you 2 wheel muscle memory instincts and learning how to keep a lopsided triangle between the lines.  Makes for an exciting learning curve. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline billday

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 02:05:40 PM »
That's a big reason I went with the Ural, they're the only outfit making a factory sidecar now a days.  There's some great aftermarket set ups, but they get pricey and I didn't want to go that route. Another neat thing with a rig is forgetting all you 2 wheel muscle memory instincts and learning how to keep a lopsided triangle between the lines.  Makes for an exciting learning curve.

You crazy thrill-seeker.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 02:17:42 PM »

I have often wondered if engineers would now design a sidecar at all if they had no knowledge of them previously? I have only ever tried to navigate a MX outfit and it was diabolical, but I didn't have a monkey only a heavy tool box strapped down on the chair.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 03:38:59 PM »
I have often wondered if engineers would now design a sidecar at all if they had no knowledge of them previously?

I have heard the original purpose of a sidecar was so early motorcyclists could enjoy the sport with their ladyfriends.  There was no pillion seat (it would be un-ladylike), putting a chair in front of the bike was downright too scary, behind the bike exposed her to dirt and exhaust, so sidecar it was with all it's inherent problems.  The fact everyone but Ural stopped make them speaks for itself, and the more car-like side by side seating contraptions like the scorpion. Morgan, and Spyder are probably better from an engineering standpoint.   I cannot understand why Harley dropped their sidecar instead of updating it, and replaced it with a trike.  I saw reports recently of 2 different trike fatalities, both low speed single vehicle, tried to turn too sharply and flipped.  Sidecars are worse in some ways but I think trikes give a false sense of stability.   
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Martin

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 03:04:16 AM »

Local BMW wrecker ( The BM shop ) used to have a WW2 BMW outfit in non restored condition as a project. It was in pretty good condition I was afraid to ask if it was for sale just in case it was and I couldn't afford it. I was in there a couple of months ago and didn't see it. I'll ask next time I go there, but I don't go there often.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Mongrel

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:57 AM »
Were sidecars for K's not available from BMW, at least in the 80's?

I'm certain I've seen full sidecars for K's before, including a K100 with sidecar in midwinter in Toronto. If the K sidecar was aftermarket they did an incredible job of making it look OEM and BMW-made. fit perfectly with the bike, even the paint seemed to perfectly match what looked like the original K's factory coat (that one was a silver colour). As far as I would have guessed it was sold that way from the original dealership.
'86 K75c
'79 Motobecane Mobylette (mothballed)

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 12:25:04 AM »
bmw hasn't offered a sidecar option since the 60's, my  /2 had lugs for mounts and a leading link with adjustable trail.  But even then Steib or some other manufacturer made the car.  EML and others do excellent conversions and there are quite a few running around. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline kris

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
New might be nice but there are so many good bikes out there on the used market. I keep an eye on Guzzis, VFR 800s, and I recently saw a '96 Yamaha YZF 1000 that certainly piqued my interest. It had only 12,000 mi/ 23,000 km on the clock and looked great. I wonder if Ural will ever get their act together. I've seen the video of their factory. It's medieval. Why wouldn't they invest in better manufacturing? Shit, even Putin rides a Harley (trike) and his buddies ride 2-wheel Harlies. I would have thought he would have ordered Ural to be better. But, Chaos, glad to hear you're loving both beasts. We are bone-dry here in the Hamilton/ Toronto area. We don't even have snow on the ground in Hamilton. I rode on January 2nd. Beautiful day. Today is a tad too cold...-11C/ 13F....no flippin way I'm riding in that!
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »
Kris, 2 degrees F here this morning,  took the Ural out.  My temperature limit seems to get a little lower each year as I get better gear.  Nothing heated, but hippo hands, pinlock, and lots of layering :riding:
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline kris

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
Holy Ice Cubes, Batman!! Chaos, you are a better man than me. I guess the Great Lakes are keeping us warmer than you guys. That's plenty frosty. Good on ya'! Stay safe.
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »
Kris, 2 degrees F here this morning,  took the Ural out.  My temperature limit seems to get a little lower each year as I get better gear.  Nothing heated, but hippo hands, pinlock, and lots of layering :riding:

My coldest ride was 14F, but an hour long commute at 70-80 mph
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C

Offline kris

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 09:20:16 PM »
F14, it's in your name...."Crazy"! You must have heated grips, at least. And at those speeds? I think you said, in an earlier post, that you are a fair bit younger than most of us older guys. That certainly helps in the cold.

I look at it this way....every day is a day closer to Spring! Roads are pretty salty right now. I'm sure there will be a number of rides before the official start of Spring. The girls sit ready in my garage, battery tenders tending, tanks full! Here's hoping!

"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline Jonico

• Royal K
  • Motobrick Curious
  • El Ladrillo Volador
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 02:11:40 AM »
Chaos, this resonates with me: I just scrapped my 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet after 80,000 km in 6 years and spending a few days at the mechanics every other month. Sticker price of $5100 plus $3600 more in repairs over the 6 years. I picked up my old brick (a K75RT) a few years ago and have spent almost nothing on repairs in nearly 40,000 km. And it sounds like I'll have it a good long while more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Madrid, Spain, Europe, Earth and Beyond!
  • 1986 K75RT with ABS (i.e., a K75F)
Living deliberately.

Offline Jonico

• Royal K
  • Motobrick Curious
  • El Ladrillo Volador
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:54 AM »
Were sidecars for K's not available from BMW, at least in the 80's?

I'm certain I've seen full sidecars for K's before, including a K100 with sidecar in midwinter in Toronto. If the K sidecar was aftermarket they did an incredible job of making it look OEM and BMW-made. fit perfectly with the bike, even the paint seemed to perfectly match what looked like the original K's factory coat (that one was a silver colour). As far as I would have guessed it was sold that way from the original dealership.
A friend of mine (the one who got me into these bricks) has a K1200LT with a FLEXIT sidecar. If you haven't ever seen a FLEXIT, it's worth googling. They lean in curves with the bike. But the guy who made them only made a hundred of them, so they're rare. Too bad-- their design is incredible. Here's a shot of the setup.

Living deliberately.

Offline Jonico

• Royal K
  • Motobrick Curious
  • El Ladrillo Volador
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 02:20:15 AM »

(Sorry for the double photo above-- butterfingers on this damn phone)

Living deliberately.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 08:39:02 AM »
Back around the turn of the century I had a Flexit on my K75.  Kids loved the motorized sliding canopy!  Friend of mine had 3 of them, I think he was trying to corner the market in the US.  Only had the one bike back then and the hack was a little much for the K75 so it was only on for a couple months.  But it was an interesting ride. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Jonico

• Royal K
  • Motobrick Curious
  • El Ladrillo Volador
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 04:18:14 PM »
Cool!! Yeah, I can imagine the K75 was a bit scarce on horsepower for the Flexit. The 1200LT does well-- and man oh man is it ever a head-turner and smile-maker when you ride into a town :-)

Living deliberately.

Tags: