Author Topic: Bokobob crashed  (Read 19332 times)

Offline White Dog

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Bokobob crashed
« on: November 23, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »
Guys, today I heard from Bokobob, a good friend, that he passed out while riding his Kawa Vulcan recently, breaking a leg and shoulder blade. He wrote me he was starting PT and is in a nursing home. Bob owned a K75 until this past spring and sold it to me.  He was a poster on this board.  Bob told me he has owned 25 cycles in the past 4-5 years, several of which were BMWs.  He likes to ride fast, too.[/size]Bob just turned 80 a month or so ago and was riding about every day. Prayers for his quick recovery I know will be appreciated.
  • Basement Garage
  • '95 K75 ABS.
'95 K75 ABS Red
'96 R1100RT Burnt Orange
2008 Goldwing Black
2014 CB1100 Std. Black
Reside in NC

Offline K1300S

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Bokobob crashed
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:10:02 PM »
Yikes.   Passed out while riding?  That's not good.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »
injuries at that age are soooo much worse.  I dread a get off nowadays at the tender age of 63, maybe that's why I ride the Ural so much.  Best wishes for a speedy successful recovery for your friend.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline White Dog

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:50:19 PM »
I wished I knew more, but he said typing was a pain now.  Maybe later on we will know more.  Bob is a "young" 80 year old.  I just hope I have some of his energy when I get his age.
  • Basement Garage
  • '95 K75 ABS.
'95 K75 ABS Red
'96 R1100RT Burnt Orange
2008 Goldwing Black
2014 CB1100 Std. Black
Reside in NC

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 10:51:30 PM »
Best wishes Bokobob I hope you make a swift recovery.

I have an 80 year old friend who plays tennis three times a week, golfs twice and eats, drinks and makes merry in between.  So if they say you are too old to ride tell them to go to hell and ride if you want!
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:46:27 AM »

Best wishes and a speedy recovery. White Dog please pass it along.
Best regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 09:47:54 AM »
I had wondered where he'd gone.  Here's hoping he heals up quickly and gets back out on the road again.  And that he gets that passing out thing sorted so he can keep riding safely.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline White Dog

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »
I had wondered where he'd gone.  Here's hoping he heals up quickly and gets back out on the road again.  And that he gets that passing out thing sorted so he can keep riding safely.
Bob had never mentioned a problem with passing out.  He displayed to me a quick-witted, smart mind and healthy body and enjoys riding motorcycles.
  • Basement Garage
  • '95 K75 ABS.
'95 K75 ABS Red
'96 R1100RT Burnt Orange
2008 Goldwing Black
2014 CB1100 Std. Black
Reside in NC

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »
Guys, today I heard from Bokobob, a good friend, that he passed out while riding his Kawa Vulcan recently, breaking a leg and shoulder blade. He wrote me he was starting PT and is in a nursing home. Bob owned a K75 until this past spring and sold it to me.  He was a poster on this board.  Bob told me he has owned 25 cycles in the past 4-5 years, several of which were BMWs.  He likes to ride fast, too.Bob just turned 80 a month or so ago and was riding about every day. Prayers for his quick recovery I know will be appreciated.
Hope Bob is on his way to a quick recovery.

I've been reading a number of articles on when it is time to hang it up.  Probably just me noticing them as I age (approaching 60) but there seem to be more articles on the subject.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 02:16:06 AM »
So sorry to hear about Bokobob........he's in the Charlotte,NC area right? Could you get A mailing address at his nursing home? Like to send him  card.
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline White Dog

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »
Bob Kontak
BelAire Health Care Center
2065 Lyon St
Gastonia, NC 28052
  • Basement Garage
  • '95 K75 ABS.
'95 K75 ABS Red
'96 R1100RT Burnt Orange
2008 Goldwing Black
2014 CB1100 Std. Black
Reside in NC

Offline stokester

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 01:51:31 PM »
Hope Bob is on his way to a quick recovery.

I've been reading a number of articles on when it is time to hang it up.  Probably just me noticing them as I age (approaching 60) but there seem to be more articles on the subject.
It has been brought to my attention that I may be suggesting that it is or was time for Bokobob to hang it up base on his age.

This is NOT the case and I wish him a full recovery back to his riding only meaning to refer to my age and desire to never have to quit.

• Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »
You get old after you quit riding, not before.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline mw074

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 09:22:25 AM »
Best wishes Bob. Get well quick, Mike
  • Michigan

Offline gazman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 07:39:05 AM »
Heal swiftly and ride on best wishes for a speedy recovery  :2thumbup:
  • west australia
  • 93 K1100LT

Offline Bokobob

• I am a 1936 Model
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:14 AM »
Thanks to Roger (Whitedog) and all of you for empathy expressed....Here's the deal:  I left home on my Vulcan 500 and without feeling dizzy or anything, I passed out about 150 feet of leaving home....I don't remember passing out..The next thing I knew is being on the road with paramedics avove me checking me out for injuries...As Whitedog said, I had a broken shoulder blade and leg..That was on November 17th of 2016....I was in the hospital for a week and more and then in a rehab place for close to two weeks..It took until Dec 23rd to get me into a walking boot...before that I was forbidden to put weight on the casted broken leg...It was so nice to walk again.. On Jan 26th I will be done with the walking boot..

Doctors cannot determine why I passed out...Thus it could happen again...So, regrettably, I have retired completely from riding.  (Rats, as I just bought a brand new, pearl white Indian Scout Sixty (999 CC) that was a knockout...It's for sale, cheap...800 miles.

I am so grateful that I was wearing a full face helmet...It may have been a lifesaver...it is badly gouged and scratched on both side of the "jaw" and also the entire face guard...Had I even had a 3/4 helmet on, my jaws and chin would have been pulverized...

For the past week or so I have been checking out Miata sport cars and so on...I'll probably not go that route, however, as I could just take many trips in my part of the country with the Honda Accord with the money.

No moral of the story...It's just life..
  • Gastonia, NC
Grace + Peace,
Bob
1995 BMW K75
2104 Honda CB1100 Standard 4 cyl
1994 Honda Magna 750 V4
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 07:29:57 AM »
I am so grateful that I was wearing a full face helmet...It may have been a lifesaver...it is badly gouged and scratched on both side of the "jaw" and also the entire face guard...Had I even had a 3/4 helmet on, my jaws and chin would have been pulverized...
Thanks for the update, Bob. Walking is often underrated until it isn't possible. :giggles  Glad your comeback is underway.

Your description of your helmet should be a cautionary tale for everybody.

Your frugality toward spending for a Miata is admirable. They're really impractical. Consider, on the other hand, that a ragtop Mini-Cooper (BMW owned :yes  ) or a ziptop Fiat will give you that motorcycle wind-in-the-hair—or on the scalp, as the case may be—feeling, and still be able to carry a bag of groceries and a fishing rod, too. The Fiat gives you the added features of its car-like stability and motorcycle-like mechanical neediness in one package. How can you go wrong with that?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Bokobob

• I am a 1936 Model
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 08:01:33 AM »
Thank you, Laitch.....I appreciate your suggestions about the Fiat and mini cooper..If you would specify which models of each brand you like I"d be keen to know.  I note that MANY Fiat 500s are listed for sale and I imagine they are an underpowered novelty and people quickly tire of them...

(The bikes listed with my signature are out of date...Now have a  09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 and a 16 Indian Scout Sixty)

my main biking years were from 2008 to 2016 during which time I bought 29 bikes and sold off 27.  No regrets...I had my day.

Best to all, 

• Gastonia, NC
Grace + Peace,
Bob
1995 BMW K75
2104 Honda CB1100 Standard 4 cyl
1994 Honda Magna 750 V4
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
If you would specify which models of each brand you like I"d be keen to know.  I note that MANY Fiat 500s are listed for sale . . .
The difference between the Mini convertible models is that one gets to 60mph 1.5 seconds faster than the other, but it needs an additional $6000 or so to make that possible. I like the slow one.

Fiats have alway been underpowered novelties. They're the perfect car for someone who doesn't need to get anywhere in a hurry. That's why they were popular in Italy. The few people that did need to get somewhere quickly were so desperate they'd pay $60,000 for a Maserati.

The concern with these sporty runners is ease of seating and self-extraction. I had a Subaru once that made me feel like I was sitting in a Fisher-Price Cozy Coupe. The Cooper didn't seem too bad.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »
It's good and bad news you bring Bob.  Good that you are healing, bad that you can no longer ride and be part of the community here.

When I got back into riding a few years back I dug out my old Bell R/T from my enduro days.  When I started thinking about how the lower part of my face hung out of it, it wasn't hard to see the value of a full face model.  It appears you have confirmed my decision to go with a modular helmet.

Regarding 4 wheelers, specifically Fiats, I have noticed that Fiat makes a push into the U.S. market about every 20 years, and within 2-3 years is gone again.  I have noticed recently that there are a lot of used Fiats for sale, and almost none to be seen on the road compared to a year or so ago.  This is similar to what I observed during past attempts to enter the U.S. market. 

I can recall during the 70's how models like the 124 and 850 literally fell apart six months after purchase, and were almost impossible to keep running.  They were even worse than the classic British sports cars if you can imagine that.  A new Fiat was about as reliable as a 10 year old MG.  Never take one further than you want to walk home.

As for the mini.  My kids are long time motor heads, and as of now, two out of three own Mini's and love them.  In fact, my daughter has recently purchased her second.  The third, is a manager in a pharmaceutical company and her job requires she have something a bit larger, and despite the fact she likes the mini, she drives an Audi company car.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »

Glad to hear you have recovered, but sorry to hear that they can't work out why you passed out, and now you have to give up bikes. You could always cross over to the dark side and get a Ural with a chair.
I've been tempted to wear an open faced helmet that I still have, on hot days, but so far I've resisted the temptation. But I am going to have to find a lighter  helmet than my Nolan flip or my RXT full, my neck tends to get sore on long rides.
Best regards from OZ.

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »
Glad to hear you are up and moving. Take a look at a Ural before you hang your helmet up. I think there is a dealer in Charlotte. +1 on the Mini.....owned a JPS version and it was quick! A convertible would sure be nice in the mountains this Spring!
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »

Your frugality toward spending for a Miata is admirable. They're really impractical.

Ha ha,  this coming from and to a motorcycle guy!  Somewhat impractical beasts if I do so so.  My 2 cents, I did very well with a Triumph Spitfire for a couple decades, a Miata would be several magnitudes improvement over that.  Another consideration is a sidecar, Ural's in particular because  (A)they are slow so you might not get in over your head going fast (B) they are such an attention getter you waste tons of time talking to total strangers about them (C) they break down lots so you have an excuse to tinker out in the garage (D)they have reverse, and (E) they are so damn much fun you'll wish you'd bought one years ago. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Martin

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »

There you go Bob buy a Ural, change your name to Boris, and buy a Ural. And if your not married import a Bride from Russia named Natasha.
 :2thumbup: Problem solved.

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
Martin: I think that would be Natasha the Techbride ...
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Tags: