Author Topic: 10977 to Floyd, VA and back  (Read 4055 times)

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
10977 to Floyd, VA and back
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »
This past May -- my first trip on my rather homely 1985 K100.

My bike started life as an RS; when I bought it (for a song) last August it had RT bars and had lost its fairing somewhere along the way. But it still had the H bracket attached to the frame, and the big square headlight hanging on with zip ties. Odd. Over the winter I changed to a fork-mounted headlight and RS bars. Since these pictures were taken I added an aftermarket bikini fairing and new turn signals to clean up the front of the bike and give me some relief from the wind.

The trip -- about 1100 miles from my home in the NYC suburbs to Floyd, VA and back. Floyd is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and also home to http://www.spikenardfarm.org/new/index.shtml Spikenard Farm Bee Sanctuary and Gunther Hauk, my mentor in beekeeping. So I got a great ride and also got to attend a workshop of Gunther's.

Pictures are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/williamhday/SpikenardFarmTripMay2011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLHwuLTltY-nHA&feat=directlink I hope you don't mind bees, there are as many pictures of the workshop as of the ride.

Notes on the ride: The first day I went as far as Front Royal, VA, so the second day I could take my time on the BRP. The BRP is beautiful, like everyone says, and on a Friday in May there was no traffic. But the speed limit is low and there's no local culture. On US 340, by contrast, I got to see farms and towns, and found a tankful of corn-free gas.

Friday night in Floyd, VA is a blast -- people playing country, gospel and bluegrass everywhere -- a big buffet of mountain music, highly recommended.

The little roads around Floyd are the the best riding ever -- no traffic, constantly changing elevation, curve after curve.

I did the ride home in one shot, interstate all the way. Not very stimulating but good to know I could do it, because in October I'm planning to ride to SE Arizona and back, 5,000 plus miles.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline bobw

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: 10977 to Floyd, VA and back
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
That's some pretty country and you had just a small taste of the area's roads and fun things to explore. If you enjoyed the regional music, this is a fun place not too far from where you stayed. Y'all come back now  ;D

http://www.blueridgemusiccenter.org/blueridgeparkway.aspx
currently riding an aprilia Futura
previous motorcycles
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
BMW R1200R
Triumph Sprint
Triumph Bonnie
many, many others over 45 years from Honda to Hodaka

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »
There's a speed limit on the BRP?  ;)
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline ned37

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
There's a speed limit on the BRP?
yes, it's called "fog"
ned
---------------
'92 k75rt/c
cottonwood, az

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 02:19:49 PM »
I rode the BRP in mid-May back in 2004 on a Wednesday.  No cars. I got really bored doing 8 over so I decided to wick it up a bit.  I hadn't seen a car in about 25 miles when I came up behind a Toyota and had to slow down.  The next turn I passed two moto cops going the other way. ;D
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Tags: